Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : Terpandre - s/t

It's been 18 years since I listened to this one, but what I remember is:

1. Okay compositions, but a bit dull.
    2. The guitarist was way too low in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

It was Patrick Tilleman the violinst alright. He'd been with Zao and Forgas. Almost good enough, that.
    Aha! That explains the Zoa-ish tempos and a faint unobtrusive whiff of Zeuhl!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

An album full of instrumental richness. A great one!

From this particular era of french progressive rock, the albums of Mosaic and Ma Banlieue Flasque are also musts.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-01-2016 at 06:38 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    the Zoa-ish tempos and a faint unobtrusive whiff of Zeuhl!
    There's some other connection too which I can't quite recall just now. But yes, it's sometimes easy to forget that in France even "conventional" progressive artists were seemingly well aware of the Zeuhl phenomenon. It can be felt with as disparate names as Clearlight, Wapassou and slightly on Atoll's fabulous L'Araignée-Mal.

However, it can hardly be felt with Aznavour, Dassin or Mouskouri.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Mosaic
    This is a fantastic artifact! If MiO hadn't rediscovered this album, a true gem would have passed under the bridge. I particularly love the bizarre yet still so gripping merger of chamber-rock and proto-punk sonorities. With Camizole they were probably one of the very last 70s French bands to really capture that anarchic post-68 spirit of free form experimentalism, juxtaposing strict structures and instrumental primitivism more effectively, I think, than later bands like Art Moulu Trefin or Look deBouk (who were good as well).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have the Mosaic reissue, but haven't spun it yet. Time to bump it to the top of the pile.

Wow, well this one definitely flew under my radar. Very interesting, very nicely done though! Something that would have been very nice to have in 1981.