Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Albums Sold With Separate Discs? (i.e. Marillion - Happiness)

Double Albums Sold With Separate Discs? (i.e. Marillion - Happiness)

Maybe some folks around here can help me out.

the new Klimt 1918 album "Sentimentale Jugend" has been created on rateyourmusic.com into 2 separate releases, because it is being sold that way along with together. I.e.

1 release titled "Sentimentale"
    1 release titled "Jugend"
    1 release titled "Sentimentale Jugend."

The geniuses on rateyourmusic have decided to classify the 1 titled "Sentimentale Jugend" as a *compilation* while the 2 individual titles are just considered 2 normal albums.

I know Marillion's album "Happiness is the Road" was released in a similar fashion, with the "Essence" and "The Hard Shoulder" discs being sold separately and also together as 1. And on rateyourmusic, the primary listing for Happiness is the Road is with both discs as a Double Album.

Does anyone around here know of PHYSICAL COPIES (not digital, but cd, vinyl, or even cassette tape) that are in-effect Double Albums, that have been sold as 1 release and 2. Very likely with separate titles like the above examples of Marillion and Klimt 1918.

Because I'd go for looking those up on rateyourmusic just to see if they are classified as compilations or not, and it would just further support my feeling that the way that this Klimt 1918 album is setup there isn't consistent (or accurate in my mind).
    Last edited by mnprogger; 12-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.

This goes way back:

1967: Donovan released the double LP A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, simultaneously issued as two separate LPs, Wear Your Love Like Heaven and For Little Ones.

1968: The Incredible String Band released the double LP Wee Tam and the Big Huge in the UK; Wee Tam and The Big Huge were released as two separate LPs in America.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

ahh, yes!

thank you!

Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage. Started out as two separate releases over six discs, only sold now as a 2-cd set.

The King Crimson box sets Epitaph and The Great Deceiver were both released as two separate 2-cd sets.

rateyourmusic is only slightly less braindead than Discogs.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage. Started out as two separate releases over six discs,
    Three discs, six sides.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Marillion's Marbles also had a 1-disk version. What about that Guns n Roses piece of crap?

Simple Minds released Sister Feelings Call and Sons And Fascination as two separate vinyl albums, but they were sold together as one shrink wrapped set. They were later "compiled" onto a single disc CD but missing a few tracks I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric Ladyland packaged as "Part 1" and "Part 2" single LPs. IIRC Polydor did a similar release with Wheels of Fire.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage. Started out as two separate releases over six discs, only sold now as a 2-cd set.

The King Crimson box sets Epitaph and The Great Deceiver were both released as two separate 2-cd sets.
    Joe's Garage was 3 discs. Act 1: a single disc, and Acts 2 & 3: a double.

Epitaph was 2 discs, but you could send away for the additional discs if you were willing to put up with their inferior sound.

There exists at least one release of Niemen’s Idée Fixe as two separate discs (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, of course), but I don’t know if it came first, second, or in parallel to the bundled 2 LP version. Incidentally, the double album version originally came (à la Songs in the Key of Life) with a 7" EP, which is sadly missing from my copy.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What about that Guns n Roses piece of crap?
    If you're talking about the two Use Your Illusion albums, they were never available together.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Three discs, six sides.
    Oops, I meant six sides!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Electric Ladyland packaged as "Part 1" and "Part 2" single LPs. IIRC Polydor did a similar release with Wheels of Fire.
    Indeed. And Tommy.

I have seen many separate CDs of Dire Straits' Alchemy, because it was first released as 'Part One' and 'Part Two' on CD. The remaster is a self-contained release (as the record was) and added an extra track.

There's also Fleetwood Mac's Blues Jam At Chess/In Chicago (goes under both titles) which has had separate Volume 1/2 releases and a 2-cd release.

The Keys To Ascension Yes stuff has a complex release history. The initial release was of two separate double CD sets. Then came Keystudio which was (obviously) just the studio material on one disc. Then there was a 4-cd (plus DVD) set which bundled the two doubles together.

Actually thinking about it, this is quite common in jazz- for instance, Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter Songbook (and the others too, I guess) had a box release and separate releases. The initial CD of the album was two separate one-disc releases but the current one is a 2-cd set.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-04-2016 at 05:01 AM.

How about Eloy Planets and Time to turn?
    I think they were ment to be a double album, but they were released seperately.

Zappa: Läther - but its a different story. (Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Simple Minds released Sister Feelings Call and Sons And Fascination as two separate vinyl albums, but they were sold together as one shrink wrapped set. They were later "compiled" onto a single disc CD but missing a few tracks I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The first CD release omitted a couple of tracks but the current CD is complete. Rather perversely, I've ripped it as two separate albums! Crazy guy, me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    In the early 80's I got a reissue of Wheels of Fire on RSO that was only the first album (although the cover art still listed the songs from both albums).

Aragon - Mouse
    First released in 1992 The meeting (Mouse Act V)
    Then in 1995 Mouse
    Later there was a re-release, containing Mouse, with The meeting in the correct order.

Romanian progressive band PHOENIX, 3rd album Cantofabule.

Original 1975 release as a double LP, early 90s reissue as two single albums entitled Vol. I & Vol. II.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^Never knew that. I have the original double.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

James. The Night Before and The Morning After EPs were released both separately and together. Recently they also combined Laid and Wah Wah, which they'd always wanted to release as a double set in the first place.

Carbon Leaf had a recent live album like that. The two halves were sold separately, both with the same title and cover as the double CD... though it may not fit the OP since I think the shorter ones were only digital.

Different affairs. As pointed out, Epitaph was split up because they felt there'd be less demand for vols 3-4. The Great Deceiver was one four-disc set that was later repackaged as two budget-price doubles. And those are archive releases anyway.

That's also different from Marbles (double disc with a separate release trimmed down to one) and Use Your Illusion (two complementary individual albums that, also as pointed out, were never combined).

Actually thinking about it, this is quite common in jazz
    Miles Davis's Blackhawk and the Adams/Pullen Village Vanguard sets come to mind; there are probably tons more like 'em. Then there was Keith Jarrett's Concerts, but it doesn't quite count either since one of the shorter parts never got its own separate hardcopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

Different affairs. As pointed out, Epitaph was split up because they felt there'd be less demand for vols 3-4. The Great Deceiver was one four-disc set that was later repackaged as two budget-price doubles. And those are archive releases anyway.
    Epitaph 3/4 was sold separately many years later as that's how I got it (alongside 1/2).

Epitaph 3/4 was sold separately many years later as that's how I got it (alongside 1/2).
    3/4 was sold immediately on the tails of 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The first CD release omitted a couple of tracks but the current CD is complete. Rather perversely, I've ripped it as two separate albums! Crazy guy, me!
    I picked up the 5X box set and separated the whole thing put into albums plus bonus tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ^Never knew that. I have the original double.
    It was probably an early 90s release, as I saw it around that time (1992 or 1993). It came as two separate LPs destined to be purchased as a pair, but most dealers were selling them separately. Single covers and in different colour than the original (Vol I: yellow / Vol II: blue).
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-06-2016 at 02:57 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS