Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP John Glenn - "The Last True National Hero"

RIP John Glenn - "The Last True National Hero"

It was not unexpected but still this marks the end of an era. For all us who grew up watching the space race, he was a giant among men.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ead-95-n693391

Obligatory: suck it 2016
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The eons are closing
    A personal hero.
    Not sad, it was a life well lived.

RIP
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I recall my mother taking me to meet John Glenn in person, not long after his mission, and getting to the venue where he was appearing, then finding out that he was not going to make it because he had fallen in the shower and was injured. Its one of my very earliest memories. I had to be only 3 or 4 years old. I only thought "why doesnt he just get up and put a band aid on it and come anyway? - Heroes dont fall in bathtubs"

Apart from his accomplishments, I just thought he was a really cool guy.

R.I.P. John Glenn

America's first astronaut died today.

[Edit: sorry, should have checked Way Off Topic. My bad. ]

This guy had balls of steel. Our local aviation museum has one of the mercury capsules and I cannot imagine being strapped on top of a rocket and launching into space in that thing. After his astronaut career he had a pretty amazing run in government as well, then became the oldest person to ever fly in space on the shuttle. He did it all and made the most out of his life for sure.

Another hero lost. But he had a great run. RIP John.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

RIP. A real hero.

Here's a great quote from him: “As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind...every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.”
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Here's a great quote from him: “As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind...every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.”

“I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”
    ― John Glenn

(I bet this is the correct quote. I heard it a few years ago and laughed. Glenn was an awesome Earthling, not just a great astronaut.)

Yes, a life very well lived. He met his wife in preschool. She went out today to go grocery shopping as she knew a lot of people would visit.

A real hero RIP. A life well and truly lived though.

As a child of the 60's, the space race was a defining part of my early life. I have read widely on the subject and I adore the movie version of Tom Wolfe's vision of those pioneers, The Right Stuff. I think the representation of John Glenn in that film is probably quite accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another part of my formative life passes. Hold on tightly & enjoy to the fullest each & every moment of our lives. As the risk of sounding hackney, "God speed, John Glenn."
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    “I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”
    ― John Glenn

(I bet this is the correct quote. I heard it a few years ago and laughed. Glenn was an awesome Earthling, not just a great astronaut.)
    I'll yield to you on that. I got it second-hand.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Another true icon: this time the symbol of the USA at it's peak. He was the living fulfillment of outrageous aspiration.

R.I.P.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Second actually.

Although he was the first to orbit.

Alan Shepard was the first launched although he did not orbit.

DtB

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    RIP-a true inspiration!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This guy had balls of steel. Our local aviation museum has one of the mercury capsules and I cannot imagine being strapped on top of a rocket and launching into space in that thing.
    This always amazed me. I realize that, at the time, this was state-of-the-art, cutting-edge technology, but to be the first to try this incredibly insane feat.....I just can't imagine the stones that guy must have had.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Exactly!! I would have soiled myself before I left the ground (assuming you were able to get me in that thing, to begin with).

A very impressive life. We should all be so accomplished.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

My brother David, who was born 3 days after the historic February 20 1962 flight, was 'almost' named "John Glenn ...'
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He's no Major Matt Mason, but still a great adventurer.

Wish I had some Tang and Space Food Sticks to toast him...

My Dad was part of the space program, like 400,000 other people in the country who worked on getting the US into space. So I was very interested in the program like my boys my age at the time. And John Glenn was the top of the pyramid. Decorated Marine pilot. Speed records. First Amercan in orbit. Long time Senator. Oldest person in space. A life well lived. Godspeed John Glenn.

For the baseball fans here, Ted Williams was his wingman in Korea. When Teddy Baseball got his plane all shot up and on fire, Glenn pointed upward and they flew higher. To a non pilot seems counter intuitive, but going up in the thinning air put the fire out. Williams then had a choice to eject or belly land, and thinking he was too big to eject without injuring his legs, he opted for the latter. After executing the belly landing and running very quickly from the plane, Yankee Jerry Coleman (look up his very impressive military record) said to Williams he never saw him run the bases so fast. Williams shot back that the light hitting infielder was never on base to know what running fast was all about.

^ Great story.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

There were 2 threads.

They have been merged.
    Regards,

Duncan

That guy did it all!!!

Even his name, John Glenn, speaks "American Hero" volumes -- kinda like John Wayne