Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +Live+ Reunite: New Album & Tour in 2017

+Live+ Reunite: New Album & Tour in 2017

http://freaks4live.com/

THE ORIGINAL LINE-UP OF +LIVE+ REUNITE FOR 2017 WORLDWIDE CONCERT TOUR

The original line-up of +LIVE+--Ed Kowalczyk (vocals, guitar), Chad Taylor (guitar, backing vocals), Patrick Dahlheimer (bass) and Chad Gracey (drums, percussion)--have reunited for a worldwide tour including North America in 2017. The band is now writing and recording new music TBA. *See the Q&A with the band below.

Known as one of the most potent alternative rock acts and concert attractions--with their powerful musical dynamics, vocal fervor and questing lyrics--+LIVE+ will announce tour dates in the new year. The itinerary will be a mix of select headlining shows and key festival appearances.

2017 will mark the 25th anniversary of their debut album Mental Jewelry (released December 31, 1991). The multi-platinum band from Pennsylvania have sold over 22 million albums worldwide and earned two number one albums (Throwing Copper, Secret Samadhi). Their catalog is filled with such gems as “Lightning Crashes,” “I Alone,” “All Over You,” and “Lakini’s Juice,” which live on today as classics at rock radio.

The original line-up of +LIVE+ performed their last show in July 2009 before going off in different directions. Rediscovering their friendship has healed old differences, setting the stage for the four members to come together to make music again.

As we have already discussed on Facebook, I am hoping this tour comes near me as I have never seen them.

Yeah, this may be one to check out, thanks for the heads up.

IMHO, "Lightning Crashes" is one of the 5 best songs ever written by an alt-rock band.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Good band. Saw them back in the day and they were terrific.
    The Prog Corner

The eons are closing
    Secret Samadhi is my fave. Good to hear.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Didn't they only have those "+" signs before and after the name on one studio album?

I do like a handful of their songs, but I'm not dedicated to them or anything.

I did see them almost 10 years ago with Ed. Good show, although not highly memorable.

Their last couple of albums I recall struggling with, but with a reunion, maybe there'll be more inspiration.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never heard a song of theirs that I'm aware of. Like James.

I'm very stoked for the next phase for +Live+

They are one of my all-time favorite bands -- been a fan of their music for close to 25 years. I am extremely fortunate to have become friends with them, which led to me working with Live. I was also Ed's tour manager for his first solo tour after he parted ways with Live. I'm happy for these guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've never heard a song of theirs that I'm aware of. Like James.
    I am guessing you might have heard some of their stuff like "I Alone" or "Lightning Crashes", both were pretty big hits especially on rock radio back in the early 90's

Did they change their name to +Live+ so they wouldn't fall into that category of un-searchable names with Yes, Can and The The?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Ed has (had?) an incredibly powerful voice, listen to Pain Lies on the Riverside... Lightning Crashes is their "Stairway to Heaven" song...

Hopefully they will play near LA/OC...

As of this posting, we are less than an hour away…

From Live:

https://www.facebook.com/THEBANDLIVE/

We have something very special in store for you...tune in on Facebook Live this Saturday @ 11:30pm ET!

One of my favourite tracks is The Dam At Otter Creek, which just builds and builds to an explosive finale. Cool album opener! Most of the Secret Samadhi album is excellent as well, particularly the underrated track Insomnia And The Hole In The Universe.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I should probably give Secret Samadhi and Throwing Copper another chance, because they have been collecting dust on my shelf for years. I remember that the songs were pretty good, but the vocalist always made me want to rip my ears off every time he opened his mouth and started to bleat.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Secret Samadhi is my fave. Good to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Most of the Secret Samadhi album is excellent as well, particularly the underrated track Insomnia And The Hole In The Universe.
    For anyone who is into Secret Samadhi, I urge you to check out The Churchbox Sessions.

A few years ago, Chad Taylor (guitarist) had a blog. A fan asked Chad to detail what unreleased recorded history the band has in their vault. Chad posted a very lengthy account of everything he has catalogued. Sometime later, he released The Churchbox Sessions to the public via a Twitter post. You had to download a particular app. Once that app was downloaded, the files were within. They were only available for less than 30 minutes. These sessions also featured 3 complete songs that have never made it onto a +Live+ album to date. Secret Samadhi is my favorite album of theirs and these recordings are divine.

Here is a portion of that blog post from Chad Taylor:

SECRET SAMADHI CHURCHBOX DEMO, 1996 (Columbia, PA) age, 25yrs.
    MEDIA FORMAT: DAT

Throwing Copper changed the game. It was a massive success only overshadowed by the tour that surrounded it. PJ Harvey (don’t forget the towel), Veruca Salt, Weezer and Jimmy Chicken Shack were only a few of the openers to support us as we toured the globe for two years non-stop. I bought a house (with cash I might add) and moved into a swanky neighborhood in Lancaster, PA only a few blocks from where Ed had also purchased a home. We were in our early 20’s with way too much money & fame. We both wanted to chill out and enjoy the fruits of our hard work. Gracey moved to Portland OR to marry his first wife and Patrick escaped to the party life of South Beach. The Lancaster clan continued with the high pace energy of the road while still living in a small town. The two didn’t mix well as we ate, drank and generally raised hell from bar-to-bar all in the spirit of celebration. I wrote the riff to Lakini’s Juice on the third floor of my house, passing out over several bottles of red wine but the vast majority of songs were assembled at The Chameleon Club. We had arranged with owner & friend Rich Ruoff to let us write, rehearse and record (still have the cassette) during the daytime hours when the club was closed. Ed brought in GasHed and I nearly died it was so good. The first recording, a board tape from The Chameleon is one million times better than anything on the album! Fuck, I just got chills writing about it. We were so excited, we called Ken and Jay at the Churchbox and booked some time to demo the new material. Ghost would feature the churches massive pipe organ (still better than the album), Freaks, Mall Rat, Photograph and Turn My Head are a few I can recall. Gary liked the vibe but didn’t think we had the single and would push us further. In my opinion, this is the greatest creative era of Live and thankfully, The Churchbox Session are very well documented. I would go as far as to say that the early energy captured in these demos blows always anything we captured on the album. The audio quality is amazing.

Love this band. Least favorite is probably V. I've even grown to like Songs From the Mountain though at first it didn't really grab me. I enjoy the Public Affection demos too, but I don't listen to them a lot.

Remember the split being very acrimonious and out of left field (from the outside looking in) Have Ed's first solo album, but I never really followed too much about what's gone on since the split. I'd see them again if they came around here and the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    For anyone who is into Secret Samadhi, I urge you to check out The Churchbox Sessions.

A few years ago, Chad Taylor (guitarist) had a blog. A fan asked Chad to detail what unreleased recorded history the band has in their vault. Chad posted a very lengthy account of everything he has catalogued. Sometime later, he released The Churchbox Sessions to the public via a Twitter post. You had to download a particular app. Once that app was downloaded, the files were within. They were only available for less than 30 minutes. These sessions also featured 3 complete songs that have never made it onto a +Live+ album to date. Secret Samadhi is my favorite album of theirs and these recordings are divine.

Here is a portion of that blog post from Chad Taylor:

Love this band. Least favorite is probably V. I've even grown to like Songs From the Mountain though at first it didn't really grab me. I enjoy the Public Affection demos too, but I don't listen to them a lot.

Remember the split being very acrimonious and out of left field (from the outside looking in) Have Ed's first solo album, but I never really followed too much about what's gone on since the split. I'd see them again if they came around here and the price was right.

V had a few good tracks on it IMO, but Songs From The Mountain did nothing for me at all. I never heard Ed's solo stuff or whatever the Live guys did without him. The first four albums or so are plenty to scratch that itch for me!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

V had a couple of good tracks, but the rest were really bad, imo.

This was the best one, which was also in the movie The Mummy Returns:

Below is another excerpt from Chad Taylor's blog where he documented their archives and gives insight to the era from which the material was created. This is about the V era:

V DEMO, 1999 (Los Angeles, CA) age, 28yrs.
    MEDIA FORMAT: PRO TOOLS, DAT

Second only to the Shadow Hill recordings, there are a ton of unreleased tracks from this mid-tour session. We documented nearly two albums worth of material in two short weeks. The goal was to prepare songs for the next studio session. MCA got a hold of the material and pushed us to call it an album but it took over two years to finally release side-A of the demos originally titled “Ecstatic Fanatic.” MCA’s delays totally changed the feel of the once spontaneous demo into an album that had to really count for Live. It was released September 18, only seven days after the world trade center terrorist attach that would change the world. An independently produced video for Overcome made the cut to play in the short rotation of only 5 songs on MTV for more than 3 days. Everything about the “album” was wrong. The label, which was having great success with No Doubt wanted to re-image the band and spent a ton of money on a photo shoot for the album cover only to add grainy graphics so that the band was undicernable. It was fucking nuts. Live fans really take the piss out of this album but it was NEVER intended to be an album. It was always a spontaneous outpouring of material Ed had been developing on the road. Patrick wasn’t even in town for half of it. From my point of view, some of Ed’s finest songwriting occurs on the songs that were never included on the album (this was because it was supposed to be a give-away for the fans). We even tried to rush a release of Overcome to record stores all across the country to benefit the victims of 9/11 but the label wouldn’t donate their portion of the funds to the proceeds (seriously).

It just occurred to me that I really detailed a ton of this stuff in the first draft of “The Search for Public Affection; the story of LIVE.” This section was written awhile back but does hit the nail on the head. I will include it hear as a “thank you” to the fans that really have come along for this ride:

Chapter 13 “The Turn”

It was about six years ago when I openly declared to my close friends and family that the new media age had revolutionized our industry over night. I predicted that music sales would cause a selloff of minor labels to majors and later majors to majors. This would be an outright war for market share and I feared my own band would be lost in the shuffle.

We were on tour for The Distance To Here and on a short break began to work on the songs that would later find themselves on V. Ed was on fire. We could barely keep up with the frantic pace with which he was turning out new ideas. Patrick was at home with his family celebrating the birth of his daughter and the process was disjointed from a “band” standpoint. We were recording at good friends house with the drums on the patio and guitar amps in the living room. We spent little to no time perfecting the parts as we were only trying to capture the creative energy of the moment. It was fun but outside of the typical rehearsal writing sessions of the past. I thought, this will be how records are made in the future, cheap, fast and full of “in the moment” creative spirit.

By the time Patrick made LA, we nearly had two albums worth of material recorded. It was creative and recording overload but we wanted to surprise our fans with an album in the middle of a touring cycle. Fresh material with a loose feel, something we had never done. We didn’t want to over think anything, just immediately release a batch of new songs. They were experimental in many ways, lacking the traditional band arrangements that our fans had come to love but as a two-week long session of demos it was perfect.

We submitted the material to MCA/Universal, as RadioActive no longer existed. There was great debate at the label over a single. We suggested not releasing one as we wanted it to be “for the fans”, impromptu, live esc. – In the moment. It took MCA/Universal over a year to release the album. The project went from being titled “Ecstatic Fanatic” with a quasi-orgy painting by Peter Howson to “V”. The label insisted that bands needed to be on “the cover” and hired an insanely expensive photographer to revolutionize the bands image. We laughed, as we know our image was the anti-image. The photographer had arranged a series of “huge” fires that would be burning in the background. They turned out to be little barrels with barely a flame shooting out; total “Spinal Tap”. Gracey nearly killed the stylist for messing with his clothing or hair. This had nothing to do with the Live that came from the street of York, PA. This was all about market share. The funny thing is the photo shoot went so poorly that they added charcoal graphics to the picture and totally distorted what they were going for in the first place.

In our defense, we begged MCA to release the album the way we wanted but they had no interest. To our luck director Rob Cohen was a LIVE fan and placed “Deep Enough” in the opening scene of “The Fast and Furious.” To our disbelief, MCA turned down an offer from the production company to shoot a video on set by Rob himself. They had a partnership with MTV that would guarantee heavy rotation out of the box. You can’t make this shit up. They passed on “Deep Enough” insisting that “Simple Creed” was better suited for radio. This is on an album where we didn’t even want a single! Our management was going fucking nuts as you can imagine. I knew it was a sure fire sign that the close nit family that worked so hard to build Live was no longer in the drivers seat. Corporate shareholders were now the new priority in the “music” business.

Another huge moment can only a few weeks later. The producers for the “Mummy Return’s” called and asked if we would be willing to provide a song for the closing credits of the film. Ed wrote with Glen Ballard and they turned out “Forever May Not Be Long Enough.” I knew it wasn’t a typical Live song but then again, nothing about this album was making much sense. Ballard had the audacity to sit there and tell Patrick Dahlheimer, one of the most explosive rock bass players of his era to play one single note throughout the entire song. I walked out of the room laughing. This was fucked. Thankfully, the track worked well in the film but this wasn’t what I signed up for. Once again, the label did not want to work the song as a single but our management was able to convince them to at least let us shoot a video.

Hindsight is 20/20 but these were the number 1 and 2 top grossing films of the year with featured placement and absolutely no love from the label. I was sick to my stomach.

The label finally decided by committee that “Simple Creed” would be the single and a video was ordered. I had lost 35 pounds working out everyday to “look great” in the new media model of tits and ass. Shirtless with only a vest on I took on my new role as an actor in someone’s bad play. This shit had nothing to do with the dream Chad, Patrick and I started in Gracey’s bedroom in York. It had nothing to do with Ed’s lyrics on “Lightning Crashes.” This was all about the looming downturn in corporate revenue MCA was facing. We were fucked and stuck in an unbreakable contract.

All of the delays added up and nearly a year and a half after we finished a few “off the wall” demo’s MCA set a release date, September 18, 2001. Seven days after the terror attacks of 9/11. Things had gone from bad to grim. The happy go lucky spirit of this music would never see the light of day. The world had changed before our eyes.

Mary Kowalczyk, Ed’s mother, called me right after the second plane hit. She wanted to know where Eddie was as he had been on the road to do press and promotion for the album. I assured her he was fine but hung up the phone and began to make frantic phone calls to management and Matt Gracey who was on the road with Ed. Thankfully, they were okay in Chicago.

To my surprise a friend called me to tell me to turn on VH1. Someone had set footage from ground zero to the music of “Overcome.” I stood and cried as it played. This was so much bigger than my band, our music or me. I knew Live would never be the same from that moment forward. A deep depression of sorts set in. The wave that surged throughout the 90’s had crested and now crashed on the flatlands of three toppled buildings and thousands of dead.

I began calling every radio station in the country requesting Overcome as a song offered by the band for healing. I called our management to tell the label to get a single release ready to sell in stores to benefit the victim’s families. To my dismay MCA refused to offer any funds or support despite the fact that nearly every radio format including country, R&B, top 40, jazz and blues stations were playing the song. I was so sad. Sad for those families. Sad for my own too. I wondered if anyone could understand the emotional toll 9/11 had taken on us as people. How could we perform? How would we get through?

Our management encouraged us to get back to doing what we did best, playing live shows. Our childhood hero’s Jane’s Addiction were mounting a comeback tour and we agreed to take the opening slot. Something we hadn’t done since Mental Jewelry. They gave us less than 10’ of the stage and only 6 par cans for lights. Big time, “rock star” bullshit. We played the first night with electric guitars blazing but the magic wasn’t there. We poured our hearts into the show but for the first time in my life, I didn’t want to be on stage. I didn’t want to play music. It just felt wrong.

(continued below)

(continued from above)

I told Ed that night that I was headed home. We had worked too hard and too long to be treated this way. It felt disrespectful to the music and our fans. I was almost gone when Ed grabbed me and said we are not going out like this, “I have a plan.”

The next day, we went to the Salvation Army store to purchase Dickie brand overhauls and old beat up couches like the ones that used to adorn the rehearsal room in York. There would be no electric guitars, no rock star apparel. We would be the worker bees we knew how to be from our childhood in York. Ed said the songs would do the work as he handed out a set list of hit singles ending with Overcome. The next show was at Madison Square Garden. It would be the very first show after the terror attacks. Nearly every fire station was in attendance. There were thousands of firemen and rescue workers who had survived but lost, friends, family and co-workers.

I lowered my head into the cold curve of my acoustic guitar. I would not be able to face the crowd tonight. Ed turned the microphone to the crowd during the first chorus of Lightning Crashes. The sing along was bone chilling. Everyone knew we were saying goodbye.

To this day, I don’t know how Ed sang Overcome. I stood by the side of the stage as a spectator and watched his chest heave with the weight of the moment. He was amazing and there was not a dry eye in the house. When the house lights went on the crowd began to file out until there were only a few thousand remaining from the sold-out show for the opening refrains of the Jane’s Addiction set. This would not be a night for strippers in go-go cages.

Live pushed on, touring for V. We tried hard to pick up the pieces but the early energy drain of September was too great. In New Zealand, I leaned over a balcony fifty stories high and asked myself if I should jump. How could I be “living out my dream” and so deeply depressed? When I withdrew and returned to the hotel room I began to write my story down, trying to figure out how I came to this place. I birthed the concept of “Barely Breathing” that night and haven’t given up on it to this day. It is a constant reminder that we can find the light at the end of the tunnel. We can reach new dreams and new heights despite our personal obstacles.

Somehow we lost ourselves in the V cycle and the years that followed. The childhood innocence’s and enthusiasm had been replaced with stagnate set lists and a lack of fresh ideas that a rock band could sink into. We worked hard on Birds Of Pray but again; a producer was pushing and pulling against the natural grain that had delivered so many great moments. By the time Black Mountain came around, I could care less. Jim Wirt, the producer was writing all of the guitar parts. I took it as a challenge to find a way to further give of myself but I never stayed in the studio for more than a few hours at a time. This wasn’t my music any longer; this wasn’t the band I envisioned. I knew it was time to walk away but had no idea how to do it.

Thanks for that. Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me.

This is right where I want Live to be in 2018. New song and video for "Love Lounge"