Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Styx On Palladia Tonight

Grand Illusion is the better studio album, but I dare say Po8 came off better live. I didn't really care for the production on that one, and on this special they really bring it up a couple notches.

But if I never hear Blue Collar Man and Renegade again I could die happy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Po8 just seems to be a lot less proggy to me. Same with Cornerstone - the only song I know on that really is Boat on the River, which I love.

Can someone post a list of the proggiest songs on Po8 and Cornerstone? I'll check them out.

I really like Paradise Theater, BTW, because I played it to death in college.

I always thought that The Grand Illusion was the beginning of their downfall. Yeah, there are some great pop songs, but Deyoung's keyboard sounds so damned wimpy.

I'll take "Equinox" over any of them in a heartbeat.

I dug out 'Cornerstone' yesterday, this one I picked up cheaply second-hand somewhere along the way...and wow, I'd forgotten what a downfall from the previous album this is. It seems far too lightweight for what had really been a rock band beforehand, and I personally find Dennis DeYoung's vocals at their least pleasing on some of this album.

Now, 'The Grand Illusion', I rate highly. I got back into that album a few years ago, they achieved a perfect balance between pop/rock with some proggy touches on this, and something like 'Castle Walls' is a prog track for sure IMHO. 'Pieces Of Eight' largely kept that momentum going, a few songs on it are quite twee, but also it had some of their heavier songs to make up for it.

I'd agree on 'Equinox' also being great, I remember being amazed by 'Suite Madame Blue' when I first heard it- at that point I was only aware of the Barry Manilow-esque ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I always thought that The Grand Illusion was the beginning of their downfall. Yeah, there are some great pop songs, but Deyoung's keyboard sounds so damned wimpy.

I'll take "Equinox" over any of them in a heartbeat.
    "Equinox" is also a great album as is "Crystal Ball". To me, these two along with "Grand Illusion" were the band at their pinnicle. Of the albums that came after I thought "Paradise Theater" was good for the most part and "Cyclorama" was a nice return to form.

Steve Sly

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Po8 just seems to be a lot less proggy to me. Same with Cornerstone - the only song I know on that really is Boat on the River, which I love.

Can someone post a list of the proggiest songs on Po8 and Cornerstone? I'll check them out.

I really like Paradise Theater, BTW, because I played it to death in college.
    Cornerstone doesn't really have any Proggy stuff as I recall. I had it back in the day but never replaced the vinyl since it was a big disappointment of an album.

On Pieces of Eight, DeYoung does his dramatic hard rock thing for just about the last time on the excellent "Queen of Spades." And the title track is terrific Pomp rock...followed by the great chill-out track "Aku-Aku" which is kind of an out-of-nowhere track for them.

But the proggiest stuff is on Styx II ("Little Fugue/Father O.S.A," "A Day") Equinox ("Suite Madame Blue") and Crystal Ball ("Claire de Lune/Ballerina" and the title track) plus of course the mighty "Castle Walls" on The Grand Illusion.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    But the proggiest stuff is on Styx II ("Little Fugue/Father O.S.A," "A Day") Equinox ("Suite Madame Blue") and Crystal Ball ("Claire de Lune/Ballerina" and the title track) plus of course the mighty "Castle Walls" on The Grand Illusion.
    I would also add "One With Everything" and maybe "These Are The Times" from "Cyclorama". Modern Styx at their best IMO.

Steve Sly

"Light Up" (Equinox #1 for me as well) has an intro that imo Europe's "The Final Countdown" doesn't come near.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Gentle Giant/Spock's Beard/Advent vocals on "Lorelei".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman