Thread: Marillion Christmas

Marillion Christmas

The boys just made the Collection of Recycled Gifts compilation (CD out of print) available on bandcamp:

https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.c...recycled-gifts

This the Christmas songs from the fan club releases over the years all in one place, plus the few random Christmas singles they've released in recent years.

This has always been a favorite of mine. It goes on all my Marillo playlists.

I've always liked their version of "Gabriel's Message."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

My favorites are this:

and Little Saint Nick, which is a Christmas version of their song Thunderfly. Listen to it on the Bandcamp page.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My favorites are this:

and Little Saint Nick, which is a Christmas version of their song Thunderfly. Listen to it on the Bandcamp page.
    I really love that Carol of the Bells (and it's digressions into the James Bond theme), and I unapologetically prefer Little Saint Nick to Thunderfly.

What I'm saying to the folks reading this is, if you aren't a life long Web member and don't have all these tracks, this is a better album than FEAR, and you should get it for yourself for Christmas.

(cue the folks schooling me about how this silly Christmas album ain't no way better than FEAR and I should have my head examined.)

Comparing this to FEAR is beyond pointless, but I'll second the recommendation. I hate Xmas carols, but A Collection is one of the handful of holiday albums I'm fine with. Disagree about "Thunder Fly" as well--any song is automatically worse with holiday tinsel in my book--but it's mostly good stuff. "Three Ships," "Gabriel's Message" and "Carol of the Bells" are all superb. Even "Let It Snow" gets saved due to the new lyrics.

Incongruity doesn't often work well, but this certainly does.

New to me. Thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The boys just made the Collection of Recycled Gifts compilation (CD out of print) available on bandcamp:
    Wow, that's out of print already? Oh well, nice to have it then, I'll be playing it this Christmas morning along with the now traditional Tull Christmas album!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've always liked their version of "Gabriel's Message."
    Agreed, absolutely love the atmosphere of that one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

With Marillion, Tull, Chris Squire and Neal Morse's rather fun prog Christmas album, I always make a pretty good Prog-flavoured Christmas playlist.
    Honourable mentions for IQ's seasonal medley "For Christ's Sake" and Panic Room's lovely "O holy night"

Is IQs medley on an official release? I used to have some old cassette boots...

Add to a proggy Christmas playlist albums by California Guitar Trio, Jon Anderson, Annie Haslam, December People (featuring John Wetton, members of Kansas, etc) and Mostly Autumn. Also add artists on closer to the the fringe of prog (Bill Nelson, Manzanera & Mackay, Cusco, Kate Bush) and who can forget "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Greg Lake?

Yes, I love Christmas music.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is IQs medley on an official release? I used to have some old cassette boots...
    It's on their first album, Seven Stories Into Eight.

Must listen to Marillion's version of Dylan Thomas' "A child's chrismas in Wales" these days again. It's sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Must listen to Marillion's version of Dylan Thomas' "A child's chrismas in Wales" these days again. It's sublime!
    Yeah, I was gonna say I like that, with the instrumental background by the band.