Thread: Umphrey's McGee "Zonkey"?

Umphrey's McGee "Zonkey"?

Just curious if anyone has this and if so what they think of it? I am not even exactly sure what it is as I have seen it described as a “mash up” album. I typically like all things UM, but not what this one is all about?

It's actually very good, a "fun" album for sure. Essentially UM takes 2 or 3 songs (mostly notable hits from various genres) and mashes them up together. This could be National Anthem from Radiohead mixed with Loser from Beck to Sweet Dreams from the Eurythmics mixed with Sunglasses at Night. It's very well done, and if you know the songs being referenced, all the more fun.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

If you're more into the proggy, extended jamming side of UM, this one is a departure, focusing more on their arranging, sound pallet and sense of humor. I love it. Then again, I'm pretty biased
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

It's fun, but I prefer live versions of their mashups which tend to have longer instrumental sections and improv

I heard a few samples on YouTube, and it's not my bag.

I've been anxiously awaiting a proper follow-up to "Similar Skin" (which I loved), looks like I'll have to keep waiting.

Thanks for the info. I may try to check out some sample first. Going to see them live again in February. Brand new venue just opening in Grand Rapids Michigan (Umphrey’s will be their 2nd show). Should be interesting.

Brilliant!

fun album, odd mashups that work surprisingly well at times.

I decided to pick this up and I am really digging it. I agree with the other comments that the album is a lot of fun. It certainly shows off the versatility of this band as they can play virtually any style and pull it off. I have had it in my car stereo all week.