Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance - A Song For All Seasons

I don't understand the griping about the cover. It's no worse than other Renaissance covers which are pretty bland.

AAB (by Hipgnosis)

SaOS (by Hipgnosis)

Novella

I bought "Prologue" without any knowledge of the band just because I liked the cover (by Hipggnosis) and it's the only one I actually like.
    However, it bears no relationship to the music on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The cover never bothered me as much as "She is love" ;-)
    I believe the woman on the cover is producer David Hentchel's wife.
    The album came with a large poster.
    To show how much attention I paid to that cover, I never realized it wasn't Annie on the cover! I believe the music still sounds the same today as yesterday
    even knowing this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Have to say that I pretty much fell off their wagon with the Sheherazade album, which is good but not nearly as great as the previous two. I could never really get into Novella or the one in question here.
    To me that's a little like falling off of the wagon after "The Yes Album" or "Fragile", as I feel tracks such as "Scheherazade", "Can You Hear Me?", "Touching Once", "Opening Out/Day of the Dreamer", "Northern Lights" (yes, even a short one) and "A Song For All Seasons" are their masterpieces. To each his own, of course.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I don't understand the griping about the cover. It's no worse than other Renaissance covers which are pretty bland.

AAB (by Hipgnosis)

SaOS (by Hipgnosis)

Novella

I like the Prologue, Scheherazade, and the upper of the two Novella covers. That bottom Novella cover is scary.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Really, who cares about covers? Song for All Seasons is probably my favorite, or second favorite behind Scheherazade, of the studio albums - I much prefer the live albums though.

Hipgnosis covers are notoriously poor for many prog acts..

Yes GFTO and Tormato
    Genesis ATTWT

I often wonder how much input the groups had in these covers.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Hipgnosis covers are notoriously poor for many prog acts..

Yes GFTO and Tormato
    Genesis ATTWT

I often wonder how much input the groups had in these covers.
    While I'm not crazy about the covers for GFTO or Tormato, I've always liked the cover of ATTWT. It's really moody, and makes me think of late summer or early autumn evenings around dusk specifically. I think it's a perfect fit for the music, even though I realize this probably puts me in the minority.

I came to this one late myself, but as others mention it is quite good.

I like this one they did for the Nice's Elegy.

I find Tormato cover pretty good.. Much better than GFTO.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I find Tormato cover pretty good.. Much better than GFTO.
    Faint praise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

always loved the title track - one of my all time favorite prog epics. and the album as a whole has a much harder edge to it with Dunford playing a lot of electric guitar. more of a rock album than the softer acoustic based stuff they were doing before.
    and come to think of it, ASFAS was only 1 of 2 albums they recorded with the classic lineup following Novella so i'd say Song was the best (the other being Azure). Camera Camera had its moments (title track, Okichi San) but after that, downhill all the way.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Really, who cares about covers?
    Indeed...I don't listen to the cover.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    While I'm not crazy about the covers for GFTO or Tormato, I've always liked the cover of ATTWT. It's really moody, and makes me think of late summer or early autumn evenings around dusk specifically. I think it's a perfect fit for the music, even though I realize this probably puts me in the minority.
    I think you're mistaking and then there were three with wind and wuthering.

While Song for all Seasons is definately not their best effort I always considered it as Renaissances last great record. Azure d'or was good but I never went crazy over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I'm not mistaking the ATTWT cover with anything else. The artwork makes me feel the way I described, and I probably can't explain why exactly.

W&W makes me think of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post

While Song for all Seasons is definately not their best effort I always considered it as Renaissances last great record. Azure d'or was good but I never went crazy over it.
    No, he's right, Wind and Wuthering has an autumnal or early winter feel about it. I've no idea what ATTWT is about. I have read that the band, or Hipgnosis, were disattisfied with the final result.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Halmyre; 11-19-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    No, he's right, Wind and Wuthering has an autumnal or early winter feel about it. I've no idea what ATTWT is about.
    Doesn't make him any more right (or wrong) than I, as far as feelings the artwork evokes. Especially considering what I said was that it reminds me of "late summer or early autumn evenings around dusk specifically."

Sheesh.

It's the way the sky looks, sunset with clouds, against the black background of the landscape. That is what early autumn looks like where I live.

I don't remember A Song For All Seasons, yet I have the CD. Asure D'Or is good, but not my fave. I always ranked as most impressive two albums of theirs - Ashes Are Burning and Novella.

Dig the album. Dig the cover.

Btw, ATTWT has a fantastic cover, IMO. That sky is positively haunting.

Albums covers are part of the gesamtkunstwerk.

Always thought this was overall one of their finer releases. Yes, 'She Is Love' is poor, (imo) but most of the rest is anywhere from nice to really good. While not being the best song on the album, I always viewed 'Back Home Once Again' as an improved version of 'Carpet of the Sun', the latter never being one of my favorites, maybe I'm missing something? But, like others have said, the first two and last two are outstanding. And what's wrong with the cover? I always thought it conveyed a very nice mood.

Strong album, on par with Novella IMO. Even Azure d'Or has its moments.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    'Carpet of the Sun' never being one of my favorites, maybe I'm missing something?
    Beauty?