Thread: Jean Luc Ponty Tour '17

Jean Luc Ponty Tour '17

From Jamie Glaser:

I'm super happy to announce that there will be a US reunion tour with the Jean luc Ponty band starting June 1st/ 17. Our first date is in Seattle. I will have dates for you in the next 3 weeks .This is very exciting. One of the other dates will be at Chene Park which fans know we did a live album there. This is gonna be very sweet.

Reunion tour, huh, I wonder who else is on board, is JLP bringing back Baron Browne, Chris Rhyne or Rayford Griffin?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Reunion tour, huh, I wonder who else is on board, is JLP bringing back Baron Browne, Chris Rhyne or Rayford Griffin?
    Glaser seemed to indicate a few months ago that it was the same APB lineup that recently toured, sans Anderson, so it would be Glaser, Griffin, Jones & Minko if that was the case.

Cool!
    I'd love to see some of the guys from the really old days!

Ponty's site mentions his current live work with a band consisting of William Lecompte (k), Guy N'Sangue (b) and Damien Schmitt (dr)

Also, allow me to plug the D-Stringz album (I hate that title) that Ponty did in the past year or two with the acoustic trio of JLP, Stanley Clarke and Bireli Lagrene. I stumbled across it in a record store never having heard anything about it before or since.

trailer...

Tickets will be purchased!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chene Park = Detroit, MI. I will be there. Detroit has some fierce love for JLP -- he can do no wrong here; people just worship him.

Good to see him playing a large venue

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Ponty's site mentions his current live work with a band consisting of William Lecompte (k), Guy N'Sangue (b) and Damien Schmitt (dr)

Also, allow me to plug the D-Stringz album (I hate that title) that Ponty did in the past year or two with the acoustic trio of JLP, Stanley Clarke and Bireli Lagrene. I stumbled across it in a record store never having heard anything about it before or since
    Thanks very much for alerting me to this; I'd missed it entirely. I bought it immediately. It's very different musically from "Rite of Strings" (an album that's in my permanent rotation), despite its superficial similarity in instrumentation, but it's a delight nevertheless.

(As an aside, this was one of those frequent examples on Amazon US where it's cheaper to order the physical CD than the album on MP3 -- and with "AutoRip" you also get the MP3 album immediately anyway.)

^You would have thought a release on Impulse! would have gotten more visibility.

(although it's possible I just wasn't paying close enough attention) https://www.allaboutjazz.com/d-strin...ames-nadal.php

And whatever happened to the live Trio release that Clarke mentioned they'd be doing, back when I saw them at Symphony Hall?

And pray tell, how does D-Stringz differ from Rite of Strings?

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    And pray tell, how does D-Stringz differ from Rite of Strings?
    Based on one listen: It's considerably more trad-jazz, although there's an occasional hint of funkiness. It's more straight-ahead acoustic sounding without DiMeola's gadgets. There are more covers. I think I heard some nylon-string guitar. Ponty and Clarke are 20 years older.

Glaser seemed to indicate a few months ago that it was the same APB lineup that recently toured, sans Anderson, so it would be Glaser, Griffin, Jones & Minko if that was the case.
    Today Glaser said that the tour is confirmed & dates will be announced soon.
    Baron Brown will be the bass player.

Today Glaser said that the tour is confirmed & dates will be announced soon.
    Baron Brown will be the bass player.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Spring-Tour-17