Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magical Music Moments on TV

Magical Music Moments on TV

For me its a transmission by the BBC in about 1972. At the time there were no girl drummers (that I knew of - later I found out about 'Honey' Lantree of the Honeycombs). There on the screen was a girl drummer - Karen Carpenter. We couldn't take our eyes off her.
    Sadly, at the time I didn't appreciate I was watching the greatest and most expressive female pop/rock vocalist of our times.
    A magic moment indeed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX3ANSbH6Lg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember on The Donnie & Marie show a chorus of men dressed as babies, drinking energetically from large baby bottles. It was disgusting.

Numerous moments, of course, but I'll start with seeing Rory Gallagher on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert... maybe 1976/77.
    I remember thinking, "Why isn't he as popular as Peter Frampton?" (not knocking Frampton at all, mind you).

Quote Originally Posted by philipmchugh View Post
    A magic moment indeed.
    Magical ideed! Thank's for posting!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Thanks for the video!
    Here is an interesting link about their presentation:

http://www.indeepmusicarchive.net/20...live-bbc-1971/
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I hope I never stop getting chills every time I hear Karen Carpenter sing. Imo there has NEVER been a sexier low-register female vocalist (sorry, Eartha).

Bing & Bowie is one I'll never forget.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I recall a clip from back in the 70's with Glen Campbell playing with Roy Clark and both of them were shredding:

https://youtu.be/KOtgTiDdoXM
    https://youtu.be/A-sExIVBVaw

I don't even like country music, but these are magical...

I've mentioned this a few times before but Allman Brothers Band performing True Gravity with Doc Severinsen & The Tonight Show Brass, back in 1990, is the top of the list for me, probably.

Sonic Youth the first time they were on Letterman, back in 90 or 91 or whenever it was, was another one. They played 100%, with the World's Most Dangerous Band. I remember the bit where they pulled out these baseball bats and started making all this horrendous noise for the song's coda. At the end of the song, Paul Shaffer had his Minimoog dangling behind his Hammond organ. One of the Sonic Youth guys, either Thurston Moore or Lee Ranaldo, had to come to the rescue. It was brilliant.

Right before he left NBC, Dave had Pete Townshend on. This would have been 92 or 93, I think. Pete had a new album out, so what does he do? Well, he comes onstage with an acoustic guitar, starts playing the intro to Pinball Wizard, then when he gets to the last chord of the intro, before the Bsuspended4th, he steps up to the mic and says, "I don't know why we're not doing something from my new album!". He then launches into the song proper, the band joins in, they do a great performance, then at the end Pete smashes his the guitar. Dave makes a comment about it, to which Pete says, "We'll auction it off for charity! It's worth more this way!".

Actually, come to think of it, Pete was on Letterman in 89, ostensibly again to promote his latest solo album, though The Who were on tour at the time, as well. This performance went without incident, except at the end of the song, Pete swung his guitar (again, acoustic around) in this big showmanship/conducting flourish, and in the process, knocked over a mic stand. With a mic on it. So Dave immediately starts giving him grief about it, "Look at what you've done!". A couple years late,r during one of the anniversary shows, they showed a montage of clips of musical guests, ending with that moment, which they freeze framed so you could see him knock over the mic stand, and Dave then says, "Yes, we made him pay for the microphone!". Then there was the interview, which was one of the better ones I've seen Pete do over the years.

Mark Egan guest hosting VH-1's old New VIsions show was pretty cool. He brought his doubleneck Pedulla bass with him and played two solo pieces, one of which was a piece from his first solo album called Valley Hymn. The other one was a piece from one of the Elements albums called Airiel View (and that's not a typo, the first syllable is spelled "Air" on the album cover).

When Bill Bruford hosted New Visions he brought along David Torn, who played a solo guitar piece, which I seem to recall was pretty amazing. I also remember Michael Hedges appearing on New Visions, where he played a then unnamed piece on a small parlor sized guitar.

I also remember seeing Michael Hedges on a show on PBS. Actually, I remember seeing him a couple times on PBS, once I think most have been around the time first album came out (or maybe even before it), and he seemed to performing in what looked like a small club or coffeehouse. I think he mostly did these sort of singer songwriter type things, with a few instrumentals interspersed.

But the other time I saw him on PBS, was maybe two or three years after that, PBS showed a concert that was shot at Wolf Trap, which is, I think, an open air concert venue in the Washington DC area. ANyway, the concert was all Widham Hill artists. Will Ackerman, Hedges, and Shadowfax each I think about 10-15 minutes. Watching Hedges play Because It's There on harp guitar was pretty cool.

Eric Johnson's second Austin City Limits show, in 1989, is another one that comes to mind. I was already a fan, having listened to Tones incessantly. He wore this sort of marching band uniform jacket and this very 1980's hairdo. He mostly did stuff that would eventually be released on Ah Via Musicom (which was still a year or two from being released), Zap, and Love Or Confusion by Jimi Hendrix. They only showed a half hour of the performance (the other half hour of that particular episode was Timbuk 3, as I recall), but the entire performance (something like 90 minutes) was eventually released on DVD, and it was interesting to see how they changed the running order of the songs that were aired, plus how they created an artificial segue by editing two pieces together.

Roger McGuinn on Austin City Limits around the same time was another good one. He came on with a 12 string acoustic, and did a half hour of Byrds songs. He actually told a story that linked several of the songs together, I think starting off by talking about the Gene Tryp musical that he originally wrote Chestnut Mare and I Wanna Grow To Be A Politician for, but the story eventually ends up including Mr. Spaceman and Mr Tambourine Man. He also did a cool version of 8 Miles High, and ended with So You Want To Be A Rock N Roll Star, imploring the listener to "just get yourself an acoustic guitar".

Motorhead (!!!) performing on The Tonight Show, just after Jay Leno took over, was also pretty cool. At the time, Branford Marsalis was the bandleader of the house band, and apparently he and Lemmy had a bet about whether or not, they'd let Motorhead on the show. At the end of the first song they did (Hellraiser, I think it was), Lemmy walks across the stage, and pulls out some green folding paper, and hands it to Branford, before going over to talk to Jay. Then after interviewing Lemmy, the next guest was...I think Edie McClurg (a TV actress who was probably on some sitcom at the time), and Lemmy was sort of playfully flirting with her. At the end of the segment with Edie, the announcer says, "If we can pry Lemmy off Edie, we'll have more from Motorhead next". I thikn the second song was Going To Brazil.

And that reminds me of the time Lemmy and Phil Campbell played with The World's Most Dangerous Band on Letterman. As I recall, this was a couple years before the Tonight Show one, because they were promoting 1918 at the time (Dave seemed to not know the name of the record). Anyhow, I don't remember what song they did, apart from Lemmy walking up to the mic and saying, "Good evening!". Then after the song, they go to commercial, they come back and Lemmy is sitting next to Dave, who says, "Well, that was very nice, but if you do that again, we'll have to close the youth center". Lemmy replies, "Well, awright then!".

Then of course, there was whole Live Aid experience, which had a whole load of magical moments, such as Status Quo kicking off the show, The Boomtown Rats doing I Don't Like Mondays, Queen's entire set, and a bunch of other things here and there, as well as a few less than glorious moments (eg David Gilmour's guitar dying during the first song of Bryan Ferry's set, The Who and Led Zeppelin reunions, etc). I also remember Mick Jagger yanking off Tina Turner's leather skirt during State Of Shock, too.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Bing & Bowie is one I'll never forget.
    That was a weird one. The story I heard was that one of Bing's producers suggested he should do a song with a "contemporary" artist. So Bing asked his grandkids who he should sing with, and one of them was apparently a Bowie fan, so that's how that happened.

Edgar Winter Group doing Frankenstein on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973 kinda blew a lot of minds at my high school including my 13 year old one. Not sure how 'live' some bits of it were.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've mentioned this a few times before but Allman Brothers Band performing True Gravity with Doc Severinsen & The Tonight Show Brass, back in 1990, is the top of the list for me, probably.
    I scrolled down in this thread and was going to comment that I look forward to GuitarGeek mentioning (rightfully so) the A-Bros appearance on Carson.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Queen at Live Aid

Guns N' Roses on MTV Video Music Awards (1988)

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Edgar Winter Group doing Frankenstein on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973 kinda blew a lot of minds at my high school including my 13 year old one. Not sure how 'live' some bits of it were.
    (Another video spoiled by that shitty youtube stabilizer program.) I'm also old enough to remember seeing this when it first went out. Everybody (ie me and about five friends!) was talking about it the next day.
    I know a few of the early OGWT performances were mimed (eg Alice Cooper, New York Dolls), but I'm pretty sure this one wasn't. That band was tight and extremely well-rehearsed.

'Frankenstein' is definitely live, it's twice as long as the studio one. It is indeed a classic performance but I never heard anything else by Edgar Winter I liked as much as this track.

David Sanborn's Night Music show 1988-1990. It's amazing he got away with this for two seasons on network television.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday...an_TV_program)

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    David Sanborn's Night Music show 1988-1990. It's amazing he got away with this for two seasons on network television.
    Dammit, I knew I forgot something. There was an episode of that show that featured Nona Hendryx, Adrian Belew, Elliott Sharp, Pops Staples, and I believe Iva Papasova was the Eastern European guy who also appeared on the show. The big jam at the end had the E#, Belew, Pops, and Nona playing with the house band. During the song, E#, Belew, and house guitarist Hiram Bullock all take these really outside guitar solos, and I remember watching it the first time and wondering what was going through Pops' mind, like ya know, "Boys, what the hell are you doing over there?!". Then the closing credits song was Take Me To The River, and this time Bittova joined in, with the tune fading out as he took a very Eastern European sounding clarinet solo.

I remember hearing at one point, there was also an episode with Conway Twitty and The Residents. I kinda had the impression they actually played together at the end of that show, but when I finally got to see it on Youtube, I was slightly disappointed to find out that The Residents (if that in fact was the Residents wearing the costumes) merely danced slowly while Conway sang with the house band. Still kinda cool, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Frankenstein' is definitely live, it's twice as long as the studio one..
    Well, they could have been miming to a version of the piece that was recorded especially for the purpose. I know there was some absurd union regulation that dictated if someone was gonna mime or lip synch for the BBC cameras, they still had to record a special version just for that. I know that's what happened when Queen did Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy on Top Of The Pops, for instance (though the times they did Seven Seas Of Rye, Killer Queen and Las Palabras De Amour, I believe they just mimed to the regular album versions).

But having said that, given that Old Grey Whistle Test was primarily a live music presentation, I'm guessing they're actually playing live there.

Fiddlers Three from 1977 on PBS.

That Ponty performance changed my musical life.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For me it would be seeing the Beatles and Stones on Sullivan. Seeing Chicago in their prime on a Duke Ellington TV special, around 1973. Grand Funk on Kirchner was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    A favourite! Some really good stuff there!!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, they could have been miming to a version of the piece that was recorded especially for the purpose. I know there was some absurd union regulation that dictated if someone was gonna mime or lip synch for the BBC cameras, they still had to record a special version just for that. I know that's what happened when Queen did Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy on Top Of The Pops, for instance (though the times they did Seven Seas Of Rye, Killer Queen and Las Palabras De Amour, I believe they just mimed to the regular album versions).

But having said that, given that Old Grey Whistle Test was primarily a live music presentation, I'm guessing they're actually playing live there.
    A surprising amount of OGWT was lip-synched, although possibly to a new recording. Bob Harris explicitly mentions The Who's performance of 'Relay' is them performing to the album version; don't know why he singled them out.

Back in the day of day long telethon concerts, this performance stands out for me. Tingles down the spine.
    Amnesty International Concert June 15, 1986
    Burn
    Miles Davis, Carlos Santana, Robben Ford, Adam Holtzman et al
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    A surprising amount of OGWT was lip-synched, although possibly to a new recording. Bob Harris explicitly mentions The Who's performance of 'Relay' is them performing to the album version; don't know why he singled them out.
    The reason I mentioned it was because at the final iteration of the theme, Edgar is on drums rather than synth - yet the theme sounds the same as when he was playing synth at the start of the performance.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Frankenstein' is definitely live, it's twice as long as the studio one. It is indeed a classic performance but I never heard anything else by Edgar Winter I liked as much as this track.
    His album "Entrance." It's pretty proggy.