Thread: Going to see Renaissance tonight !

(Going to see Renaissance tonight!) Saw them last night... (Spoilers)

I've been a big fan for over 30 years... and this will be the first time I've seen them. I'll be missing John Tout and Michael Dunford tonight, though I know the current guys are all pros. I even played on the stage that they are playing on a couple of years ago, so that's fun too (The Kent Stage, Kent, Ohio). That little factoid would have blown my 19 year old mind back in the day!

So thanks in advance Annie Haslam for keeping the flame going long enough for me to see this happen. Such a special body of work, with a fantastic tradition of craft and excellence. Viva La Renaissance! Psyched
    Last edited by ProgMusician; 11-12-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    I've been a big fan for over 30 years... and this will be the first time I've seen them. I'll be missing John Tout and Michael Dunford tonight, though I know the current guys are all pros. I even played on the stage that they are playing on a couple of years ago, so that's fun too (The Kent Stage, Kent, Ohio). That little factoid would have blown my 19 year old mind back in the day!

So thanks in advance Annie Haslam for keeping the flame going long enough for me to see this happen. Such a special body of work, with a fantastic tradition of craft and excellence. Viva La Renaissance! Psyched
    Awesome! Have fun, and let us know how the gig was.

Is Jason Hart still playing keyboards with them? His solo album Speak (released as "i and thou") was really wonderful.

No, he's not.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I hope you have a terrific evening. Enjoy!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I missed them in the '70s so was pleased to see the modern iteration with Dunford twice before his passing. Brislin on keys?

I will likely write more... but wanted to get this posted. The song list that they played (in order):

Prologue
    Carpet of the Sun
    Grandine il Vento
    Symphony of Light
    Sounds of the Sea (dedicated to the memory of John Tout)
    The Mystic and the Muse
    Mother Russia
    A Song for All Seasons
    Ashes Are Burning (encore)

Surprising for me was that the three new-ish songs were the best of the bunch. The studio versions don't represent the power of these three pieces when performed live. Very dynamic and dramatic! Annie obviously has great enthusiasm for them and it showed greatly in her vocal performance (she even joked a couple of times that she would like to play them again). And that is the thing that left an impression on me... she has overcome the loss of friends, health issues, the trials of aging.. and is absolutely flourishing as an artist at 69. Her paintings were on sale in the lobby (really good stuff). Part of the clothes she had on, and one of the guitars also displayed her painting work. The band was also inspiring. Rave was the one afterwards that talked to people. Very nice guy. The musicians were all quite introverted in their stage presence, while projecting an air of top-notch musicianship. The effect was that this show was really all *about the music*... and the guys all seemed to have a real fondness for what they were playing (Annie brought a certain amount of humor to the mix as well). Very enjoyable evening!
    Last edited by ProgMusician; 11-12-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Song For All Seasons! that's a treat.

Saw them last night in Chicago (St Charles). Really good show! I admit I went with trepidation as I'm a Renaissance loyalist, and also feel Annie's voice has thinned out and become a bit shrill. But, it was my birthday so I figured would be a good way to celebrate. Well, I'm very glad I went because her voice didn't bother me at all and was better sounding than when I saw her last 6 years ago. That's not say she was her old self, she did start struggling towards the end of the set, was often covered or carried by the bass player, and they re-wrote the ending to "Ashes Are Burning" so she didn't have to hit THAT note.

The set list was OK. Very much leaned on new material, maybe a 1/2 hour of the show, and they skipped over many of my favs that I would want to hear. I was really disappointed they said their first goodbye after 70 minutes (then Ashes for encore). I was just starting to really get into the show. I was hoping for 2 hours. I think they covered the new material really well though, with more energy than what is on the CD. Mother Russia was my favorite song of the night, the only one I felt a standing O was warranted. Overall the band was decent. Rave was more energetic than usual, and they didn't sound so "clinical" as they do on the DVDs. Brislin always a great utility man. Jon Camp is really missed, and waiting to return unfortunately. The new bass player doesn't really cover him well and give the music its needed low end.

But in these later days I will take what I can get. Like ARW and Kansas, these are the last stops from the old guard. Take it in while you still can.

Surprisingly, my wife really LOVED the show, as she didn't know a single song. And that's usually a red flag. But, she was really impressed by Annie. So, there you go.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 11-13-2016 at 03:10 PM.

I will likely write more... but wanted to get this posted. The song list that they played (in order):
    I saw them last year and the setlist was the same. Truly amazing how Annie can nail "Sounds of the Sea" which has got to be one of the most challenging things she ever had to sing.

^^^^ >>>The new bass player doesn't really cover him well and give the music its needed low end.<<<^^^^

i totally agree, the previous bass player (David Keys?) was really good, but this bass player is totally wrong for the music. he just does his own thing and doesn't even try to capture his predecessors' sound, style and spirit... Renaissance is a 'bass as lead' band and this bass player was too low.

Prologue
    Carpet of the Sun
    Grandine il Vento
    Symphony of Light
    The Mystic and the Muse
    Mother Russia
    A Song for All Seasons

Surprising for me was that the three new-ish songs were the best of the bunch. The studio versions don't represent the power of these three pieces when performed live. Very dynamic and dramatic! Annie obviously has great enthusiasm for them and it showed greatly in her vocal performance (she even joked a couple of times that she would like to play them again). And that is the thing that left an impression on me... she has overcome the loss of friends, health issues, the trials of aging.. and is absolutely flourishing as an artist at 69. Her paintings were on sale in the lobby (really good stuff). Part of the clothes she had on, and one of the guitars also displayed her painting work. The band was also inspiring. Rave was the one afterwards that talked to people. Very nice guy. The musicians were all quite introverted in their stage presence, while projecting an air of top-notch musicianship. The effect was that this show was really all *about the music*... and the guys all seemed to have a real fondness for what they were playing (Annie brought a certain amount of humor to the mix as well). Very enjoyable evening!
    In addition, they performed "Closer Now Than Yesterday" as the 3rd song of their show in Bethlehem, PA. Did you miss this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Jon Camp really missed, and waiting to return unfortunately
    Are you saying that Jon Camp wants his old job back? This is news to me... how do you know this?

I don't know why I think this,... but I have suspected for some time that Jon Camp and Annie H. weren't really cut out for each other in terms of personality. If this is true I think Annie feels at this age she is free to be her self and totally legitimate in her own right, and would not really be in favor of the power struggle that having Camp back in the band might invite. That's just theory,... but she has earned control of her own ship by simply keeping the candle lit all of these years.

I think A Song for All Seasons (one of my top 3 favorite songs ever) is an example of a tune that benefits from Camp's aggressive playing style. So he's missed on that front. But'chya know... even if he came back he might not even play that way anymore (might even choose a different bass brand over a Rickenbacher - which was a 70s staple). Most musicians change over time in their various approaches. What I'm saying is this. From a nostalgic point of view J Camp might be missed,.. but if you heard the three new songs live with the current line up, just wow,.. I mean I was *really* impressed. If all of these people could magically be in their 20s and pick up from where they are, and what they are doing now... it would be mind blowing.

Addendum: While A Song For All Seasons was an unexpected joy to hear from a musical stand point,.. Annie didn't sing it well (the worst selection of the night in that sense - I was trying to tune that out and just enjoy the band playing it). It seemed to me that she is in the habit of conserving her strengths for the new material... I mean it was literally like she wasn't even trying on ASFAS... like some notes a pitch or two, or three flat... not from missing them, but from just kind of resting up. Again,... conjecture. But I have played/sang over 1000 gigs myself,.. and with lesser songs I didn't try as hard... with somewhat the same result. I think she is all about the *now*... and the now is really realy great. It's a shame she and they can't live there all of the time. It would be amazing.
    Last edited by ProgMusician; 11-13-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBud View Post
    In addition, they performed "Closer Now Than Yesterday" as the 3rd song of their show in Bethlehem, PA. Did you miss this one?
    No, they didn't play it. I would have really liked that... you're lucky!

Are you saying that Jon Camp wants his old job back? This is news to me... how do you know this?
    Both Jon Camp and Terrence Sullivan have been pretty vocal about it on Facebook over the years. Jon in particular mocks the band calling it "The All-American Renaissance Cover Band", referring to the original band being an English outfit. About 2 years ago the two of them were trying to put together another Renaissance band and were advertising for a singer. But it never came to pass. By coincidence, Jon Camp said Happy Birthday to me on Facebook yesterday, and we had a laugh over the fact I was going to see his "Fauxband" (my term) that night. He told me to hum the bass lines in my head because they won't be played.

I don't know why I think this,... but I have suspected for some time that Jon Camp and Annie H. weren't really cut out for each other in terms of personality. If this is true I think Annie feels at this age she is free to be her self and totally legitimate in her own right, and would not really be in favor of the power struggle that having Camp back in the band might invite. That's just theory,... but she has earned control of her own ship by simply keeping the candle lit all of these years.
    They did have a falling out back in the 80's which was Jon's fault. But I know they spoke when Michele Dunford passed away. Speaking of Dunford, really he held the title to the band and carried it forward with the new line-up. I'm not sure Annie could have kept pushing forward without that very last album featuring the new lineup, before his passing. Well, she could have, but without Dunford it gives her a little more legitimacy. And having Brislin is an added attraction.

While A Song For All Seasons was an unexpected joy to hear from a musical stand point,.. Annie didn't sing it well (the worst selection of the night in that sense - I was trying to tune that out and just enjoy the band playing it). It seemed to me that she is in the habit of conserving her strengths for the new material.
    Agree. The new material sounded the best, and SFAS was pretty much a miss. Mother Russia sounded pretty good. Well, you know I'll take what I can get at this point... it wasn't REALLY Renaissance, and it hasn't been, but whatever. Annie put on a decent show, it was good to hear her again.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 11-13-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Speaking of Dunford, really he held the title to the band and carried it forward with the new line-up. I'm not sure Annie could have kept pushing forward without that very last album featuring the new lineup, before his passing. Well, she could have, but without Dunford it gives her a little more legitimacy. And having Brislin is an added attraction.
    I wondered how that worked. That makes complete sense, because at one point Dunford released "The Other Woman" under the name of Renaissance... he would have had to own the brand to do that. Camp probably would have done something with it if he'd owned the name (although finding another Annie Haslam would probably be very difficult - perhaps an opera singer would be the best chance). By the way... I was surprised at how short she is. I'm 5'11" and I towered over her... was significantly more than a head taller. If one considers Jon Anderson's height and vocal range... maybe being short is key in some way. I'm going to start looking for short vocalists!

He told me to hum the bass lines in my head because they won't be played.
    Ouch! But funny...

Was there an opening band? Just curious because I saw a facebook post looking for an opener at the last minute.

This may be a dumb question, but why do they never tour any further west than Milwaukee? I know they are now based in the northeast, but is it as simple as they don't want to travel, it becomes exponentially more expensive to tour further west or can't get enough gigs to make it worth the effort? I'm sure it is a combo of all three, but they haven't reached LA, SF, Seattle since they have become a semi-active band. Does anyone have any non-speculative insight as to why?
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Was there an opening band? Just curious because I saw a facebook post looking for an opener at the last minute.
    Yes, Pavlov 3 was the opener. I thought they were inappropriate for the show, and loud, but the crowd generally seem to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Not at the show in Kent, Ohio. Just the main attraction

Prologue
    Carpet of the Sun
    Grandine il Vento
    Symphony of Light
    The Mystic and the Muse
    Mother Russia
    A Song for All Seasons

Surprising for me was that the three new-ish songs were the best of the bunch. The studio versions don't represent the power of these three pieces when performed live. Very dynamic and dramatic! Annie obviously has great enthusiasm for them and it showed greatly in her vocal performance (she even joked a couple of times that she would like to play them again). ...
    Wow, that is a surprise. I'm a very big Renaissance fan and I admit I haven't given the last album a chance. The one or two times I listened to it I felt like it was trying to be big and orchestral, but without the real orchestra it just came across as being very thin and lightweight.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

... but I have suspected for some time that Jon Camp and Annie H. weren't really cut out for each other in terms of personality.
    I thought the St. Charles show was good but I wasn't blown away, and now realizing they skipped Closer Now Than Yesterday makes me want to go smash something. Renaissance rage! I just wish Annie wouldn't constantly apologize for Camera Camera and Time-Line. Maybe just Time-Line, but Camera Camera is a great album. Sure, chasing another hit after Northern Lights took them off course, but isn't that "progressive"? The results to me sound like a unique sophisticated blend of prog and new wave. Maybe along the lines of Kate Bush? But, I guess her animosity towards these albums is an indicator of how likely a reunion with Jon Camp will be as he was the one mainly responsible for the detour/derailing.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    I thought the St. Charles show was good but I wasn't blown away, and now realizing they skipped Closer Now Than Yesterday makes me want to go smash something. Renaissance rage! I just wish Annie wouldn't constantly apologize for Camera Camera and Time-Line. Maybe just Time-Line, but Camera Camera is a great album. Sure, chasing another hit after Northern Lights took them off course, but isn't that "progressive"? The results to me sound like a unique sophisticated blend of prog and new wave. Maybe along the lines of Kate Bush? But, I guess her animosity towards these albums is an indicator of how likely a reunion with Jon Camp will be as he was the one mainly responsible for the detour/derailing.
    I wasn't aware of this,... but I think if she apologizes for those two albums then she sorta oughta apologize for the "Annie Haslam" album that followed. In spite of having some *names* involved (Larry Fast, Justin Hayward, ...and an engineer with a great track record- I don't remember his name)... well,.. I pulled this out again to give it another chance after just seeing her/them - same conclusion: Celestine is real good, the rest is lifeless and hollow. Some of the most boring quantized midi tracking I've ever heard. Epic records probably wanted to turn her into an Adult Contemporary diva just like Timeline and Camera Camera were an attempt to be relevant to the early 80s. Both were mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    But, I guess her animosity towards these albums is an indicator of how likely a reunion with Jon Camp will be as he was the one mainly responsible for the detour/derailing.
    Michael Dunford was at least as responsible, since he still wrote the majority of the music; Camp did share more of the writing on Time Line (probably doing lyrics, since Betty Thatcher was absent). And Dunford kept the same style on The Other Woman (I'd say it was more ABBA than Kate Bush). Like a lot of older prog bands they were in awe of Asia's success and wanted to see something like that happen for Renaissance.