Thread: Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer! What now?

Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer! What now?

So - a household discussion led me to pull out and listen to 10cc's 'The Original Soundtrack', which led to oblique comparisons to Queen and City Boy, which made me think - "Hey - y'know what else kind of goes into that category..." and so I've been listening to 'Royal Bed Bouncer' this evening. What a bizarre mix of pop and sorta prog and sorta theatre and - well- who knows what else?

So - for anyone who knows this album, do you dig it along with the later stuff (Starlight Dancer, Periscope Life) or earlier stuff (See See the Sun), and how did you arrive here? It's a pretty unique album in its way. I mean, if you love it, how did you get there, and also, where do you go next? (ie, "Oh - you love 'Royal Bed Bouncer'? Then you should check out - [WHAT?]")

So far, current most agreed-upon comparisons include 10cc, City Boy and Supertramp, but - what do you think?

I was never the biggest of fans. But the first two Kayaks are as solid as RRB, as far as I'm concerned. The mixture of pure pop and "symph" rock works well here. They went pretty downhill with Starlight Dancer to my ears.

There was another Dutch/Belgian band called Flyte who released a sole album (in 1978, IIRC) which sounds exactly like the one missing link in the Kayak lineage. Very nice overall, and way more interesting than the far more famous Machiavel.

If you're generally into "clever poppy prog", you can not go wrong with Split Enz' Mental Notes or Dizrhythmia from '76/77. Some of the finest attempts within that camp altogether.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Burble View Post
    So - a household discussion led me to pull out and listen to 10cc's 'The Original Soundtrack', which led to oblique comparisons to Queen and City Boy, which made me think - "Hey - y'know what else kind of goes into that category..." and so I've been listening to 'Royal Bed Bouncer' this evening. What a bizarre mix of pop and sorta prog and sorta theatre and - well- who knows what else?

So - for anyone who knows this album, do you dig it along with the later stuff (Starlight Dancer, Periscope Life) or earlier stuff (See See the Sun), and how did you arrive here? It's a pretty unique album in its way. I mean, if you love it, how did you get there, and also, where do you go next? (ie, "Oh - you love 'Royal Bed Bouncer'? Then you should check out - [WHAT?]")

So far, current most agreed-upon comparisons include 10cc, City Boy and Supertramp, but - what do you think?
    The only other solid Kayak album in the same vein is the original European release of "The Last Encore." The previous album "S/T" is somewhat similar but is weighed down by the truly lame "Trust in the Machine" and the overlong "They Get To Know Me."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You'd probably like Ambrosia's first, eponymous album and the band Aviary.

I never actually had this album, but I remember this track was played repeatedly on Radio Caroline in the 70's. I used to like the track, but never enough to explore the rest of their catalogue.

I used to have this on vinyl WAY back in the day. (If I recall, it was a very sought-after "rarity" at the time) I remember being somewhat let down after finally hearing it in its entirety. Album is long gone now. Can't recall a single lyric/note/riff at all now.
    G.A.S -aholic

I think I have everything Kayak ever made, though the Kayak spin-off Europe I only have on a cassette-tape.

The first 2 albums are very interesting I think.

The first two Kayak albums (See See the Sun and Kayak) are pretty similar. I've always thought the follow-up The Last Encore was a bit of a dud- similar to Royal Bed Bouncer, but just not as good. I like most of the rest of the 1970's/1980's Kayak albums, and I think Starlight Dancer and Phantom of the Night are genuinely great albums, almost as good as the first three, but as time went on, they got more polished and less quirky (not necessarily less complex though), which puts of a lot of proggers. What I've heard from their recent output didn't pull me in.

As for similar artists, I'd recommend the Pazop album (Psychillis of a Lunatic Genius), Supersister's first 2 or 3 albums, various Earth and Fire songs (perhaps "Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight" is the most Kayak-ish), and Acqua Fragile's Mass Media Stars.

My two favorite tracks from Kayak.

" The previous album "S/T" is somewhat similar but is weighed down by the truly lame "Trust in the Machine" and the overlong "They Get To Know Me."

I love the first five albums. A lot.

The US release of Starlight Dancer is actually my favorite from them. Kind of a Greatest Hits LP. Sort of.
    The Prog Corner

where do you go next? (ie, "Oh - you love 'Royal Bed Bouncer'? Then you should check out - [WHAT?]")
    Might try Sparks: Kimono My House

Maybe try Pavlov's Dog: At The Sound Of The Bell (with Bill Bruford and Andy MacKay)

I have all the Kayak releases and if you ever get the chance...check out the original Merlin. I believe it was recorded in '75?? One of their most beautiful songs was titled "Phantom Of The Night" which immediately struck me because it was reminiscent of Procol Harum to the point where I could hear Gary Brooker singing it. However it's still a well crafted song deserving of creditability to its own originality. I have a tendency to personalize this song because I lost a good friend at sea. The song has overall depth and I like some of Kayak's writing. To be honest, one must appreciate crafty Pop song writing or they will be surfing through the later stuff and only enjoying the songs that sound more Progressive. Because when Kayak get progressive they tend to go all the way regarding all details evident in their music and their choice to use mellotron playing over a marching beat like Michael Giles...and so you see that is an act of extremism and they produce two opposite worlds. So yes....people disliking Pop would skip over those tracks to hear the progressive ones. Additionally Kayak were well rehearsed and I appreciated their playing abilities.

Definitely go for those first two Kayak albums. I think they’re fantastic. The pop thread has been there since the start, but the first two are more “progressive.” The Last Encore kind of gets overlooked in comparison to RBB but I like it a lot. Perhaps less consistent, but there’s lots of favorite tunes here (“Back to the Front,” “Love of a Victim,” “Land on the Water,” “Still My Heart Cries for You,” “Relics From a Distant Age,” “Do You Care”). The next 3 are available on Phonogram’s 3 Originals collection plus bonus tracks. Starlight Dancer is clearly the best of these, the title track is a classic and one of Kayak’s best songs (on the other hand it contains their woeful stab at disco, “Want You to Be Mine,” which was also the closest they had to a hit in the USA). It’s sort of a trilogy with the previous two, in spite of the new rhythm section (who only lasted the one album). I don’t think it’s as good, but the high points (especially “Dead Bird Flies Forever” and that glorious, previously mentioned title song) are fine indeed.

Periscope Life is probably the weakest from Phase 1 of the band but I personally find Phantom of the Night to be underrated. “Daphne (Laurel Tree)” and the title song are just exquisite. And I have a fondness for many of the other tunes, poppy though they may be. Edward Reekers certainly has a lovely voice. Lastly, there’s the original Merlin. The B-side is a bit patchy, but the A-side is perfection, and the most “progressive” thing the band gave us since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I have all the Kayak releases and if you ever get the chance...check out the original Merlin. I believe it was recorded in '75?? One of their most beautiful songs was titled "Phantom Of The Night" which immediately struck me because it was reminiscent of Procol Harum to the point where I could hear Gary Brooker singing it. However it's still a well crafted song deserving of creditability to its own originality.
    I never thought of the Procol Harum connection, but you’re not wrong. I could see that song as soul-kin to “A Salty Dog.”

Oh, and the original Merlin was recorded in 1981.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Definitely go for those first two Kayak albums. I think they’re fantastic. The pop thread has been there since the start, but the first two are more “progressive.” The Last Encore kind of gets overlooked in comparison to RBB but I like it a lot. Perhaps less consistent, but there’s lots of favorite tunes here (“Back to the Front,” “Love of a Victim,” “Land on the Water,” “Still My Heart Cries for You,” “Relics From a Distant Age,” “Do You Care”). The next 3 are available on Phonogram’s 3 Originals collection plus bonus tracks. Starlight Dancer is clearly the best of these, the title track is a classic and one of Kayak’s best songs (on the other hand it contains their woeful stab at disco, “Want You to Be Mine,” which was also the closest they had to a hit in the USA). It’s sort of a trilogy with the previous two, in spite of the new rhythm section (who only lasted the one album). I don’t think it’s as good, but the high points (especially “Dead Bird Flies Forever” and that glorious, previously mentioned title song) are fine indeed.

Periscope Life is probably the weakest from Phase 1 of the band but I personally find Phantom of the Night to be underrated. “Daphne (Laurel Tree)” and the title song are just exquisite. And I have a fondness for many of the other tunes, poppy though they may be. Edward Reekers certainly has a lovely voice. Lastly, there’s the original Merlin. The B-side is a bit patchy, but the A-side is perfection, and the most “progressive” thing the band gave us since 1975.

I never thought of the Procol Harum connection, but you’re not wrong. I could see that song as soul-kin to “A Salty Dog.”

Oh, and the original Merlin was recorded in 1981.
    Yes....1981! Now I remember! I love that cd. It was imported from Holland...bought it in 2001. Also those particular tracks you mentioned from The Last Encore are great! Thanks for your post. You always have fantastic insight on Progressive music. Sometimes you're not on P.E. and I miss out on your recommendations. Always a pleasure to read your posts. You have a lot of knowledge on the subject. I have bought many CDs on your recommendation.

↑Jeez, stop with the ego-inflation! Do you want me to look like William Howard Taft?

If you like that Euro-pop-prog sound Kayak did, you may also like the Scaramouche album, John Miles’ early output (especially Zaragon) and Stefan Zauner’s first two solo records (Narziss and Prism & Views). None of them sounds quite like Kayak, though.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The first 5 or so Kayak albums have a similar sound. The later ones with Reekers don't deviate from that formula much though they do have some more commercial elements.

As someone stated above, Ambrosia's first two albums and the Aviary album are real good. If you don't have them Supertramp's 70s albums are in the same category.

I love Kayak. See See The Sun(Mammoth),Kayak,Royal Bed Bouncer(Chance For A Lifetime),Phantom Of The Night(No Man's Land),Periscope Life,(Astral Alien) They went away kinda until 1981 and then did Merlin and Close To The Fire. Then came back after a long period of nothing with a rock opera,Nostradamas which I love. Then they did another double album,Letters From Utopia,which I haven't heard yet and they also have several dvds mostly PAL,so you need a player that can read that. Their keyboard player,Ton Scherpenzeel is excellent and can also be heard in Camel-Stationary Traveller,Pressure Points-Live and the incredible Rajaz. Where do you go after RRB? See See The Sun,Kayak,Phantom Of The Night.