Thread: Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei

I finally picked this up on CD. I remember thinking it was too abrasive when I had it on record years ago, but don't feel that way listening to it now. One of the earliest krautrock masterpieces. Stepping up from Amon Düül I, the reformed/breakaway group, II, really took it to the next level on this release. The freak out elements are still there but the musicianship is far more accomplished and the improv doesn't get repetitive and boring like with ADI.

Great debut!

In hindsight, it's nothing short of amazing that this record was produced in summer '69. For this kind of radical, outrageously anarchic shit, that was early!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I rate Yeti higher, but PD is a great mindbending Kraut-psych freakout, both timely and timeless....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Good start from a great band. I think they really hit a stride with Yeti and Tanz..., but clearly the first album was a foundation for those.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

God's Penis indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    God's Penis indeed.
    The Rod of God. May the dork of our lord be with you.

This one hasn't clicked for me.

I've had it for two or three years now.

My favorite is still Wolf City.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    God's Penis indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Rod of God. May the dork of our lord be with you.
    Thank goodness we can finally talk about Jesus' genitals here (I consider Jesus to be God).

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I remember thinking it was too abrasive when I had it on record years ago, but don't feel that way listening to it now.
    To be honest, I've never heard this album, because I always assumed it would be too abrasive for me. I love AD II, but I prefer the albums that come after Yeti (though most of Yeti is great) so I always felt I could skip the debut. I should really hear it some time.

I would say that any of their first three could be my favourite. By the way that bonus four part suite called "Freak Out Requiem" is as good as the rest of the album
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

By none other than Wim Wenders in 1969!:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Good start from a great band. I think they really hit a stride with Yeti and Tanz..., but clearly the first album was a foundation for those.
    That says what I'm thinking, so I'll just QFT!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Hardly needs to be said, but just about everything they did on United Artists is magnificent. Truly one of the gems of the progressive era.

Even this 2005 video is still good
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...vvgz6tT2pZfq_X
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Hardly needs to be said, but just about everything they did on United Artists is magnificent. Truly one of the gems of the progressive era.
    The only UA/Liberty album of theirs I don’t care for, oddly enough, is Live in London. You’d think a band as based in improvisation as ADII would be made for live albums, but they come across as stiff and restrained here. None of the songs builds on their studio counterparts, in fact, they subtract from them; a grave mistake. And the too-brief improvisation is a letdown. Off night? Also, I think they really needed a double LP to do them justice.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only UA/Liberty album of theirs I don’t care for, oddly enough, is Live in London. You’d think a band as based in improvisation as ADII would be made for live albums, but they come across as stiff and restrained here. None of the songs builds on their studio counterparts, in fact, they subtract from them; a grave mistake. And the too-brief improvisation is a letdown. Off night? Also, I think they really needed a double LP to do them justice.
    I agree. I never felt the need to pick this one up on CD as it adds nothing to studio versions.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thank goodness we can finally talk about Jesus' genitals here (I consider Jesus to be God).
    I think they were talking about mine here!!

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I would say that any of their first three could be my favourite. By the way that bonus four part suite called "Freak Out Requiem" is as good as the rest of the album
    I prefer the first three as well, but until Carnival and Wolf City, it's all good
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Killer album. I find it strange though, that the SPV remaster swapped the album sides so track 1 is the title track.
    Last edited by Progatron; 09-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As much as any, they--and this LP--embodied the spirit that animated the music and times. Dig it madly!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

So, favorite digital version of the AD II reissues?