Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite double live albums

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Springsteen's Live 1975-85 was five records, but that was more of a compilation. In the CD era there was 2CD live albums that became 4 LP sets.
    Zappa talked about You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore as a 10-LP set before CDs took over and it became a 12-CD set.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Zappa talked about You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore as a 10-LP set before CDs took over and it became a 12-CD set.
    I remember that, when he was featured in Keyboard magazine around the time of Jazz From Hell, he was apparently in the initial planning stages of YCDTOSA. He was asked if by making it a 10 LP set it would be "twice as good" as the Springsteen set (which had come out a few months earlier and everyone was all excited about). He said something like "Oh, I think it's going to be ten times better than Springsteen's!"

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Springsteen's Live 1975-85 was five records, but that was more of a compilation..
    Yeah, I think of that more as an "archival" thing, similar to the Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks and Road Trips releases. To me, a "live album" that more or less comes out in a reasonably timely fashion after it was recorded and represents some kind of representation of what the band or artist sounds onstage "right now", as it were.

Grobschnitt - Illegal live
    This takes 3 fully packed CD's and though it's an archival release, it's one full concert. I have to say, I could do without the opening-tape.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 11-13-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I absolutely love "Beautiful as the Moon; Terrible as an Army With Banners" (i.e. side 1), but I'm not insane about the rest of it - mostly due to the sound.
    Remaster is a huge improvement over the original in the SQ department IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor:
    I absolutely love "Beautiful as the Moon; Terrible as an Army With Banners" (i.e. side 1), but I'm not insane about the rest of it - mostly due to the sound.

Remaster is a huge improvement over the original in the SQ department IMO.
    The sound quality never really bothered me, since the music was just to strong.

Whoops, my bad, never mind.

I had Skynyrd's One More from the Road back in the day, before I realized that most live albums were from various dates. I didn't understand why RVZ said on side 4 that he was starting to work up a sweat.

Live ones:

Michael Hedges--Live on the Double Planet
    Allman Brother-- Live At Filemore East
    Miles Davis--Live/Evil
    Zappa--Roxy and Elsewhere
    Gentle Giant--Playing the Fool
    Magma--Live
    Camel--Never Let Go
    Tangerine Dream--Encore

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Nice to see someone mentioned Absolutely Live from the Doors.. that was a staple back in the day..
    sure was. all their live stuff is now.

One doesn't realize how many great double live albums came out in the 70's until you look at a thread like this. Does anyone know what was considered the first successful one released was? Maybe the most successful was Frampton but that wasn't the first. Seems like the record companies jumped on the bandwagon and had every major act release one then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    One doesn't realize how many great double live albums came out in the 70's until you look at a thread like this. Does anyone know what was considered the first successful one released was? Maybe the most successful was Frampton but that wasn't the first. Seems like the record companies jumped on the bandwagon and had every major act release one then.
    Both the Allmans' At Fillmore East and Purple's Made In Japan sold well and seemed to have started the trend. That trend however, was only for big selling artists. For example, Genesis wanted their first live album to be a double but their record company refused.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Kansas : Two For The Show
    Allmans: Fillmore East
    Gov't Mule : The Deepest End

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not a live album.
    Referring to Pentangle - Basket of Light --- Don't know what I was thinking of then????
    G.A.S -aholic

^ but what a lovely live disc it is though!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes I own several Brand X records. But it's still bizarre to me that the guy who owned Roxy And Elsewhere would later cover Groovy Kind Of Love, guest star on Miami Vice, and kvetch over his band being lumped in with Yes and ELP as "a bunch of crap".
    You do know that Zappa himself, was a guest star on Miami Vice, right?

Magma - Live/Hhaï
    Yes - Yes Shows
    ELP - Welcome Back
    GG - Playing the Fool
    Hillage - Live Herald
    Renaissance - Carnegie Hall
    Art Ensemble of Chicago - Live in Paris
    Weather Report - Live
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

The Velvet Underground - 1969
    Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars
    Be Bop Deluxe - Live In The Air Age

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    You do know that Zappa himself, was a guest star on Miami Vice, right?
    Yeah, and so were Ted Nugent and Miles Davis. So what?!

^The fact that you slammed Phil for doing it, I'd guess.

No mentions of the only two live albums David Bowie actually released in the 70s, David Live and Stage. I'm not familiar with either in their original state but I do have the expanded remastered versions.

David Live is the start of his 'soul man' phase and has also some radical cabaret-style reinterpretations of other tracks...it's not to all tastes but I quite like it, same as I like some of Bob Dylan's live reinventions. Stage is from the 1978 tour, and in its remastered form presents a more-or-less complete typical set-list in the right order, as opposed to the chopped-up order of the original. Imagine opening a set with 'Warszawa', amazing, and it's a tremendous version too.

One I wish was a double is Viva Roxy Music, it was a 'farewell' album of sorts at the time (they ultimately reformed in 1979 though). They are much heavier than on the studio albums, there's some really tremendous performances but I wish things like 'Ladytron' and more of their 'hits' had been on here- it isn't as definitive as it could/should be. It certainly should have been expanded for CD.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The fact that you slammed Phil for doing it, I'd guess.

One I wish was a double is Viva Roxy Music, it was a 'farewell' album of sorts at the time (they ultimately reformed in 1979 though). They are much heavier than on the studio albums, there's some really tremendous performances but I wish things like 'Ladytron' and more of their 'hits' had been on here- it isn't as definitive as it could/should be. It certainly should have been expanded for CD.
    This show might help satisfy what you are looking for, very well recorded, great performance:

http://www.concertvault.com/roxy-mus...r-28-1974.html

Also, I saw the Bowie 1978 tour (Oakland), and I agree with you that the original double album rearranging was ill conceived -- the set list that night was a little different from the Stage CD too -- included Rock And Roll Suicide, Rebel Rebel, Jean Genie, Suffragette City (No Alabama Song)

^Thanks.

The reason those songs were excluded was presumably because all four had been on David Live...not really much of a reason, though. Different arrangements, different band.

Bowie released very, very few live albums at his peak. A few more appeared on CD such as Santa Monica '72 and Nassau Coliseum '76.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

No mentions of the only two live albums David Bowie actually released in the 70s, David Live and Stage. I'm not familiar with either in their original state but I do have the expanded remastered versions.

David Live is the start of his 'soul man' phase and has also some radical cabaret-style reinterpretations of other tracks...it's not to all tastes but I quite like it, same as I like some of Bob Dylan's live reinventions. Stage is from the 1978 tour, and in its remastered form presents a more-or-less complete typical set-list in the right order, as opposed to the chopped-up order of the original. Imagine opening a set with 'Warszawa', amazing, and it's a tremendous version too.
    I've never heard either. I always heard Earl Slick (on David Live At The Tower Theater) and Adrian Belew (on Stage) played some great guitar licks on those records, but I've never really investigated them.

I have only heard parts of it, but yes, Bowie had a sharp band for the 1978 tour heard on Stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Taped Rugs View Post
    The Velvet Underground - 1969
    Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars
    Be Bop Deluxe - Live In The Air Age
    Great mention of Be Bop although they should have included the Modern Music suite. What a great band!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I have only heard parts of it, but yes, Bowie had a sharp band for the 1978 tour heard on Stage.
    Well,t hat's a given. Bowie always had top flight bands. I guess what I was trying to get at is, whether Belew's playing is as up front as one would like it to be. I remember reading an article where Belew said that there were only a couple songs (Heroes was one of them, I think Rebel Rebel was the other) where he tried to replicate the guitar parts from the studio versions, the rest of time he was "just wailing".

What I'd like to hear is a recording from the Sound And Vision tour from the late 80's, which Bowie claimed at the time would be the last time he played his old songs, with the apparent intention of retiring them and only playing "new music" on subsequent tours.