Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Modry Efekt - Modry Efekt & Radim Hladik

FEATURED CD: Modry Efekt - Modry Efekt & Radim Hladik

Today's feature is in honor of Radim Hladík. This has always been my personal favorite from the catalog.

Review from ProgArchives:
    5 stars Modrý Efekt is one of those bands mailing from behind the Curtain of Iron in the 60s and 70s that happen to be highly praised among progressive and jazz-rock circles. And quite deservedly so. If Fermata was the Slovakian king of progressive rock, Módry Efekt assumed a parallel superior role in the Czech side of the former Czechoslovakia. "Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladik" is the name of ME's fifth studio effort, and that's a weird name for an album recorded by a band whose lead guitarist, founder and main writer is precisely Mr. Hladik. Anyway, mysteries aside, let's go for the review of the album itself. 'Boty' is the opening cut that initially states a brief synth-based whirlwind before the main motif settles in with its full power. The emergence of this sort of strength in no way diminishes the installment of a clearly defined melodic dynamics through the guitar leads and the effective keyboard layers.

The mood and motif shifts are managed craftily, in full progressive fashion; the flute solo during the spacey interlude is just lovely, establishing a proper contrast against the frantic guitar-dominated passages. Sometimes things get as wild as in your regular LZ or DP album, no kidding! Hladik is a masterful elaborator of the influences he receives from Akkerman, Page and Hendrix at once. There is also a cosmic organ solo wildly oriented toward the higher pitches. After this red hot opening number comes a very different one, the melancholic 'Čajovna', whose framework may remind us of Focus-meets- Finch. 'Skládanka' finds the band turning back to the frenzy side of things, with its powerful mixture of jazz-rock and heavy prog. Once again, the guest flautist shines with his sensibility, although Hladik is the one who naturally gets his instrument more featured, at the end of the day. 'Ztráty a nálezy' starts with a focus on the acoustic guitar, which is soon accompanied by multiple electric guitar ornaments on a very psychedelic note.

The main body arrives with the installment of a slow-paced atmosphere, not without its proper dose of energy. The album's official repertoire is closed down by 'Hypertenze': its Mahavishnu-friendly funky birations mingle quite fluidly with the explicitely hard rocking passages. Arguably, here is the most proficient bass work, and perhaps there are also the most accomplished spacey sounds from the synth. The final section is a glorious progressive litany with a notorious charge of neurosis: the explosive sax solo is essential for this sort of mood. There are 2 bonuses in this CD edition: 'Armageddon' is an interesting psych-rock song that might bear some family airs with Trettioariga Kriget, and 'Clara' is an attractive exercise on hard rock with beat nuances. All in all, none of these tracks equals the fantastic majesty of the official tracklist - those 5 tracks alone suffice to label this CD as a genuine prog masterpiece, at least to my ears. -Cesar Inca

https://youtu.be/4s5oaxF6r3E

https://youtu.be/bNm-ws2TViA
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The best from Radim and the whole Efekt thing.

RIP once more.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Damn perfect album! Hladik was one of the most accomplished guitarists as far as feeling and expression is concerned. On par with Andy Latimer to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I must have missed the memo on these guys. I was sampling some of their stuff yesterday after hearing their guitarist had passed away. Holy crap, some fantastic stuff. This album in particular, which I sampled about half of before shutting it off with a commitment to buy it. Actually I think I'm going to bite for the box set, which has all their good stuff, plus some earlier stuff that I had probably sampled but had mistakenly put me off of the band, at a pretty reasonable price.

Bill

Wonderful album.

and it has a story for me personally:

A very, very long time ago in a world that many people probably can not imagine, when I was in High School in 1973-74 or so, I had a pen-pal from BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN in Czechoslovakia and we used to swap records here and there. That was the only way I could hear music from a country that was so far away and so far off the grid. One of the records he sent me was this one and I immediately appreciated the fine guitaring here.

But it also still has great personal ressonance for the difficulty and trouble it took to be able to hear something like this back then.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Monster record!

Still I think Svitanie, Svet Hledacu and 33 are just as good as this. Hladik's playing is sheer bliss throughout all of these. Their music was forceful yet intensely sensitive, highly emotional but never pompous or sentimental at that, and both intricate and hypnotic in groove and dynamic. And they proved that idiosyncracy and originality was never in the way of appeal or recognition.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great music! Svitanie is the one I return to the most.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I haven't played this in a long time, but I remember it being great!
    need to hear it now
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I must have missed the memo on these guys. I was sampling some of their stuff yesterday after hearing their guitarist had passed away. Holy crap, some fantastic stuff. This album in particular, which I sampled about half of before shutting it off with a commitment to buy it. Actually I think I'm going to bite for the box set, which has all their good stuff, plus some earlier stuff that I had probably sampled but had mistakenly put me off of the band, at a pretty reasonable price.

Bill
    I highly recommend the 9 CD box set. So many great albums from this fine band. I have to agree that the Featured CD is my fave to date, but many others are very close (Svitanie coming in a close second). One that few talk about is Nova Synteza, which I consider one of the best "big band" rock records ever made. The Czechoslovak Radio Jazz Orchestra could rock!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The YouTube clips are really nice. Very distinctive guitar playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Wonderful album.

and it has a story for me personally:

A very, very long time ago in a world that many people probably can not imagine, when I was in High School in 1973-74 or so, I had a pen-pal from BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN in Czechoslovakia and we used to swap records here and there. That was the only way I could hear music from a country that was so far away and so far off the grid. One of the records he sent me was this one and I immediately appreciated the fine guitaring here.

But it also still has great personal ressonance for the difficulty and trouble it took to be able to hear something like this back then.
    Very cool, Steve. I can see how that would make quite an impression too.

Had their box set on my wish list for a while now but never pulled the trigger on it. I'm going to check out some of their stuff.

My favourite is the one they did with Jazz Q called Coniunctio, it's fairly experimental but it's the one I've spun the most.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Haven't spun this in years , thanks for featuring it!

Reminds me of Jan Akkerman ( Focus) and Joop van Nimwegen , guitarist from the Dutch band Finch.

I like it , but it won't need a re-spin for awhile.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Reminds me of Jan Akkerman and Joop van Nimwegen
    VERY good comparisons, IMHO - although Hladik was arguably more sensitive than Nimw and less (intendedly), uhm, sloppy than the great Akker. Interestingly, all three of them had certain parallels in schooling; classical guitar studies at acclaimed institutions (Hladik at the Prague Conservatory) which apparently included the lute, succumbing to the blues and r&b in the early 60s and going the way of the Becks and Claptons and Hendrixes - rather than the "axe professor" approach.

I agree about the validity of the M. Éfekt Box set; it really displays their immense stylistic versatility and dedication to development, and while there are records I enjoy more, those formal experiments (with Jazz Q and the brass ensemble for the Nova Synteza Projects) are all very well worth hearing. Still, Modry Éfekt & Radim Hladik was perhaps their shining hour because it so perfectly captured the direct live spirit of their instrumental gusto. There are some obvious overdubs, yet this is one of those listening experiences where you really get to sense the success of the performers' will. It's truly a marvellous showcase of Hladik's talents.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Although I love jazz-rock / fusion genre very much, Blue Effect's kind of jr/f is not my cup of tea; though, it's not possible to overlook an amazing talent of Radim Hladík (RIP)
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-08-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Monster record!

Still I think Svitanie, Svet Hledacu and 33 are just as good as this. Hladik's playing is sheer bliss throughout all of these. Their music was forceful yet intensely sensitive, highly emotional but never pompous or sentimental at that, and both intricate and hypnotic in groove and dynamic. And they proved that idiosyncracy and originality was never in the way of appeal or recognition.
    +1!!.

Also:

"VERY good comparisons, IMHO - although Hladik was arguably more sensitive than Nimw and less (intendedly), uhm, sloppy than the great Akker. Interestingly, all three of them had certain parallels in schooling; classical guitar studies at acclaimed institutions (Hladik at the Prague Conservatory) which apparently included the lute, succumbing to the blues and r&b in the early 60s and going the way of the Becks and Claptons and Hendrixes - rather than the "axe professor" approach.

I agree about the validity of the M. Éfekt Box set; it really displays their immense stylistic versatility and dedication to development, and while there are records I enjoy more, those formal experiments (with Jazz Q and the brass ensemble for the Nova Synteza Projects) are all very well worth hearing. Still, Modry Éfekt & Radim Hladik was perhaps their shining hour because it so perfectly captured the direct live spirit of their instrumental gusto. There are some obvious overdubs, yet this is one of those listening experiences where you really get to sense the success of the performers' will. It's truly a marvellous showcase of Hladik's talents. "

Yes, yes and yes ... have to agree!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Very good album, love it. But i have to admit I listen to following three ones more often.

a little Quiz: Who gets the Modry Effect connection to this one:

The horn section sounds like JOCR playing from Blue Effect from Nova Synteza 2 album?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    The horn section sounds like JOCR playing from Blue Effect from Nova Synteza 2 album?
    Actually the whole song is based on the first 30 seconds of Nova Synteza (1)!

^ That's what I've always admired about today's adolescent artistry; you don't need or relate to the given "format" - just cut the seconds out that you like and, er, "do" something with it. Which is, more than often, nothing.

Who needs a whole album, let alone a whole song - when you can loop the bridge or chorus and add a stoopid vox?

^ That's what I've always admired about today's adolescent artistry; you don't need or relate to the given "format" - just cut the seconds out that you like and, er, "do" something with it. Which is, more than often, nothing.

Who needs a whole album, let alone a whole song - when you can loop the bridge or chorus and add a stoopid vox?

Sad but true.

I once had a solo LP of Hladik, called 'Benefit'( 1976) Great guitar album! I still remember some tunes...I agree about associations with Finch and Focus, regarding the style - and maybe Soft Machine circa Bundles.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I once had a solo LP of Hladik, called 'Benefit'( 1976) Great guitar album!
    It's the very same album as the one in question here. Although the Amiga (GDR) and Melodiya (USSR) versions sported a different cover and were credited to Hladik solo, which in fact they weren't.

BTW, the track "Boty" is actually just an instrumental of an otherwise vocal song (featured on the Nova Synteza 2 record), for the occasion donning more guitar overdubs instead of vox and losing the brass. Apparently the backing track is identical.

More M. Éfekt goodies in the separate Hladik R.I.P. thread ('Other Topics').

It's the very same album as the one in question here. Although the Amiga (GDR) and Melodiya (USSR) versions sported a different cover and were credited to Hladik solo, which in fact they weren't.

BTW, the track "Boty" is actually just an instrumental of an otherwise vocal song (featured on the Nova Synteza 2 record), for the occasion donning more guitar overdubs instead of vox and losing the brass. Apparently the backing track is identical.

More M. Éfekt goodies in the separate Hladik R.I.P. thread ('Other Topics').
    I have never seen or know that Melodya released Hladik. I lived next building to Melodya main store, and visited the shop quite often. The album I mentioned was called Radomir Hladik 'Benefit', all instrumental, with 5 tracks. The first one was called Tennis Shoes, the third Tea-Room, and the last one Hypertension( hope memory serves well) Would go to Hladik RIP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I have never seen or know that Melodya released Hladik. I lived next building to Melodya main store, and visited the shop quite often. The album I mentioned was called Radomir Hladik 'Benefit', all instrumental, with 5 tracks. The first one was called Tennis Shoes, the third Tea-Room, and the last one Hypertension.
    I might be wrong about the Melodya, but Modry Éfekt & Radim Hladik is the very same album as Benefit - with the same five instrumental songs in a somewhat different order (but still with "Hypertension" as the closing piece). "Tearoom" - or "Cajovna" - remained Hladik's signature piece, btw - covered by many Czech artists and featured in several movies.