Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Team Rock.com - The Top 10 Best King Crimson 1970's Songs

From Team Rock.com - The Top 10 Best King Crimson 1970's Songs

The Top 10 Best King Crimson 1970s Songs

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-...-crimson-songs

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Interesting that ITCOTCK isn't in there.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not really seeing as its from the 60s and this is a 70s list.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good list. No arguments from me at all.

Finally an article I can fully read without having to sign up for that site...

Decent list, probably would've put Easy Money instead of The Nightwatch though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like the pick, Ashbury Park.

Major omission. This smokes "Red":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-lIgt4E2U

Have to agree. Personal preference and all that.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting that ITCOTCK isn't in there.
    Yeah, The Court of the Crimson King, with Greg Lake on it, is their best song.
    And I wonder that they have made a list of only the songs from the 70s (actually, 1970 - 1974)...Maybe they forgot that King Crimson weren't released more than one album in the 60s (actually, ItCotCK was released in October 1969 - so at the end of the decade), lol.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 11-25-2016 at 12:05 AM.

You think Sid 'forgot'?
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just didn't read the title carefully, looked at the list, figured it was "top 10 pre-80's KC tracks," didn't see ITCOTCK so assumed it wasn't rated in the top 10. Simple as that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You think Sid 'forgot'?
    Just kidding, of course. However, it is ridiculous to make the list with only the 70s songs by the band who released just one LP in the 60s.
    It seems to me as that they fight over what to put on the list, that they didn't know how to solve it, and at the end they found a solution in elimination of the songs from the debut album.
    Anyway, I'm waiting for them now to make a "list of KC's songs from the 60s", lol
    Last edited by Svetonio; 11-24-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Yeah, The Court of the Crimson King, with Greg Lake on it, is their best song.
    And I wonder that they have made a list of only the songs from the 70s (actually, 1970 - 1974)...Maybe they forgot that King Crimson weren't released more than one album in the 60s, lol.
    Why do you always state opinion as fact?

My opinion is that "Fracture" is their best song. And fwiw, their was no Crimson from mid-'74 through 12/31/79.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Why do you always state opinion as fact?

My opinion is that "Fracture" is their best song. (...)
    I just forgot to put that "IMO" stamp on my post.

Have to agree. Personal preference and all that.
    Bruford was correct when he told Fripp at the time of recording that "Red" wasn't much. Fripp replied with "Ok, the I'll leave your name off the credits". Funny when Fripp admitted years later that he discovered that Bruford had been getting royalties for it all along. LOL

Fwiw, oddly, Fripp sees the album Red as more American than its 2 Larks era predecessors. I suspect that that's why it ended up on that top ten list. American writers tend to see rock through an American prism. Dopes.

I just forgot to put that "IMO" stamp on my post.
    You always do. Someone can leave it off, and it can be easily inferred. You're a different case, though. Like when you make such definitive statements about rock operas and the Who. Statistically speaking, it's pretty easy to write a top 5 rock opera if you happen to be one of the writers of the only 5 that were ever attempted. LOL

Banned
    (...)And fwiw, their was no Crimson from mid-'74 through 12/31/79.
    Exactly, that's only half decade of the band's activity in the 70s, and that's why it is even more ridiculous (imo) to eliminate the MASTERPIECE song like The Court of the Crimson King just in favour to make a list of the 70s songs by the band who released only one LP in the 60s.

Fwiw, oddly, Fripp sees the album Red as more American than its 2 Larks era predecessors. I suspect that that's why it ended up on that top ten list. American writers tend to see rock through an American prism. Dopes.
    Well if you are referring to Sid Smith who wrote this top 10 he's from Whitley Bay in the North East of England.
    Ian

Banned
    You always do. Someone can leave it off, and it can be easily inferred. You're a different case, though. Like when you make such definitive statements about rock operas and the Who. Statistically speaking, it's pretty easy to write a top 5 rock opera if you happen to be one of the writers of the only 5 that were ever attempted. LOL
    If you want that we discuss about The Who, there is another thread for that.

Exactly, that's only half decade of the band's activity, and that's why it is even more ridiculous (imo) to eliminate the MASTERPIECE song like The Court of the Crimson King just in favour to make a list of the 70s songs by the band who released only one LP in the 60s
    You're preaching to the choir. To me, Crimson was the best rock band to have ever existed. True progressive music. Eight different bands - eight different musics. Nobody has done that - outside of Miles Davis. That's why when I see people discussing Yes and why can't they play 70s stuff, I chuckle. Boomers and their sentimental attachments!

These lists are dumb, but since we're holding a discussions within its set constraints, the first album gets left off.

Well if you are referring to Sid Smith who wrote this top 10 he's from Whitley Bay in the North East of England.
    I didn't notice who wrote it, and I know where Sid's from. Isn't that an American e-mag, though?

Banned
    (...) To me, Crimson was the best rock band to have ever existed. True progressive music. (...)
    What's "untrue" progressive music for you? I mean, by the bands from the same league?

I didn't notice who wrote it, and I know where Sid's from. Isn't that an American e-mag, though?
    No, it's English, it's constantly promoting minor English mainstream prog bands.
    Ian

What's "untrue" progressive music for you? I mean, by the bands from the same league?
    There are none in the same league. Yes hasn't progressed in decades. As a matter of fact, jazz is more progressive than prog rock ever could be, generally speaking.

Banned
    There are none in the same league. (...)
    Really? Only one band played in British Premier Prog League? What a shit league then.