Thread: Gracenote-Enabled CD Player?

Gracenote-Enabled CD Player?

Hey, does anybody make a DVD & CD player that goes out to the internet and displays track titles and cover image? My Panasonic Bluray player just puts up a basic track list ("track 1" through track whatever) with no specific information -- even though it's an Internet-connected player (for Bluray Plus). Every computer-based CD player these days accesses Gracenote or some other service to fill in the details. Why no standalone players?

A quick Google on this subject came up wanting.

I have an older Sony Blu-Ray player which connected to Gracenote to get CD titles, model BDP-S590. I say "connected" past tense because it's no longer able to connect to Gracenote. The only thing I use it for now is playing SACDs. I have a newer Sony Blu-Ray player for playing everything else a Blu-Ray player plays.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thanks. The replacement model for this, BDP-S5500, is only $99. I may have to visit Best Buy today.

Best Buy had a replacement for the S5500, the S6500, and it was only $89.

The clerk in Best Buy didn't think the unit would access Gracenote, but he was wrong. The default (in "Settings") is to manually allow you (via "Music Search") to access Gracenote and pull down a cover image and track list, but there's also an option to make this "automatic" and dang if that doesn't doesn't work slicker than snot. Neato!

I just paid $59.99 for a BDP-S1700, which also connects to Gracenote. Only drawback is it only connects via Ethernet cable...it doesn't have WiFi capability. But that's not an issue for me because my viewing/listening area is wired.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama