Thread: RIP Pauline Oliveros

RIP Pauline Oliveros

R.I.P. (May 30, 1932 – November 25, 2016)
    Pauline Oliveros Women Early Gurus of Electronic Music. Central figure in the development of experimental and post-war electronic art music.
    * Extract from An interview with Pauline Oliveros
    By Alan Baker, American Public Media, January 2003

Let's talk a little bit about… or maybe you can just tell me about your arrival in California and what eventually led you to electronics.

Well, I arrived in California in 1952. I had my accordion and $300. I supported myself with a day job for about 9 months, and then I began to get a string of accordion students. I went back to school at San Francisco State where I met Terry Riley, Lauren Rush and Stuart Dempster. We've been friends since then, and still work together in one way or another. When I arrived there I didn't know anyone, and I had to make my own way. I began to play my accordion at casual engagements, and so on. Eventually, through going to school at San Francisco State College, I met Robert Erickson who became my mentor and teacher for 6 or 7 years. I met, as I said before, my friends, and I became connected with a kind of group of people who were interested in new music. This eventually led to the founding of the San Francisco Tape Music Center with Morton Subotnick and Ramon Sender, which was transferred after several years to Mills College and became the Center for Contemporary Music. It is still there as that today. So that's a brief nutshell history of my arrival in San Francisco.

Shit.

Although I don't think dead folks rest in any way but the peaceful one, I'll still say R.I.P. when it comes to someone like her. R.I.P. indeed.

Major talent!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

R.I.P. :-(

She was one of those artists who created electronic music which I found quite evocative rather than cold and clinical. Here's a nice collection:

https://www.discogs.com/Pauline-Oliv...release/544162
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

A true pioneer of American electronic music.She led a life well lived.Thanks for the music.

RIP Pauline Oliveros.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I heard on the radio last night that she had died in the BBC transmission from the Huddersfield Comtemporary Music Festival. They had plans of inviting her next year, but that is obviously not going to happen.

I don't think she had much direct contact with the rock or jazz worlds (I might be wrong), but she was one of the pioneers of playing electronic music live using a tape-delay set-up that was very similar to the one Robert Fripp later adopted for his Frippertronics. Check out some of here 60s electronics works like Big Mother is Wathcing You.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I don't think she had much direct contact with the rock or jazz worlds (I might be wrong), but she was one of the pioneers of playing electronic music live using a tape-delay set-up that was very similar to the one Robert Fripp later adopted for his Frippertronics. Check out some of here 60s electronics works like Big Mother is Wathcing You.
    It's pretty much the exact same setup, ie using two reel to reel machines, with sound being recorded on machine one, then playing back on machine two, with the output of machine to being split so that one output goes out to a recorder or PA, and then other fed back into the input on tape machine one. From what I gather from the liner notes of the CD's I have, Pauline used a patchbay that allowed her to patch the record and playback heads in different combinations, in stereo.

I've got a lot of those recordings. There's one album called Electronic Works, I believe one of the other ones I have is called No Mo, and a third one I think is called Beautiful Soop/Alien Bog. There's also a 12 CD set called Reverberations. All of these contain music recorded in the 60's using the above described tape loop system (Reverberations also has one of her earliest recordings, where she uses a bathtub as an instrument), and there's zero overlap between any of them. Apparently, when Reverberations came out a few years ago, the majority of the material on it had never been issued before.

She was one of the first people to use a Buchla Electronic Music Box (Buchla apparently disliked his instruments being called "synthesizers"), using the prototype that Don Buchla himself built for the Mills College studio. That's the instrument she used on her "Bog" series of compositions, though I gather she didn't like it as much as the test oscillators she had been using prior to it.

I of IV is an oddly beautiful piece. Like her friend and sometimes collaborator, Alvin Lucier, she liked to use the concept of “heterodyning” in her music. The actual sounds you hear are produced not by the audio oscillators used, but by interference frequencies. The oscillators are actually tuned to frequencies beyond the range of human hearing. The result sounds like something from the center of a neutron star:

R.I.P., Pauline, and thanks for the music!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There's also a 12 CD set called Reverberations. All of these contain music recorded in the 60's using the above described tape loop system (Reverberations also has one of her earliest recordings, where she uses a bathtub as an instrument), and there's zero overlap between any of them. Apparently, when Reverberations came out a few years ago, the majority of the material on it had never been issued before.
    Didn't know about this one. I see that it is available in download format at quite a reasonable price, so might be something to indulge in. More than 10 hours worth of music to enjoy.

R.I.P.

What Walt said.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Didn't know about this one. I see that it is available in download format at quite a reasonable price, so might be something to indulge in. More than 10 hours worth of music to enjoy.
    A couple of the CD's are only a half hour long, but it's a great set. She was one of my Facebook friends, so when it got reissued last year, she posted it about it, and finally having the money, I made sure I picked up the set.

Listened to "Deep Listening" last night; saw her a couple of times live here in Austin. Great talent.

RIP......................boy, 2016 is horrible in so many ways.....
    G.A.S -aholic

was so fortunate to see her here in Ottawa just a few years ago celebrating the 25th anniversary of Deep Listening. Fabulous show

RIP

https://sites.google.com/site/dunrob...bin-sonic-gems

I've always been very proud of having studied with Pauline back in the '70s. She was my first electronic music professor. Those courses with her were my first experience with synthesizers, using the Buchla modular system--no keyboards, just touchpads, sequencers, and a lot of banana plugs. That was an experience I'll never forget. So sad that within a matter of months we've lost both Don Buchla and Pauline.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've always been very proud of having studied with Pauline back in the '70s. She was my first electronic music professor. Those courses with her were my first experience with synthesizers, using the Buchla modular system--no keyboards, just touchpads, sequencers, and a lot of banana plugs. That was an experience I'll never forget. So sad that within a matter of months we've lost both Don Buchla and Pauline.
    Awesome. I'm going to assume you crossed paths with Ciani, too?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Awesome. I'm going to assume you crossed paths with Ciani, too?
    No, never met her.

Ciani was associated with Stanford in Palo Alto, so far as I know. Oliveros was UC San Diego, 500 miles south.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Oliveros was UC San Diego, 500 miles south.
    Indeed she was when I studied with her, although of course she was based in the Bay Area before that.

Oliveros and Ciani are pretty diametrically opposed, stylistically, as well.

MASSIVE loss. I'll spin some Deep Listening Band in memoriam, today.

RIP!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Oliveros and Ciani are pretty diametrically opposed, stylistically, as well.
    They both used the Buchla, however. I was just wondering if he'd crossed paths with her, not if Oliveros and Ciani toured together. Ciani was also in L.A. for a bit.

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2014/0...ic-in-the-70s/

Sunergy brings together synthesists Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Suzanne Ciani for the thirteenth installment of FRKWYS, RVNG Intl.’s intergenerational collaboration series. For this edition, a panorama of the Pacific Coast provides the place and head space for exploratory Buchla synthesizer passages that meditate on a life-giving form vast and volatile with change.

https://kaitlynaureliasmith.bandcamp...vol-13-sunergy

A long excerpt from a performance given in New Jersey on Nov 5 2015
    Pauline Oliveros-Processed Accordian (it even had foot-pedals!)
    Ben Neill-'Mutant" (Processed) Trumpet
    Seth Cluett-Electronics https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB2z...
    Michael Bullock-Electronics

Pauline Oliveros: A Ted talk lecture event: