Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes and ELP

The Enemy God

Yes and ELP

Why are there loads of Yes threads on here but few ELP?

YES seems to have more universal appeal in general.

I personally rate ELP's best as highly as I do YES's best, but I'm probably in the minority.

YES is still making records (not very good ones IMHO), ELP has not made one since the 90's.

ELP has less controversy concerning band members. There have only been 4 members. People love controversy. I don't think there were too many people during the Cozy Powell days that were that adamant about them not being the 'real ELP'.

That's my .02...
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

You can tell only so many jokes about the cover of Love Beach...

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You can tell only so many jokes about the cover of Love Beach...
    And also because you can't tell enough jokes about old guys in polyester.

Why not ask the same question on why not many Pink Flyod threads , who are without doubt the biggest prog band ever....note i said biggest & not the best !

meimjustalawnmower
    I don't even consider Pink Floyd to be prog.

Then what would you consider Pink Floyd to be?

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Then what would you consider Pink Floyd to be?

Psychedelic in the beginning. Classic Arena Rock in the end. They made only two albums that I would consider even remotely to be prog (DSOTM, Animals).

I`ll have to research Classic Arena Rock as i`ve never heard of it being defined as a genre of music ¿

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I`ll have to research Classic Arena Rock as i`ve never heard of it being defined as a genre of music ¿
    Man, it's not a contest. I'm just sayin' what I think. You can call Pink Floyd a "ham sandwich". I don't care. It's not that important.

1. Yes is more popular
    2. Yes has had more activity in the last 20 years
    3. Yes is still together, touring and recording
    4. Yes is more interesting
    5. Yes is more controversial

You get the idea...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

You get the idea...
    6. Yes has more 40 year old fanboys who live in their mother's basements.

Got it.

ELP were more popular than Yes in the early 70s, but a lot of prog fans under 30(let's say) don't care much for the trio. They never had an "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" to make the younger folk get interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    6. Yes has more 40 year old fanboys who live in their mother's basements.

Got it.
    Well, yeah, there's that, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ELP were more popular than Yes in the early 70s, but a lot of prog fans under 30(let's say) don't care much for the trio. They never had an "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" to make the younger folk get interested in them.
    Well, they had "Touch & Go," but that wasn't as wildly popular as "Owner."

Though I'd venture to say that Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 is more in the public mainstream than anything Yes ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, they had "Touch & Go," but that wasn't as wildly popular as "Owner."

Though I'd venture to say that Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 is more in the public mainstream than anything Yes ever did.
    "Lucky Man" has got to be their biggest 'hit', no?

Certainly that (as well as "Karn Evil 9") are still FM classic-rock radio staples.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Lucky Man" has got to be their biggest 'hit', no?

Certainly that (as well as "Karn Evil 9") are still FM classic-rock radio staples.
    Sure, but you don't hear that in hockey arenas, etc.

The "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends" is iconic.

There are and have been plenty of threads on ELP. And all those "Big Six" artists, although now that Pink Floyd somehow aren't allowed inclusion it'll have to be "Big Five" instead, but WAIT! It already WAS, wasn't it? Oh, but Tull had that overt "singer-songwriter" sensibility to them, so it has to be the "Big Four" from now. Or rather the "Big Three", since Krimso didn't really fit the "sympho-lympho" tag that well. OK then, the "Big Two", seeing how ELP were too much distracted by their boogie affinities and Lake's Neil Diamond-antics ("Lend Your Love to Me Tonight" and other such masterworks). Or the "Big One", 'cause Genesis weren't really that tremendously "big" in the first place until after the proglodyte couple of Gabe/Hacko had left.

So we're left with Yes. Let's start discussing that Russian onetime Yes keyboardist's choice of underpants before actually venturing into something new or interesting, shall we?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Let's start discussing that Russian onetime Yes keyboardist's choice of underpants before actually venturing into something new or interesting, shall we?
    Sounds like a plan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some would say (including me) ELP hasn't made a really good album since 1973 (Brain Salad Surgery) so their real creative time is much more distant than that of Yes. So, less to discuss.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    They made only two albums that I would consider even remotely to be prog (DSOTM, Animals).
    What do you consider WYWH to be? You think it's less prog than DSOTM? Cause I'd say it's more prog, if anything.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Some would say (including me) ELP hasn't made a really good album since 1973 (Brain Salad Surgery) so their real creative time is much more distant than that of Yes. So, less to discuss.
    Wouldn't the fact that ELP has not made many shitty albums since 1973 make it all equal?

What do you consider WYWH to be? You think it's less prog than DSOTM?
    Absolutely I think that WYWH is less prog than DSOTM.

What do you consider WYWH to be? You think it's less prog than DSOTM? Cause I'd say it's more prog, if anything.
    Not that it diminishes it as an album, but yeah, less prog to me. It's really just a blues album with sound effects. Actually, that's every PF album up to The Wall, but WYWH is a little more straight forward than the two on either side.

It always seemed to me that every ELP fan liked YES, but not every YES fan liked ELP.

Pink Floyd were a good (but not prog) band up to DSotM when they jumped the shark and went commercial.