Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which albums should Steven Wilson remix next?

Banned
    Smak's Zašto ne volim sneg the album; I mean, if some day Mr Wilson will be desired to remaster the progressive rock masterpieces from East Europe, Balkan and so, then voici - an album with quite a modern eclectic sound, recorded on a strange foreign language but beautifully sung indeed, though not too much of singing due to the instrumental tracks that even un-remastered from an old dusty LP from 1981 still sound fresh and not dated, and yet then Mr Wilson can say in press that he discovered Yugo-prog to the world

Cheers, Mr Wilson!
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-03-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Has Steven Wilson said anything about when he will remix Porcupine Tree's In Abstenia and Deadwing?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    To be fair, I actually think Steven Wilson has quite a lot of "talent" as an engineer. I'm also inclined to believe he works very hard on these mixes and is passionate about his work.

Where I differ is regarding his methods; which I think have proved time and time again that digitally remixing analog recordings renders an inferior product.

Third is one thing, but some of the titles being thrown out in this thread are puzzling. Perhaps these are requests exclusively pertaining to a desire for a surround mix? To think the debut Hats album or Pawn Hearts would be on anyone's remix list in terms of the stereo remixes already at hand makes absolutely no sense to me. These mixes were already done on actual consoles by highly skilled engineers in consultation with the artists and producers at the time in which they were recorded. Neither needs a stereo remix, IMO.

Speaking of Third, where such a remixing venture is one which I completely understand, I think it's been established that the multis for most of it are long gone. Were they to ever turn up, I think it would be determined that the "issues" have to do with recording more so than mixing. This is just a hunch based on some recent listening to the album.
    I think the drums and bass pedals/bass guitar on PAWN HEARTS could use more clarity and presence. More depth to many other elements. They didn't have a big budget and were pressed for time often. While I can certainly live with the original mix, I don't find the idea of a remix that strange to me.

The thread title uses the word "should", but the discussion vacillates between "I want" and "is needed". We all get something different from these remixes I guess.

Some albums that have been around for so long with all their less-than-perfect charm are perhaps harder for some of us to see objectively as the sound of the production has been so connected to the songs. I don't think Pawn Hearts or A Wizard, A True Star (just two examples) necessarily need any improvement and I'd be wary of what damage could be done in the process of a remix. I think that's partly what others have felt with some of his past remixes. They felt that some of the "magic" was lost in the process of adding separation and clarity. It all became too clinical in comparison to the original. For myself, I buy some of these remixes just out of curiosity or for the "huh, I never noticed that part before" moments.

The recordings I'd like remixed/remastered most are things where there is some aspect that is really annoying to the point of making it hard for me to listen. Otherwise I think I'm pretty tolerant. Maybe the first couple of Thank You Scientist albums could use the SW treatment. Too bad the MDK multi-tracks are gone, but even there I have no problem enjoying the album even with somewhat murky sound. It's not annoying.

Has anyone found that the SW remix became their go-to version of a certain album?
    <sig out of order>

Tupac!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

Has anyone found that the SW remix became their go-to version of a certain album?
    Aqualung for sure. Relayer too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cool. I have Aqualung, but...I just have not been able to catch the Tull train. I want to get Relayer at some point, but I've already heard it so many times, owned it on cassette and CD already. My music budget favors music I haven't heard before or don't own already.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Early Grand Funk Railroad, Frankie! He's gonna moderate the castrate vibe. New Version will have vox mixing Dagmar, Waits and Barry Gibb.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh and Too Old is a must, especially for the TV recording.

Sign me up Scroterichard

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Has Steven Wilson said anything about when he will remix Porcupine Tree's In Abstenia and Deadwing?
    Weren't those already released in 5.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The thread title uses the word "should", but the discussion vacillates between "I want" and "is needed". We all get something different from these remixes I guess.

Some albums that have been around for so long with all their less-than-perfect charm are perhaps harder for some of us to see objectively as the sound of the production has been so connected to the songs. I don't think Pawn Hearts or A Wizard, A True Star (just two examples) necessarily need any improvement and I'd be wary of what damage could be done in the process of a remix. I think that's partly what others have felt with some of his past remixes. They felt that some of the "magic" was lost in the process of adding separation and clarity. It all became too clinical in comparison to the original. For myself, I buy some of these remixes just out of curiosity or for the "huh, I never noticed that part before" moments.

The recordings I'd like remixed/remastered most are things where there is some aspect that is really annoying to the point of making it hard for me to listen. Otherwise I think I'm pretty tolerant. Maybe the first couple of Thank You Scientist albums could use the SW treatment. Too bad the MDK multi-tracks are gone, but even there I have no problem enjoying the album even with somewhat murky sound. It's not annoying.

Yes indeed. SW's 5.1 remixes of albums by Yes, King Crimson & Gentle Giant are big favorites of mine. And even if you don't care for the 5.1 (or Stereo) remixes of the albums that he works on, SW always includes the original mix of the album on the DVD-A (or Blu-Ray) that he does. I also enjoy the instrumental mixes that he included on the Yes & Gentle Giant releases (as well the bonus tracks that he's included on the KC & Yes reissues).

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I think the drums and bass pedals/bass guitar on PAWN HEARTS could use more clarity and presence. More depth to many other elements. They didn't have a big budget and were pressed for time often. While I can certainly live with the original mix, I don't find the idea of a remix that strange to me.
    Can't agree about the drums. If anything I think their "presence" is maybe a bit over the top but it works well for the VDGG sound.

There isn't any bass guitar, but the bass pedals come through just fine on my vinyl copy.

Anyway ... the original is a work of art, IMO. As are all mixes of classic albums. I couldn't care less if Steven Wilson can reassemble the mix so that I hear a keyboard note I hadn't noticed before. A mix is about so much more to me than clarity. It's a feeling it creates. Emotional, really.

But speaking even from a purely technical standpoint, color me absolutely skeptical that Steven Wilson is going to sit down at his PC and come up with something within ten planets of comparable to what David Hentschel, Ken Scott and Robin Cable engineered at Trident.

Lifetime - Emergency (which is probably as desperate as Third or Flying Teapot , since the masters are gone

Allowing SW to touch on The Who's stuff, maybe??
    And convince PH that his 2004/5 job wasn't very good on the VDGG albulms.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Madonna - Like A Virgin
    Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

I'm not buying any music until he has put his magic touch upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Todd Rundgren - A wizard, a true star
    I'd like to hear what SW could do on Bat Out Of Hell (Runt was producer), more than on Todd's albums

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^GFTO absolutely. With Tormato I don't know if it's even the production/mix so much as the instrument tones they were all using on that one. Howe, Squire and Wakeman all use these really gimmicky, annoying sounds. I think there's a limit with this one as to what can be done. And it doesn't have 'classic' status.
    Well, at least Howe doesn't abuse of his lap/table/steel on Tormato

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Elton John--Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Joe Walsh--So What

I don't care who does it, just as long as SOMEONE does it.
    How about Townshend's brother-in-law?? (he's the one who fucked up The Who's albums)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Magma - MDK, or whatever other great prog album that was recorded at the Manor or released by Virgin.
    That one is quite muddy, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the first three Asia albums.
    Yup, release those on April 1st or on Oct 30th. (joke & horror)

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Masters is always the issue isn't?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Weren't those already released in 5.1?
    I didn't think so but it was. But some have complaints about In Abstentia at Amazon:

"This DVD-A version stands in sharp contrast for me in that I honestly think something got lost in the translation. In my humble opinion, the mix is disembodied, lacks any real punch (particularly the guitars which have no weight in comparison to the stereo version), and the mastering is inconsistent. The first two tracks are compressed to within an inch of their lives, and the bass guitar doesn't make an appearance until "The Sound of Muzak" (presumably more mix related than anything else).

The good news is that the sound improves as the disc progresses, so that by the time "Strip the Soul" plays, were in the ballpark in terms of mix cohesion and a lessening of over-compression on the tracks."

Maybe he could de-clutter the GTR mix.

Oh and for the record, Jon Astley has been Pete Townshend's ex-brother-in-law for quite a few years now. I believe I read Pete and Karen got divorced, finally, around 10 or so years ago. But yeah, Jon is basically the definitive freeloading brother-in-law if you ask me. He even managed to get his own record deal off the back of working with Pete and his band.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Soft Machine - "Third"
    and along that same line...
    Lifetime - Emergency
    is a landmark recording that desperately needs a total remix (not merely remaster)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Lifetime - Emergency (which is probably as desperate as Third or Flying Teapot
    heh... that'll teach me to post before reading the whole thread
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Agreed. The stereo originals of most (save the likes of Third, GFTO) of these albums can't really be improved IMHO- they don't strike me as being deficient in any way. In fact that's why I have so few of his remixes as I feel the same about most of the others he's done- I went for the ones I personally felt had issues like Aqualung and In The Court..., and I was interested to hear a different take on CTTE.

I totally get that the main appeal for most people are the 5.1 mixes, though. IMHO he more or less singlehandedly revived that format for those interested.
    Agreed about the 5.1 mixes. He should start thinking Dolby Atmos though, and 3D sound object mixing.

Take a run at GTR.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Oh, sorry GuitarGeek. Didn't mean to step on your post. Well, like minds at least.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

Anyway ... the original is a work of art, IMO. As are all mixes of classic albums. I couldn't care less if Steven Wilson can reassemble the mix so that I hear a keyboard note I hadn't noticed before. A mix is about so much more to me than clarity. It's a feeling it creates. Emotional, really.
    This is what I think too. Some of the remixes he has done that I've heard have too much clarity for my tastes.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Many of us do not have the original vinyl, nor are we going to seek it out. Therefore, I am all for a worthy digital copy, especially of the Genesis and VdGG albums. The remasters are tough on the ear after a while. I don't care if it's Steven Wilson or not. I've enjoyed his work to date, but I'm not partial to who does the work.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Many of us do not have the original vinyl, nor are we going to seek it out. Therefore, I am all for a worthy digital copy, especially of the Genesis and VdGG albums. The remasters are tough on the ear after a while. I don't care if it's Steven Wilson or not. I've enjoyed his work to date, but I'm not partial to who does the work.
    I find this a bit hard to understand, Chad.

VDGG just had their entire catalog issued directly from the UK master tapes with zero intervention a couple of years ago on Universal Japan. There were even different price points so folks into hi-res could get them on SACD but people content with redbook could get them for about $20 ea. And that's not to mention that the VDGG catalog was issued on CD long before the "remasters" and those CDs are easy to find and cheap. Some are even VERY good and sound quite similar to the recent SACDs.

Genesis, also. Prior to the first remasters in 1994, the catalog was issued in countless pressings all over the world. Overall most are still very reasonably priced and can probably be had for $10 or less with about two minutes of searching.

Maybe some of us feel the better vinyl pressings tend to beat CDs, but your statement seems to say you are feeling you only have a choice of an original vinyl pressing or an awful remaster. I can see this sometimes being true with really obscure music, but the examples you cite already have an abundance of available CDs and a plethora of reasonably priced vinyl repressings out there.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    You have a different mentality about this stuff that a lot of us do, Jeff. You're an audiophile through and through. You pride yourself on researching the best version of each album. I don't have that kind of time, but I'm glad you do because I always like to ready what your take is on a certain remaster or reissue (though you do seem to have it out for Steven Wilson ). It would be nice if an artist would want to issue definitive versions of their albums and make it easier on us, but that's always not the case. For example, I had hoped (like many of us) that the Genesis boxes would be the holy grail of Genesis mixes. Unfortunately, we were let down. The stereo mixes are tinny (though the 5.1 is pretty good) and a bit of a letdown, for what it's worth. Now that I'm invested in those boxes, I'm not planning to go back and re-purchase the catalog for the previous mixes (or yet another mix in the case of VdGG), nor do I have an interest in going vinyl. It's all a matter of budgetary priority, I guess.
    Chad