Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly From Here is to be re-released with Horn on vocals next year?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I wish they'd rerecord H&E with energy and passion.
    I don't think there's any way to save it. Better to move on and build on some better bones.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

From PROG MAGAZINE On-Line....

Current rumours abound on the Internet suggest that Yes may be preparing to release a new version of Fly From Here featuring Trevor Horn on vocals.

Horn of course produced the 2011 album, that featured then Yes singer Benoit David. David left Yes in February 2012 after suffering respiratory issues, replaced by current Yes frontman Jon Davison. Horn, who along with Geoff Downes won the Outer Limits award at this year's Prog Awards for their work with Buggles, has appeared live with Yes three times this year, and of course was the singer for Yes when they recorded and toured the Drama album in 1980.

The current rumours come from a current Yes podcast conducted by writer and Yes confidante Jon Kirkman in which he refers to a May 2016 interview with Horn in which the musician and producer talked about his work with the band. According to the Where Are They Now- Former Yes Members website, Kirkman is reported as stating that Horn told him "the last recording he worked on with them was Fly From Here [...] Trevor has re-recorded all the lead vocals for that album and I asked him if it's coming out and he said yeah probably next year, so that... that would make it the second album from the Drama line-up." Kirkman then adds that Benoit's vocals are also on the album and that Horn "thought it was a nice thing to do."

The same website also reports that in a June 2016 interview with the North American journalist Mitch Lafon, Yes guitarist Steve Howe, when discussing working with Horn, stated "We have something up our sleeves which are going to surprise some people." At a show in October 2016 Howe is reported to have referred to a forthcoming project involving Fly From Here, but did not add any details. As we reported back in issue 69, Buggles are working together again and that Howe night possibly be involved in that work, be it studio or live.

As a fan of Fly from Here, I'm on-board with anything involving Horn, Downes & Howe.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They should rerecord it with Jon Davison.
    Like Benoits voice way better---but I'd get the Horn version

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Of all the "archival" releases the Yes camp could put forth, this is what they're spending their time on? Steve Howe has drool-worthy tapes mouldering in his closet year after year, and it's a partial remake of Fly From Here that gets studio time? It's true that we "don't have to buy it," but geez.
    What we've heard so far suggests that only Horn has spent any time on this. That's the point: this seems to be driven by Horn and to be part of his desire to explore that period of music, as with The Buggles project (that this may be part of) that is re-recording songs like "Dion" and "Vermillion Sands", and in live work with his band. The current Yes members are happy with him doing all this, but it doesn't yet seem to be something that's taking up much of their time (Downes excluded who is involved with the Buggles re-recordings, being the other Buggle). Yes's plans for other Yes stuff continue apace: we've just had the Tales re-release, they are working towards a new studio album, there are other archival projects in the pipeline.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    If Horn is driving this it sounds a bit like a "Adventures in Modern Recording - Pt II" type of thing. I can't imagine he'd re-do the entire album. But if it's the entire FFH suite plus a half album of new Trevor Horn music that might be worth looking at.
    I wish he would put up the version that is on Adventures in Modern Recording II, maybe add a finished version of the demo of "Fly From Here part III" that is supposed to exist and take off the stupid "Bumpy Ride". The "Intro" and "Finale" could be left off this 15 minute version as well or shortened. Then add the extra Trevor Horn music.

I bet the new album will be something like Fly From Here Revisited and will have the songs as discussed at YesFans where Henry posted. Maybe get the Japanese version of "Hour of Need" on , etc.

Me and Trevor are close friends, but he hasn't said a word to me about this - the bastard. But I know Trev, and he will want this to be on a full album somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    From PROG MAGAZINE On-Line....

Current rumours abound on the Internet suggest that Yes may be preparing to release a new version of Fly From Here featuring Trevor Horn on vocals.

Horn of course produced the 2011 album, that featured then Yes singer Benoit David. David left Yes in February 2012 after suffering respiratory issues, replaced by current Yes frontman Jon Davison. Horn, who along with Geoff Downes won the Outer Limits award at this year's Prog Awards for their work with Buggles, has appeared live with Yes three times this year, and of course was the singer for Yes when they recorded and toured the Drama album in 1980.

The current rumours come from a current Yes podcast conducted by writer and Yes confidante Jon Kirkman in which he refers to a May 2016 interview with Horn in which the musician and producer talked about his work with the band. According to the Where Are They Now- Former Yes Members website, Kirkman is reported as stating that Horn told him "the last recording he worked on with them was Fly From Here [...] Trevor has re-recorded all the lead vocals for that album and I asked him if it's coming out and he said yeah probably next year, so that... that would make it the second album from the Drama line-up." Kirkman then adds that Benoit's vocals are also on the album and that Horn "thought it was a nice thing to do."

The same website also reports that in a June 2016 interview with the North American journalist Mitch Lafon, Yes guitarist Steve Howe, when discussing working with Horn, stated "We have something up our sleeves which are going to surprise some people." At a show in October 2016 Howe is reported to have referred to a forthcoming project involving Fly From Here, but did not add any details. As we reported back in issue 69, Buggles are working together again and that Howe night possibly be involved in that work, be it studio or live.
    That is, more or less, just a cut'n'paste of my website. I mean, I'm flattered, but you can just read the original at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm#hornsleeve

Henry

Oh, Henry was typing as I was. What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That is, more or less, just a cut'n'paste of my website. I mean, I'm flattered, but you can just read the original at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm#hornsleeve

Henry
    At least they kinda/sorta give you credit.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    At least they kinda/sorta give you credit.
    They do, yes. Which is nice of them. I don't mind being quoted. I just don't want people thinking that just because it's on Prog's website, it's somehow now definitive. It's still just me and some stuff I typed, and, while striving for definitiveness, it's just me piecing together things I've read, here largely based on what someone said in an interview about what someone else had said to them 7 months earlier. Take all this with a bucket load of salt.

I mean, obviously, if you want someone to piece together these snippets of information about Yes, I'm going to do it better than anyone else(!), but I am aware that we're building a complex edifice of speculation on limited foundations.

Henry

^ And credit should go to Jon Kirkman: it was his scoop. And to Kevin Mulryne who runs the great Yes Music Podcast. Follow the links to his site to hear the full interview. It's about a third of the way through.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    And Robert Pollard is a Yes fan!!! (I caught him buying Yessongs once at a used record store.)
    he was at the 1991 Union show at Nutter. That was my first Yesshow.

I've also sang Heart of the Sunrise with him a couple times. surreal moments for sure!

I'm excited for this FFH redux. The Drama band in full.

I'm definitely looking forward to this in whatever for it comes out. It would be cool if we got a studio version of "Go Through This" out of this as well.

Anyone find this a slap in Benoit's face?

I would buy this. I like Horn's singing, and I feel that Benoit was basically aping that anyway. I have no issue whatsoever with "Drama II"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Uh, yeah. Absolutely. I'm surprised no one else has made mention of this so far.

I felt bad for the guy already, but if this comes to fruition...

Not unless they delete the original version of the recording from the catalogue or something.

Yeah, I had the same thought.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe they can redo Drama with Benoit.

I don't think that's the only possible interpretation. Musicians often re-visit works. Was it a slap in Bruford's face when Yes re-recorded "South Side of the Sky" on The Ultimate Yes, or a slap in Rabin's face when the Andeson Ponty Band put out their version of "Owner of a Lonely Heart"?

David's retired from singing. He'll probably just enjoy the royalties!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe they can redo Drama with Benoit.
    They've sort of redone it with Davison on the recent full album tours...

Completely...that was my first thought. I didn't think he was sounding great live (although I'm sympathetic, it's not easy trying to match what someone else has done) but he was fine on this album.

I don't think that's the only possible interpretation. Musicians often re-visit works. Was it a slap in Bruford's face when Yes re-recorded "South Side of the Sky" on The Ultimate Yes, or a slap in Rabin's face when the Andeson Ponty Band put out their version of "Owner of a Lonely Heart"?

Henry
    But those were total re-recordings. The impression I'm getting here is that it's only the vocals getting re-done...that's got to hurt.

David's retired from singing. He'll probably just enjoy the royalties!
    Exactly. As long has he still gets his little nut I'm sure he's probably OK with it. It's Trevor f-ing Horn, after all. Hey, Benoit was probably thrilled to be music directed note-for-note by TH on the original recording anyways.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

None of those erased and replaced a recorded part, though. It was a definite slap in the face when Ozzy replaced the rhythm section on Blizzard of Ozz, and when Zappa did the same on We're Only In It for the Money..

To scrub the vocals from a studio album and re-release it is a bit different from various lineups covering tunes live from their past. Different ball of wax.

I personally don't care, I've got no dog in this race....