Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cartoons, comics & prog

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That looks a lot like what would be a later rendition of The Watcher from Marvel Comics. He was pretty involved in The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer comics, and first made an appearance in the mid-60s. Nothing to do with Genesis then, in fact when I first heard the song "Watcher Of The Skies" in the mid-70s, I wondered if the Marvel character was the inspiration for the song. (It wasn't.)
    Can you tell me more about the inspiration for the Genesis song? I ran across the picture and you are right
    it is a Marvel comics character. I thought perhaps it stuck in the mind of Peter or one of the other band members. It seems like more than a coincidence what with the collar and the word "Watcher".
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    Can you tell me more about the inspiration for the Genesis song? I ran across the picture and you are right
    it is a Marvel comics character. I thought perhaps it stuck in the mind of Peter or one of the other band members. It seems like more than a coincidence what with the collar and the word "Watcher".
    Tony and Mike collaborated on the lyrics. They were in Naples, on their first Italian tour, sitting on the top of a building, and looking out over a large area of buildings and fields that were completely deserted. It looked as if the population had just disappeared. That's what WotS is about, an alien landing on Earth and finding a deserted civilization. Tony remarked that they got into reading Sci-Fi like Childhood's End for a period of time shortly after that.

Source: I Know What I Like by Armando Gallo.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Tony and Mike collaborated on the lyrics. They were in Naples, on their first Italian tour, sitting on the top of a building, and looking out over a large area of buildings and fields that were completely deserted. It looked as if the population had just disappeared. That's what WotS is about, an alien landing on Earth and finding a deserted civilization. Tony remarked that they got into reading Sci-Fi like Childhood's End for a period of time shortly after that.

Source: I Know What I Like by Armando Gallo.
    Watcher borrows so heavily from Childhood's End that I think Tony's chronology is suspect.

The title phrase itself is from Keats:

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
    When a new planet swims into his ken

("On First Looking into Chapman's Homer")

Banned

As a big fan of Childhood's End, I just don't see it in "Watcher of the Skies."

What I do see, and am amazed that I have to keep pointing it out - it just seems to go over people's heads - is that it's at least partially inspired by John Keats's poem "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer," which contains the lines:

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
    When a new planet swims into his ken
    -- which actually describes an astronomer, but what the hey.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

What I do see, and am amazed that I have to keep pointing it out - it just seems to go over people's heads - is that it's at least partially inspired by John Keats's poem "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer," which contains the lines:

In Childhood's End a new stage of evolution has begun with the birth of children who never age; their bodies are simply containers for a collective hive-mind that will eventually join a galactic Overmind. Mankind as we know it is at an end. The 'children' are observed in some of inexplicable game-play.

Creatures shaped this planet's soil,
    Now their reign has come to an end,
    Has life again destroyed life,
    Do they play elsewhere, do they know
    More than their childhood games?
    Maybe the lizard's shed its tail,
    This is the end of man's long union with Earth.

Then there is a direct lift from the book, where the aliens who watch over the rise of the new intelligence tell the remnants of the old that the stars are not for them. The irony for the aliens is that although they have discovered interstellar travel, they are fated never to evolve to be part of the Overmind.

Sadly now your thoughts turn to the stars
    Where we have gone you know you never can go.
    Watcher of the skies watcher of all
    This is your fate alone, this fate is your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Well, Gabriel ripped off Wordsworth (??) with "I wandered lonely as a cloud," but that hardly qualifies as influencing what the song is about.

Well, Gabriel ripped off Wordsworth (??) with "I wandered lonely as a cloud,"
    Long before I ever read the original "Daffodils," I knew the Mad magazine version:

I wandered lonely as a clod,
    Just picking up old rags and bottles,
    When onward on my way I plod,
    I saw a host of axolotls;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    A sight to make a man’s blood freeze.

Some had handles, some were plain;
    They came in blue, red, pink, and green.
    A few were orange in the main;
    The damnedest sight I’ve ever seen.
    The females gave a sprightly glance;
    The male ones all wore knee-length pants.

Now oft, when on the couch I lie,
    The doctor asks me what I see.
    They flash upon my inward eye
    And make me laugh in fiendish glee.
    I find my solace then in bottles,
    And I forget them axolotls.

Comic lovers- just launched a new youtube channel with a buddy of mine, called 'Comic Book Geezers'. If you are a fan of '60s & '70s Marvel & DC comics, check us out and subscribe. We'll be looking at and talking about lots of vintage stuff, visiting comic shops, flea markets, and conventions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV0rXUDWbSE&t=135s

The eons are closing
    Sweet!
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

This is actually the first time I ever saw Dave Gibbons -not Watchmen, not 2000 AD...
    http://ellectorimpaciente.blogspot.c...emasiados.html

It's my understanding that the dude who publishes Progsheet has worked in the comic book biz since 1983 on titles like Amazing Spider-Man, Elvira, and Archie.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Actually, normal people would call all of it "weird shit", not "prog". Trust me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, normal people would call all of it "weird shit", not "prog". Trust me on this one.
    I don't think so. Probably a large part of it, but not all of it. Yes, Genesis, Rush, Focus, Earth & Fire, Pink Floyd and several others can regulary be heard on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't think so. Probably a large part of it, but not all of it. Yes, Genesis, Rush, Focus, Earth & Fire, Pink Floyd and several others can regulary be heard on the radio.
    The Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis stuff that gets the most airplay Stateside isn't the "weird shit". Trust me, anyone who listens to Gabriel era Genesis, Relayer or any pre Dark Side Of The Moon Pink Floyd record is considered a weirdo on these shores.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis stuff that gets the most airplay Stateside isn't the "weird shit". Trust me, anyone who listens to Gabriel era Genesis, Relayer or any pre Dark Side Of The Moon Pink Floyd record is considered a weirdo on these shores.
    I hear enough of the earlier stuff by Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and Jethro Tull on Dutch radio.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    It's my understanding that the dude who publishes Progsheet has worked in the comic book biz since 1983 on titles like Amazing Spider-Man, Elvira, and Archie.
    I only know of his work in Marvel Comics Presents...but you are correct
    [emoji3]
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Comic lovers- just launched a new youtube channel with a buddy of mine, called 'Comic Book Geezers'. If you are a fan of '60s & '70s Marvel & DC comics, check us out and subscribe. We'll be looking at and talking about lots of vintage stuff, visiting comic shops, flea markets, and conventions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV0rXUDWbSE&t=135s
    I subscribed. I think I'm several years ahead of you in geezerdom. Kinda funny. I started taking an interest in comics several years ago, but entirely from a nostalgic perspective. I've been buying off ebay, but only at a price that I'm willing to pay, which generally is way under book value. Having said that, I don't buy stuff that is below VF-. I don't consider myself a collector, and I have zero interest in characters I liked outside of my time frame, but I do have an interest, and have bought many titles which would have been in the time frame I first collected. Some I remember. I suppose all put together, they do have some value now.

I'm sort of a cartoonist, and I found this a while back. I drew it in 2005 or thenabouts after Spock's Beard's Octane came out. It's still a fun picture and I figured this would be a place to share it.

as-long-as-we-ride.jpg
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)