Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flute Prog Rock

Flute Prog Rock

Part one of a four part feature on the Flute in prog rock and progressive music has been published by DPRP.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-061.php

This led me to think about some of my favourite flute led bands. I have recently been enjoying a raft of Japanese bands including Tee and the work of Yuukai Kenchiku. Any other suggestions ?
    Last edited by prestonplatform; 12-07-2016 at 07:23 PM.

If you like TEE, definitely try those first two Kenso albums, if you haven’t already. Yajima Shiro’s flute playing makes the albums (ditto the lush analog synth work of Atsushi Makiuchi).

And speaking of Harold McNair, do not overlook Cressida’s Asylum, one of the last albums he played on. I had forgotten how lovely his featured flute solos were until a recent re-listen.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

If you like TEE, definitely try those first two Kenso albums, if you haven’t already. Yajima Shiro’s flute playing makes the albums (ditto the lush analog synth work of Atsushi Makiuchi).

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And speaking of Harold McNair, do not overlook Cressida’s Asylum, one of the last albums he played on. I had forgotten how lovely his featured flute solos were until a recent re-listen.
    Thanks for your suggestion re Kenso.......Harold McNair is so overlooked yet such an amazing player

Not to forget Jimmy Hastings' great (though only occasional) flute in Caravan. Or Chris Wood in Traffic.

Rufus Zuphall's debut is very flutey.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Part one of a four part feature on the Flute in prog rock and progressive music has been published by DPRP.
    I have recently been enjoying a raft of Japanese bands including Tee and the work of Yuukai Kenchiku. Any other suggestions ?
    Naikaku. Flute with crunchy guitar.

Nils rips out the flute on the Free Salamander Exhibit debut!

I was just re-listening to Finisterre's In Limine. Some tasty flute-y prog there. I assume this thread is meant to bypass the obvious Tull and Camel references, but early Italo-prog was a flute-prog wunderland.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I was just re-listening to Finisterre's In Limine. Some tasty flute-y prog there. I assume this thread is meant to bypass the obvious Tull and Camel references, but early Italo-prog was a flute-prog wunderland.

Absolutely agree re early Italo-prog...many bands spring to mind including Dalton, Capitolo 6, De De Lind, Osanna and the New Trolls. Finisterre's In Limine is great as well.

More recently Mad Fellaz debut album has lots of tasteful flute parts

The mighty Fruitcake rears it's head for the holiday season
    ...and this thread

Fruitcake - Touched by the Fire (with lyrics)

Tomorrow's Gift debut.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Atavism Of Twilight

Naikaku
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Jon Neudorf
    Lots of flute on Sonus Umbra's latest 'Beyond the Panopticon'. The Tull influence is highly prevalent. Perhaps Luis can comment. It is excellent.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Atavism Of Twilight

Naikaku
    Thanks for all the suggestions
    I had forgotten about Atavism of Twilight..must remind myself by playing it this evening. Naikaku : Shell is one of my favourite flute- prog albums

L'Orchestre Sympathique - En Concert a la Grande Passe

One of my very favourite Quebecois albums.

Some New Trolls albums have a lot of flute, especially Concerto Grossos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    L'Orchestre Sympathique - En Concert a la Grande Passe

One of my very favourite Quebecois albums.
    Thanks for the suggestion, not heard this band/album

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Some New Trolls albums have a lot of flute, especially Concerto Grossos.
    Great album

Horslips keyboardist Jim Lockhart also played a lot of flute, especially on the Aliens album where there was a pretty obvious Tull influence.

Focus is a classic case too.
    Several German rock'jazz bands of the early seventies should be included here, including the already mentioned Rufus Zuphall on both their albums, and Tomorrows Gift, adding Sahara, Xhol, Organisation and early Kraftwerk, Aera, Message, 2066 and Then, Mythos, Kollektiv, Satin Whale, Yatha Sidra, all of these bands that featured at least some flute.

↑Don’t forget Tortilla Flat, a lot of flute on that one!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Great album
    There were two of them(actually three if you include the more recent one). I don't think there was much(if any)flute on the second one so I assume you mean the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I assume you mean the first one.
    Yes absolutely

I have always had a soft spot for Italian flute rich bands. I used to enjoy Malibran but find the vocals difficult to listen to.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Many of them I knew about, but had forgotten. I have had a great time revisiting these. Especially enjoyed Tortilla Flat.

Currently listening to Triode's On N'a Pas Fini D'Avoir Tout Vu which is one of the albums reviewed in part 1 of the DPRP flute special.

Strange that the band decided to include a version of the Beatles 'Come Together'...I guess it helped to sell a few copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ↑Don’t forget Tortilla Flat, a lot of flute on that one!
    Yes, great album. I've also heard their SWC Sessions album, which is fantastic. Lots of German bands from that era used flute: I'll add Ihre Kinder, McChurch Soundroom, Virus...