Thread: Pete Sinfield status?

Pete Sinfield status?

The passing of Greg Lake got me to wondering about Pete Sinfield. I know that he had a heart attack in 2013. His web and Facebook pages have not been updated since early 2014.

Has anyone heard how he is doing?

I'd like to know, too.

Don't know either, but I have always loved his lyrics. And I'm lucky enough to have a copy of his book of lyrics and poems that was published at the time of his Still album. It's something I'll always cherish. Hope he's doing OK, and of course no news is good news. I'm sure he's very happy that the current King Crimson have brought many of the early songs with his lyrics back to life. On the first tour of the new KC in 2014, Sinfield wrote new lyrics to the first verse of 21st Century Schizoid Man to reflect the current sad situation of mankind. I know Jakko is writing lyrics for some of the new songs, but I wish they would also invite Peter back into the fold, because IMO the current band is now so much like it was in the Sinfield era. Quien Sabe?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

This photo appeared earlier this year on the old DGM web site but I can't find it on the new site; perhaps it did not make the transition. There was a chance meeting between Sinfield and David Cross at a restaurant. I can't remember who the third gentleman is.

Cross Sinfield.jpg

^^
    Looks like David Jackson to me...

^^^^Yeah, it's Jackson. Since his departure from VDGG, he's been involved in many other music projects, especially in Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing on a future Cross album.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Per the David Cross Band facebook page, Jackson was supposed to play with them earlier this month, but fell and broke his ankle a few days before the event.

Very recently, as in a few months ago, he was on a BBC4 Top Of The Pops-related documentary which had a bit about one of his songs for Bucks Fizz ('The Land Of Make Believe').

Still living in Suffolk UK. Looked in good health when the local news went around to his lighthouse to interview him about Greg Lake's death.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Still living in Suffolk UK. Looked in good health when the local news went around to his lighthouse to interview him about Greg Lake's death.

Do you have any links to that news coverage?
    Laura

He lives in a lighthouse?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Never got over the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Do you have any links to that news coverage?
    It would have been on BBC iplayer for only a couple of days. They do not leave the local news on there for very long, so it's gone already.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Actually a might have been misinformed, he's on the beach front but I can't find the source that specifically stated it was the lighthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Actually a might have been misinformed, he's on the beach front but I can't find the source that specifically stated it was the lighthouse.

Too bad, actually. A lighthouse is suitably poetic.

When I met David Jackson at ProgDay, one of the things he talked about was Pete. David said Pete's suffering dementia these days. Apparently, he lives in a very messy house, with lots of newspapers around the living area. Apparently, Fripp asked Sinfield to write new words for some of the early Crimson songs that he was preparing to perform with the new Crimson. I think David said Fripp's brief was for Pete to write some words relevant to the current state of world affairs (ie instead of writing about Vietnam, write something about Iraq or Afghanistan).

Anyhow, so it apparently took ages to get the Sinfield to deliver what Fripp asked for. Then at some point, it was learned that Pete had written down the new lyrics on a newspaper, I guess while working on a crossword puzzle. So they had to go through all these old newspapers trying to find the one with the new words for, I think David said In The Court Of The Crimson King itself. Finally, they managed to find the page, and took a photo of it and e-mailed it to Fripp so he could get the new words to Jakko for rehearsal purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    When I met David Jackson at ProgDay, one of the things he talked about was Pete. David said Pete's suffering dementia these days. Apparently, he lives in a very messy house, with lots of newspapers around the living area. Apparently, Fripp asked Sinfield to write new words for some of the early Crimson songs that he was preparing to perform with the new Crimson. I think David said Fripp's brief was for Pete to write some words relevant to the current state of world affairs (ie instead of writing about Vietnam, write something about Iraq or Afghanistan).

Anyhow, so it apparently took ages to get the Sinfield to deliver what Fripp asked for. Then at some point, it was learned that Pete had written down the new lyrics on a newspaper, I guess while working on a crossword puzzle. So they had to go through all these old newspapers trying to find the one with the new words for, I think David said In The Court Of The Crimson King itself. Finally, they managed to find the page, and took a photo of it and e-mailed it to Fripp so he could get the new words to Jakko for rehearsal purposes.
    That's really sad if it's true. 😞

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Never got over the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

the newspaper thing all over the living areas remind me of my father's dementia
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.