Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Styx On Palladia Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If there's one thing to be said for Styx, whether you love them or detest them: no one can ever say they don't bring it live.

They bring it. Every night, every tour, year after year after year, decade after decade after decade.
    Damn straight- like KISS, they leave you feeling like you got every dollar's-worth. Well, if I paid like $50. Totally. $75, maybe not really. But if I saw that show for $25 I'd feel like I owed them money. $65... I'd have to think on it.

No NEW MUSIC in 10 years. Same as Kansas,except they have gone 13. At least Yes writes new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    At least Yes writes new stuff.
    Like "Fly from Here"?

I think any band is perfectly entitled to rest on their laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If there's one thing to be said for Styx, whether you love them or detest them: no one can ever say they don't bring it live.

They bring it. Every night, every tour, year after year after year, decade after decade after decade.
    Absoloutely, positively QFT. You get 100% from them, like it or not.

Have loved them since back in the day and it was rather stunning to these ears that Tommy sings as well as he still does. They are the comsumate professionals, if not a bit heavy on the Velveeta factor but they've been like that since back in the day and their fans IMHO have come to expect it. Of course, YMMV...

Peace,
    Alex

No NEW MUSIC in 10 years. Same as Kansas,except they have gone 13. At least Yes writes new stuff.
    Rand, you are on point and entitled to your opinion. I'm a fan of both bands as well as Yes and IMHO, if either band is going to release stuff like FFH then I rather not hear it and gladly wish that they would rest on their laurels as none of the aforementioned bands owe anything to anyone based on their already prolific carreers, which most bands would have gladly sold their souls to the devil for. But, once again, everyone is entitled to their opinions/feelings and YMMV. That being said, if they were able to muster up material that rivals their best stuff from the 70'-80's then of course I'd welcome it in a New York Minute. But I believe that bird has already Flown From Here to parts unknown... .

Peace,
    Alex

Banned
    the did do a covers album back on 06 or 07.

Watched this yesterday, very enjoyable. They really are pros live and have embraced the nostalgia aspect wholeheartedly. You can tell they really work at their set to the point where I think even the spontaneous moments are the same each night. Like others have said Gowen drives me crazy with his stage presence - especially when he plays the keyboard behind his back. ugh, just horrible. With DeYoung this would have been a classic show but as it is I would certainly say check it out!

Banned
    Gowen is a great performance and helps bring the show up a notch. He's been in the band for like 15 years and previously worked with guys like Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta.

True unfortunately. Personally I thought "Cyclorama" was a very good album, but it did not sell at all. I think the band has just decided that it is not worth the effort since their new music was pretty much ignored.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Like "Fly from Here"?

I really like "Fly From Here". Differnt strokes I guess.......

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    True unfortunately. Personally I thought "Cyclorama" was a very good album, but it did not sell at all. I think the band has just decided that it is not worth the effort since their new music was pretty much ignored.

Steve Sly
    i agree. "Cyclorama" was a very good album and flowed very well too, not just a collection of random tunes, the album played very well start to finish and the very last bit with Tenacious Dudes showing up at Tommy Shaws house is freaking hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    Gowen is a great performance and helps bring the show up a notch. He's been in the band for like 15 years and previously worked with guys like Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta.
    He's also worked with Jon Anderson and Alex Lifeson. I think he's a great fit for Styx.

I missed the show on Palladia, but they're showing it again this Tuesday night at 10pm Eastern time.

With 80's...and Steve Sly, I too, agree that Cyclorama was a very good album with a standout tune, One With Everything, that IMO would have fit in nicely onto any of the band's albums back in the day. And I will say that Kansas' last album, 2000's Somewhere to Elsewhere was an even better album than Cyclorama and if it is their swan song, which I would rate the percentage as 99, then both bands did pretty good with their respective swan songs. Hey, all good things must come to an end....

But live both bands can still bring it, each in their own respective ways...

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    With 80's...and Steve Sly, I too, agree that Cyclorama was a very good album with a standout tune, One With Everything, that IMO would have fit in nicely onto any of the band's albums back in the day. And I will say that Kansas' last album, 2000's Somewhere to Elsewhere was an even better album than Cyclorama and if it is their swan song, which I would rate the percentage as 99, then both bands did pretty good with their respective swan songs. Hey, all good things must come to an end....

But live both bands can still bring it, each in their own respective ways...

Peace,
    Alex
    I am also a big fan of "Somewhere To Elsewhere". Both are very good albums IMO.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Another thanks for the alert! I DVRd it last night and plan to watch tomorrow... that show came to town and I missed it.
    You missed an incredible show! front row at the Tivoli! Grand illusion is one of my desert island discs.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Like "Fly from Here"?

And for the most part, in this case, YES should have. Styx and Kansas still put on incredibly tight shows, and more true to form for them than YES(at least with Benoit) IMO. Things do seem to be looking up with the new Jon though.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    And for the most part, in this case, YES should have. Styx and Kansas still put on incredibly tight shows, and more true to form for them than YES(at least with Benoit) IMO. Things do seem to be looking up with the new Jon though.
    Of course they have every right to rest on their laurels Ron. But Fly From Here isn't the end of Yes. They are currently hyping the fact that they are writing/recording a new album with Jon Davison in about 5 interviews in the last 3 weeks. I was just stating facts. I would much rather go see a band that is supporting new material(not that Yes has always done this between 1996 and 2004) even if it's only a few songs than seeing bands like Kansas and Styx and The Moody Blues,who are just repeating the same shows tour after tour. This year,Yes has thrown everything I just said out the window by performing Going For The One,Close To The Edge and The Yes Album in that order (according to Alan White recently), that's exciting because I love all 3 albums and A Venture has never been played live which is even more of a reason to see them this Spring. But, they have also said that "this new album will be supported on the next tour quite a lot if not the entire thing." I must seem like a total hypocrite here and if you want to think that go ahead. Styx playing The Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight I thought was a great idea and I wonder if the blu-ray/dvd actually has more tracks than were shown on Palladia? I still love all 4 bands I mentioned here,but touring funds are becoming harder to come up with and some bands I just can't see except for video.

Rand, you're entitled to your opinion, but it looks like you're just trying to start or re-kindle a fight you've had in the past. What does stating Styx not recording new material for a decade have to do with a concert tour in which they specifically promoted two classic albums - or this thread for that matter?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Of course they have every right to rest on their laurels Ron. But Fly From Here isn't the end of Yes.
    Actually, I was making two separate statements and not implying that it was the end of new Yes material. My point was that any band can do what they want. If they want to do new material, who am I to get in their way? Also, if they choose to recycle the same old same old, like the Moodies, hell they can do that. too. It would be nice to see the Moodies do the entire album thing.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    And Alex Lifeson.
    Chad

For those of you who don't own an HDTV, it's on VH1 Classic tonight, 9:00pm Eastern time.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Saw this tour a couple years ago and it was fantastic. Say what you will, but being in the crowd for this made for a much better experience. Man in the Wilderness and Castle Walls were killer. The flow of those 2 albums together was wonderful.

Gowan's "Lost Brotherhood" is a great disc. Has Marotta, Levin and Lifeson and some exceptional songwriting. I've not found his other material nearly as good.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

the same concert is on VH1 Classic right now. they definitely bring it in concert but sorry, still not a big fan.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I watched the parts I wanted to watch last night, and it was pretty enjoyable - I had fun watching it with my kids and telling them the story of how after the Styx show at the Beacon Theater circa 1994 or so, I and the drummer from Red Jasper chased down Tommy Shaw as he escaped through Central Park in his limo - but that's another story!

I actually just watched the hits from Grand Illusion - I was never too familiar with Pieces of Eight, and was under the impression there's not much good on that album. Is it any good? In all truth, I only like a handful or two of Styx songs, but those I do like are AOR classics that have stood up to infinite listenings on the radio, so kudos to them.

Had no idea that was Gowan with them, I was wondering who it was - he did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually just watched the hits from Grand Illusion - I was never too familiar with Pieces of Eight, and was under the impression there's not much good on that album. Is it any good? In all truth, I only like a handful or two of Styx songs, but those I do like are AOR classics that have stood up to infinite listenings on the radio, so kudos to them.

Had no idea that was Gowan with them, I was wondering who it was - he did a decent job.
    Personally I think "Grand Illusion" is the much better album, although "Pieces Of Eight" is a decent effort. Gowan has been a member of Styx for 14 years now.

Steve Sly