Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historic Yes/prog sites in London

Historic Yes/prog sites in London

I’m going to London for a few days next month, tagging along with my wife, who is attending a conference there. I’ll have plenty of time to kill during the day, and I thought it would be cool to visit some historic prog sites (even if they no longer exist). Suggestions would be most appreciated! Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

Marquee Club, 90 Wardour Street. Many early prog bands played here.

La Chasse Club, 100 Wardour Street. This is where Jon Anderson met Chris Squire!

Blaises, 121 Queen’s Gate. This is where Yes famously subbed for Sly and the Family Stone at the last minute.

Advision Studios, 23 Gosfield Street. Many great prog bands recorded here, of course.

50A Munster Road. This is the flat where Yes (excepting Tony Kaye) lived communally in 1969.

You could try some of these:-

http://pinkfloydtouroflondon.com/lastgo.htm
    Permission To Rock - Volume One
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247182
    featuring Barclay James Harvest, Fish, Marillion, Beardfish, Yes + more

Fantastic! Thanks, Deano.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    I’m going to London for a few days next month, tagging along with my wife, who is attending a conference there. I’ll have plenty of time to kill during the day, and I thought it would be cool to visit some historic prog sites (even if they no longer exist). Suggestions would be most appreciated! Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

La Chasse Club, 100 Wardour Street. This is where Jon Anderson met Chris Squire!

Blaises, 121 Queen’s Gate. This is where Yes famously subbed for Sly and the Family Stone at the last minute.

Advision Studios, 23 Gosfield Street. Many great prog bands recorded here, of course.

50A Munster Road. This is the flat where Yes (excepting Tony Kaye) lived communally in 1969.
    As a tourist to another tourist, I'd like to suggest you this pub which is a legendary place mostly due to all those rock stars who were drinking there in the golden era:

http://pubwalks-uk.com/ship-soho.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    You could try some of these:-

http://pinkfloydtouroflondon.com/lastgo.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Two good sites I will certainly examine closer for my future trip to London and the Floyd exihibition coming up.

thanks to both of you
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Fulham Palace Café where King Crimson was born!

Steven Sullivan and I did our own Yes tour a few years back. I think the relevant photos and description are somewhere on the ForgottenYesterdays site or the FY Facebook site.

Wardour Street's been re-developed, so I don't think the relevant buildings are there any more. 50A Munster Road is and looks just the same. There's a pub near me in Kentish Town where Mabel Greer's Toyshop used to rehearse.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Some of the historic concert venues could be worth a visit, notably:

The Royal Albert Hall - Where Yes supported Cream on their farewell show, and of course where they and many others have played subsequently. I believe there are guided tours, and it would be very interesting to see back stage etc, in such an historic venue.

Hammersmith Odeon - Now called The Apollo, it's been the site of many a wonderful prog gig / rock gig. I've seen Yes here many times too.

Royal Festival Hall - On the South Bank of the Thames, and is an arts complex very worth visiting. There are some prog connections, VDGG played here on their reunion tour. I've seen Kraftwerk, Steven Wilson, Steve Howe (in the smaller Queen Elizabeth Hall), amongst many others, though it is more renowned as a classical venue.

The Barbican - Another arts complex, that has held the occasional gig, including Camel's hugely emotional and wonderful return after Andy's recovery.

There's so much to see in London, but they will give you a start.

The Peel - Kingston.

Most important prog venues of the last 10 years everyone inc Fish,Oceansize, Amplifier, Tinyfish, Pallas, Pendragon, Knifeworld, Haken, Frost, IQ etc etc . Sadly it's been knocked down.

Not very useful, apologies.

How about Advision Sound Studios? This is where Yes recorded their seminal albums; The Yes Album, Fragile & Close To The Edge.

The Electric Ballroom in Camden Town has a great musical history and still is a live venue and holds Records Fairs. Google it. Camden is a great Town too, vibrant and lively. Well worth a visit,

^ definitely, it is more of a punk / Brit pop type of scene / history, but a cool alternative to mainstream London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many rock bands period played there. It was the venue in London if you were an up and coming band, that's where you wanted to play, and a lot of established bands and performers still performed there when they wanted to do something "intimate". Gary Moore recorded a live album (released against his wishes, actually) at the Marquee in the early 80's.

Banned
    Oh and I forgot to suggest O'Neill's bar at Soho where the legends like Jimi Hendrix played in the 60s.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...n_England.html

^ Next door to O'Nelll's is one of the most famous Chinese restaurants in London, Wong Kei, which is well worth a visit. The only prog connection I can think of is that I took Lino there when he was over earlier this year, we went to O'Neill's too for that matter

There's also Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club on Oxford Street. It would be easier to list who hasn't rather than who has played at this Iconic club!

I understand that it's not "in London," but would a day trip to "Yes Tor" be worthy?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Many, many thanks for all the suggestions! Regarding Yes Tor, I just looked it up on Wikipedia: "It lies within a British Army firing range and safe access is only possible on days or nights when firing is not taking place." So I guess I will have to cross that one off the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I understand that it's not "in London," but would a day trip to "Yes Tor" be worthy?
    From London? It's a fairly long "day trip", especially with the hike involved getting up there!

Many, many thanks for all the suggestions! Regarding Yes Tor, I just looked it up on Wikipedia: "It lies within a British Army firing range and safe access is only possible on days or nights when firing is not taking place." So I guess I will have to cross that one off the list!
    Quote Originally Posted by andypashley View Post
    From London? It's a fairly long "day trip", especially with the hike involved getting up there!
    Okay, maybe not.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I finally made it there in the summer, spectacular.

At this very moment, most of Dartmoor looks more like an ocean than a moor (& I don't mean a topographic ocean). You'd be more likely to see Mr & Mrs Noah than you would be to see Yes Tor.

Steve, that photo makes me want to make the trip up to Yes Tor. I kind of already did, but seeing that makes me want to do so even more.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

275 Portobello Road, Notting Hill - for sale, formerly Talkhouse Coffee, formerly The Mountain Grill Restaurant - "and in the grove, by gate and hill, midst merry throng and market clatter - stood the Hall of the Mountain Grill where table strain'd 'neath loaded platter".

Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove are worth a pilgrimage - the home of Frendz magazine, squats inhabited by Clapton and Hendrix, The Globe pub (next door to a studio that Yes recorded at), The Tabernacle (where Floyd and the Stones rehearsed), SARM studios, the original Virgin Records and Tapes, Samarkand Hotel where Hendrix died...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Steve, that photo makes me want to make the trip up to Yes Tor. I kind of already did, but seeing that makes me want to do so even more.
    I'd been wanting to do it since 1978. Head for Okehampton and follow the signs for the (Army) Camp. Most importantly pick a day with nice weather!
    Check below that the army aren't using it for firing practice, and here's a video from Dave Rich on You Tube.

http://www.dartmoorpreservation.com/firing-notices/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXV...okw7C&index=10