Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jethro Tull String Quartet album

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I love Ian's ventures into classical music. I am a big fan of his Divinities release and was pleasantly surprised to recently find a live performance of it.
    What's the live performance release called?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Judging by the released song and the video footage, there are no "string quartets." There are some Jethro Tull songs accompanied by a Very Small Orchestra.
    If you go to the end of the interview video, a full credits list appears. The Carducci (string) Quartet appears on every track.
    On most tracks, all except two, either Anderson or O'Hara also plays, and on two of them, both Anderson and O'Hara appear.

I want epic-scale (23 mins. plus), philharmonic rendition of "Song for Jeffrey" with lengthy middle section (over the mouthharp slide riff) donning painstakingly fast and enduring French horn solo.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the live performance release called?
    It's a bootleg titled "In A Stone Circle" (Berlin 1995).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I want epic-scale (23 mins. plus), philharmonic rendition of "Song for Jeffrey" with lengthy middle section (over the mouthharp slide riff) donning painstakingly fast and enduring French horn solo.
    Yes, but adding 23 portative pipe organs would be the cream on the nipply-nipplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, but adding 23 portative pipe organs would be the cream on the nipply-nipplies.

You guys crack me up. I'm just glad that Ian is still carrying the torch.

I suspect I may be not long for this world, because I sure am interested in all my childhood music heroes continuing to offer up more music. Its like I am seeing everyone I once held in high esteem getting their clocks punched.... Hoping for more great music and realizing its not going to continue forever. I hate seeing great musicians getting old... And I dont see Ian slowing down, and it makes me happy. Would I like to see the real Jethro Tull again? Yes, but I'll take anything Ian has come up with, because I know he will not disappoint.

Yes I have both of these and enjoyed them. They are 11 and 31 years old respectively hence the waiting for about a decade. My point is I'm happy to see a different spin on the Tull stuff instead of Ian dragging a band around the world pretending to be Tull when he clearly can't do the material justice in that context anymore. I'll be at the show if it comes to my area but won't see Ian in the rock band mode again.

Solstice Bells for your enjoyment

I'm not sure why he sings the vocal line, i would have liked it better without. Very nice otherwise.

^Love it!

Excellent. I don't mind the singing, although, I'm not sure why it's so faint.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Would have been really hip to have a small chamber choir sing on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Would have been really hip to have a small chamber choir sing on this stuff.
    Yeah, that would have been cool.

probably because Ian sometimes has the good sense not to put his current voice too forward in the mix.

Ember
    I loved the video. I would buy a Blu-ray of hi-rez surround mixes of this music, with the quartet mixed to the corners and Ian front and center, even if the videos were mimed.

As for the vocals, what little is audible of his voice sounds even more range-limited than ever. I hope it appears sparingly on the album, although it's still distinctive and identifiable enough to serve well as a reminder of whose music this is.

I must say I find it odd that the song features no bells.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I loved the video. I would buy a Blu-ray of hi-rez surround mixes of this music, with the quartet mixed to the corners and Ian front and center, even if the videos were mimed.

As for the vocals, what little is audible of his voice sounds even more range-limited than ever. I hope it appears sparingly on the album, although it's still distinctive and identifiable enough to serve well as a reminder of whose music this is.
    Less is more for sure. I'm hoping for a minimal amount of vox, and I know IA is wise enough to understand why.

i got duped into TAAB2 & Homo Erraticus ......... i'm done, no thanks.

Requiem will always be my Ian holy grail with string quartet. This tune is a pinnacle not only in music, but in life itself, including any arts or philosophies. Pretentious shit, yeah, but its fucking Ian!! LOVE the man.

I never look forward to this day, so any little treat always makes it a bit better. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Solstice Bells for your enjoyment

I stand corrected, the string accompaniment to this song is almost a real string quartet. I was wrong.

And they rock it!

Is there some reason though why old flute players all end up looking alike?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Is there some reason though why old flute players all end up looking alike?
    Do we?

Photo on 12-22-16 at 9.20 PM.jpg
    (Just finished laying down a flute track.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

What, no claghorn?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i got duped into TAAB2 & Homo Erraticus ......... i'm done, no thanks.
    Yeah, me too... But I'm not done. This release I think will play to Ian's strengths, which the last two did not IMHO. So I'm in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just in time for Christmas, a new prog superroup:

Ian Anderson
    Geddy Lee
    Fish

are

ALF

A high energy, a capella trio performing the music of Jethro Tull, Rush, Fish, and Marillion

Only vocals, front and center, full power!

Stay tuned for their first 2CD magnum opus: "Shredded Suite"