Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Gigs Of 2016

ARW
    The Strawbs (best show I've seen of them)
    David Gilmour
    Mike Kenelley Joining Fanfare for a Keith Emerson Tribute at Progtoberfest

Top Gigs Of 2016

Marillion, 930 Club DC: far and away the best show of the year for me. Amazing performance.

Yes, Warner Theater DC: bought tickets last minute on a whim with low expectations. They exceeded them, specifically the Drama part of the show.

Musical Box, Howard Theater, DC: the SEBTP black show.

And for good measure: Billy Joel at Nats Park. Always delivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Score2112; 12-12-2016 at 07:53 PM.

My year in concerts this year:

Umphry’s McGee / Tauk - Wings Stadium Kalamazoo MI: Another great Umphrey’s show and very impressed by opening act Tauk as well.

Cheap Trick – Strawberry Festival Plant City Florida: Believe it or not this was my first time seeing Cheap Trick although I have been a fan for years. Great show, they’ve still got it.

Tommy Castro & The Painkillers – State Theater, Kalamazoo MI: Tommy is always great and this was another good one.

Ian Anderson – Devos Hall, Grand Rapids MI: An interesting show with Anderson doing the Jethro Tull rock opera thing. Good, but not great.

Boston – Devos Hall, Grand Rapids MI: This one totally exceeded my expectations. They were great and could pull off the studio sound really well live.

Alice Cooper – Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo MI: Alice always delivers and this one was no exception. Great band, great show.

Glenn Hughes / Joanne Shaw Taylor – The Music Factory, Battle Creek MI: My first time seeing Hughes and he was fantastic. His voice is still amazing and his band was great. Taylor was a fantastic opening act as well.

ProgDay – Chapel Hill North Carolina: Great lineup this year IMO. I especially enjoyed seeing Discipline on the stage again. Bent Knee was great, and I was totally blown away by Eye. In the Presence Of Wolves also got my head a banging.

Ghost / Carpenter Brut – State Theater, Kalamazoo MI: I totally enjoyed this. Ghost were fantastic, and CB were good too. I will definitely go see Ghost any time they are in the area.

Progtoberfest – Reggie’s, Chicago IL: I was only there for 2 of the 3 days, but a fantastic festival with too many great bands to mention them all.

Dream Theater – Devos Hall, Grand Rapids MI: This was The Astonishing tour, so not a normal DT show. Doing a 2 hour album from start to finish took guts. I liked it for the most part.

Marillion – Hard Rock Live, Northfield Ohio: What can I say, Marillion is always outstanding and this was another killer show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    And for me, too. I've seen them several times, electric and acoustic, since 1974, and this year's performance at RosFest was, to me, their best ever.
    I've only seen them a couple of times, but they were in great form. We brought two people (our wives) who had little exposure and they loved it.

My 2016 top gigs - ranked somewhat in order:

1. Steven Wilson - 4 times in 2016 (NYC, Orlando, St. Pete., Ft. Lauderdale)

2. Phish 2 shows - Mann Music Center - Philadelphia

3. Magma - Underground Arts - Philadelphia

4. Discipline at Progday

5. Marillion - 3 shows (DC, Philadelphia, NYC)

6. Sigur Ros - Academy of Music -Philadelphia

7. Bruce Springsteen - 4 hour show at Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia

8. Dream Theater Presents The Astonishing 3 times (Upper Darby, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Durham, NC)

9. Steve Hackett 3 times in 2016 (Philadelphia, Collingswood, NJ; Durham)

10. Paul McCartney - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia

11. Bent Knee 3 times (Orion Studios, Kennett Square, PA; Progday)

12. Umphrey's McGee 3 shows (Raleigh, NC (twice); Philadelphia)

And the other shows I saw that I enjoyed, but not enough to rank:

Widespread Panic - Philadelphia
    The Who - Philadelphia
    Pugwash - Philadelphia
    The rest of Progday

-Rich
    Last edited by Richard; 12-13-2016 at 02:08 AM.