Thread: While Listening To Live Topographic Oceans

While Listening To Live Topographic Oceans

The Detroit '74 show which I love because the people taping are shutting up rather than blathering about stuff.

I really think that fans of Yes should be given the gift of a good soundboard recording from this tour. My preference would be for it not to be "fixed" with overdubs but rather be presented as it was played -- bum notes by Wakeman and all. I like the audience boots but I would really love it produced and balanced as best as can be done from a decent source.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The Detroit '74 show which I love because the people taping are shutting up rather than blathering about stuff.

I really think that fans of Yes should be given the gift of a good soundboard recording from this tour. My preference would be for it not to be "fixed" with overdubs but rather be presented as it was played -- bum notes by Wakeman and all. I like the audience boots but I would really love it produced and balanced as best as can be done from a decent source.
    That show is my all-time favorite, and I have collected hundreds of Yesshows

Their most progressive moments IMO - Howe is off the charts, but the tape flip on The Remembering may be the most brutal flaw in a boot I can think of

Steve is on fire when it cuts back in and his solo is different from others in the tour

Still a fantastic show in reasonably good quality

I've given up on a soundboard surfacing long ago, you'd think it would have leaked by now if one existed

Always hope I guess

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    That show is my all-time favorite, and I have collected hundreds of Yesshows

Their most progressive moments IMO - Howe is off the charts, but the tape flip on The Remembering may be the most brutal flaw in a boot I can think of

Steve is on fire when it cuts back in and his solo is different from others in the tour

Still a fantastic show in reasonably good quality

I've given up on a soundboard surfacing long ago, you'd think it would have leaked by now if one existed

Always hope I guess

BG
    I have that one too. Not only a great TfTO but it also has the best live CttE I've ever heard.

Another fan here. I continue to give thanks to all those audience tapers over the decades who captured magic we otherwise would have missed had we relied on the original publishers.

John Boegehold
    Great boot, mistakes and all. I was at that Feb 28 show at Cobo Hall as well as the one the night before. As I remember, the show on the 27th started late because of a big snowstorm and the trucks had to come all the way from (I think) Boston the night before. The show was cut in half but we were treated to the band doing a live soundcheck, which included Rick playing in a parka.

According to the following link, all of the boots from that tour came from audience recordings. Based on their sound quality ratings, it appears that the best recordings, four out of five stars, were the ones from Boston NY and LA Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Based on their sound quality ratings, it appears that the best recordings, four out of five stars, were the ones from Boston NY and LA Forum.
    I have all of those and I disagree, Cobo is the best IMO, followed by NY

Boston is pretty close to NY quality wise as I recall but I liked the NY performance better

LA and Long Beach are both good sounding, but they'd dropped The Remembering by that point in the tour

Cobo, NY, and Boston Garden all have all 4 sides

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I have all of those and I disagree, Cobo is the best IMO, followed by NY

Boston is pretty close to NY quality wise as I recall but I liked the NY performance better

LA and Long Beach are both good sounding, but they'd dropped The Remembering by that point in the tour

Cobo, NY, and Boston Garden all have all 4 sides

BG
    I don't have any of the recordings to compare, but could it be possible that the version of the NY, Boston or LA show you have is a different one than the highest rated one on the link that I provided? The NY show show for example appears to have a handful of different versions varying from two stars to four stars in their sound quality ratings, while the sound quality ratings for the Cobo Hall are all rated three stars.

I don't have any of the recordings to compare, but could it be possible that the version of the NY, Boston or LA show you have is a different one than the highest rated one on the link that I provided? The NY show show for example appears to have a handful of different versions varying from two stars to four stars in their sound quality ratings, while the sound quality ratings for the Cobo Hall are all rated three stars.
    Anythings possible, but I was a pretty serious collector at one point and dug down to the lowest generation versions, (boot quality is pretty subjective anyway)

Maybe the link has the wrong versions

BG

My version of this show is Ocean Tales (PRRP 013), and yeah, it's a great show. Years ago I was a member of the Yes boot 'trading tree' and I got two DVD-Rs of Tales shows in .FLAC files, as well as lots of really nice artwork if one wanted to burn the shows to disc. Great collection:

11/27/73 Sheffield, UK
    12/06/73 Glasgow, UK
    02/08/74 Miami, FL
    02/09/74 Tampa, FL
    02/14/74 Uniondale, NY
    02/16/74 Philadelphia, PA
    02/18/74 MSG, NYC
    02/22/74 Toronto, ON
    02/26/74 Boston, MA
    02/28/74 Detroit, MI
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I was at the LA Forum show, but the only boot I have of live TFTO is from Madison Square Garden exactly one month earlier. But I got to see Yes in 1974, so I can't complain.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I have the Madison Square Garden and Cobo Hall shows and Cobo Hall is definitely better sound quality. I've always heard of that as being the best-sounding. The MSG show I have is on vinyl (The Affirmatives), and is a couple generations down the line, as evidenced by hiss.

Now, if you're seeing different ratings, well, that's always subjective. But there are some people out there doing great "remastering" of shows out there, so I guess they could be referring to those, as well.

Anythings possible, but I was a pretty serious collector at one point and dug down to the lowest generation versions, (boot quality is pretty subjective anyway)

Maybe the link has the wrong versions

BG
    FWIW, when I said different version I was referring to a different recording source. Nothing to do with a higher or lower generation.

The owner of the site is pretty consistent on his sound quality ratings.

According to the following link, all of the boots from that tour came from audience recordings. Based on their sound quality ratings, it appears that the best recordings, four out of five stars, were the ones from Boston NY and LA Forum.
    Thank you for the link. I own very few boots and have no idea where to look for them. I am of course most interested those with the highest ratings, but also the 2 star recording from New Haven since I was there. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RobT View Post
    Thank you for the link. I own very few boots and have no idea where to look for them. I am of course most interested those with the highest ratings, but also the 2 star recording from New Haven since I was there. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks!
    Check out on the usual places like Dimeadozen, The Traders Den and Yeeshkul. I believe there is some sort of trading group on the Yes forum, but I am not familiar on the details.

FWIW, all the boots mentioned can be downloaded free from Forgotten Yesterdays.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/downloads.asp