Thread: Martin Stone, RIP

Martin Stone, RIP

The wonderful guitar player that played alongside Kim Simmonds in the first Savoy Brown album, and later was part of the wonderful Mighty Baby and several other bands in the Seventies, died last week. He had a very amusing life, from what I've read: there's an old Ptolemaic Terrascope interview online (from 1995) where he recounts leaving the music scene in the early Seventies after converting to Islam and going on a religious escapade abour a donkey to Timbuktu... "God, I hated that donkey!", he related. Afterwards, although he never abandoned music -there are recent videos of him in a club accompaning former Savoy Brown vocalist Chris Youlden- he became knowns as one of the best and most celebrated "book runners" in England.
    Here's a link...
    https://greatwen.com/2016/11/10/rip-martin-sstone.jpgone-guitarist-bookseller-hustler/

^ ^ ^

There are recent videos of Chris Youlden??

I was a big fan of Chris'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Stone backing Youlden, from 2011

Egyptian Tomb, otherwise known as the s/t Mighty Baby record, is IMO a stone cold UK underground rock classic. When recorded in 1968 (only released a year afterwards), they and the very early Man were practically the only two bands in Britain following the path of US Westcoast psychedelia. Very, very few outside of the US Westcoast did anything even half as great as that MBaby debut. The followup, Jug of Love, is far more rootsy (and indicative of the ensuing pubrock scene), but still a solid singer-songwriter's album.

Stone was a fine guitarist, and those tunes still stay with me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

A great and extremely tasteful player that should have made it big. Sadly, this hadn't been the case.

RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Never heard of him. I have early SB albums, but not the first. Sorry to hear this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that before joining Savoy Brown he was in Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers with Philip Charles Lithman (Snakefinger of Residents fame). They reformed the band at the demise of Mighty Baby and went-off to record two albums under than name during the period 1970-1974; the first one being a duo affair.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^I'd completely forgotten about his coop with Snake, Spyros - so thx for the heads up.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM