Thread: Half Past Four- How'd I miss them?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Half Past Four- How'd I miss them?

I was downloading the audio files from my purchase of 3rDegree's exceptional live DVD "Live in Europe and America" from bandcamp when a link/recommendation on our esteemed NJ proggrers' page caught my interest. Went over to Half Past Four's page, listened to the studio version of "Rise", then surfed on over to YT to watch a soaring live rendition of that track. A quick search here revealed only a couple of recent threads on our "What's On, What's New" Forum, wherein I learned that Geez is a fan , and we share an affinity for female-fronted bands. Obviously 3rDegree are fans, but I had never heard of HP4 previously. Since the band is Canadian, surprised no one up in Montreal ever turned me onto them (Sam at Melodisc, I'm talking to you; my friends at FreesonRock as well). My ignorance raises another issue about the lack of prominence of the non-Main Board threads...I would never have discovered this outfit there, so felt they deserve the "exposure" of the Main Board. And of course I come seeking recommendations from the previously enlightened, as while their discography is not deep, I try to start with whatever folks consider essential.

Rick

all of it... nothing with HP4 is unessential.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Very good band, but they are playing in a traditional Prog-Rock style. That is somewhat out-of-fashion on PE, especially for new/current bands.

I have the debut, Rabbit In The Vestibule. I love it. There is a second one Good Things but it got away from me 'cause at 64 I am forgetting to buy music I want.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 11-18-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Both albums are strong, I think (the second, Good Things, perhaps slightly better to my ears). Love the vocal work too. Fun band, I'd recommend them!

Saw HP4 last night at the Hard Luck Bar in Toronto. Excellent show with great sound! I recorded it and listening to it now. I've promoted HP4 many times on PE and elsewhere. I discovered them in 2007 and still love their music. As I said to Kyree last night..HP4 have not wrote a tune that I didn't like. They are a classic prog rock band that is really dedicated to the genre and like many bands, deserve a larger audience.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

How did you miss them you asked?

Easy...there is sooooo much music out there across all genres that even bands that get "highly recommended" get passed over as there just isn't enough time in the day to explore them all.

to make my point....I still have not heard a single note from District 97....I know, a band that is constantly praised here but I just haven't gotten around to them ......YET !
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Saw HP4 last night at the Hard Luck Bar in Toronto. Excellent show with great sound! I recorded it and listening to it now. I've promoted HP4 many times on PE and elsewhere. I discovered them in 2007 and still love their music. As I said to Kyree last night..HP4 have not wrote a tune that I didn't like. They are a classic prog rock band that is really dedicated to the genre and like many bands, deserve a larger audience.
    I'd love to hear that...do you upload to dime or other legit live torrent sites?

"Classic prog"..."traditional prog"...while seemingly oxymoronic terms describe the modern symph-based bands I adore. I am about to order Magenta's new live DVD/CD set. Do I limit my enthusiasm for this new release to the "What's New" subforum or extoll it's wonders (based on camples and free sampler) on the more prominent Main Board?

[QUOTE=rickawakeman;641187]I'd love to hear that...do you upload to dime or other legit live torrent sites?

no...I may offer them up on Dropbox or similar. I have many recordings, some good, some not so good. It is nice to be able to listen to a concert that you have just seen, that to me, is the greatest pleasure.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

[QUOTE=adap2it;641202]
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I'd love to hear that...do you upload to dime or other legit live torrent sites?

no...I may offer them up on Dropbox or similar. I have many recordings, some good, some not so good. It is nice to be able to listen to a concert that you have just seen, that to me, is the greatest pleasure.
    I don't record shows but routinely download shows I attended from dime. I have a bunch to catch up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Neudorf
    They are excellent. Still haven't heard the new one yet.

Jon

Banned
    Undoubtedly one of the most interesting current female-fronted bands who are playing that contemporary prog.

Last edited by Svetonio; 11-20-2016 at 02:30 AM.