Thread: Let's hear it for the unsung 'heroes' of music

Let's hear it for the unsung 'heroes' of music

I've listened to most stuff over the years. I own CDs by some of the biggest names in music. Hum, strange though it may seem I am now getting so much more pleasure from sounds made by little known musicians. So let's hear it for those 'little' great guys.

BOB MESSENGER, bass, flute and sax.

Recommended listens two amazing sax solos:
    1) 'A Song For You' recorded by the Carpenters on 'A Song For You' Album.
    2) 'Any Day Now/Baby It's You' live recording from Australia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPhjMEgsdCs

I'm not sure I fully understand.

This is a prog-rock site, where some of the most unknown music and artists are talked about on a regular basis. Obscure jazz, fusion, and contemporary classical are also discussed.

Besides several of the major prog bands of the 70's, the vast majority of my music collection is loaded with unsung heroes of music.

I have no interest in what is popular, or big names, because in modern music, it is almost always crap.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    This is a prog-rock site, where some of the most unknown music and artists are talked about on a regular basis. Obscure jazz, fusion, and contemporary classical are also discussed.
    ^^This +1

although, perhaps, being this is the "Off Topic" discussion that the OP is referring to more popular and commercial stylings?

If this is the case, I'll submit Brad Lang -- bass player who played all the fretless parts and some fretted bass parts on ABC's 80s output......considering how great he is, he doesn't have a lot of credits (and an AllMusic search has his credits mixed-up with Y&Ts current bassist: a different Brad Lang)

Quote Originally Posted by philipmchugh View Post
    I've listened to most stuff over the years. I own CDs by some of the biggest names in music. Hum, strange though it may seem I am now getting so much more pleasure from sounds made by little known musicians. So let's hear it for those 'little' great guys.

BOB MESSENGER, bass, flute and sax.

Recommended listens two amazing sax solos:
    1) 'A Song For You' recorded by the Carpenters on 'A Song For You' Album.
    2) 'Any Day Now/Baby It's You' live recording from Australia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPhjMEgsdCs
    A Song For You was written by Leon Russell, someone who probably qualifies under this category. He was responsible for putting together the band for Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. He played with Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton. He was a major influence on Eric. He also influenced the Allman Brothers. The Allman Brothers FB page posted an old picture of him without a beard with Gregg and Duane this morning.

Dixie Dregs - Unsung Heroes

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Dixie Dregs - Unsung Heroes

I see what you did there
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

10 CC were unsung heroes. Graham Goldman had written "For Your Love" ..Yardbirds and "No Milk Today" for Herman's Hermits. Godley, Creme, and Stewart were fine crafted songwriters. All four of them had a unique approach to songwriting . But they do not have a household name amongst radio friendly devotees. People know the song "I'm Not In Love" particularly around Valentines Day or weddings where the song has been oddly enough requested for slow dancing. "The Things We Do For Love" is often played on those "Love Boat" radio stations. In the real world most people have no idea who the four of them are.

I have always been drawn to songwriting. Verses, chorus, solo, bridge...but it has to be assembled artistically in some way in order for me to appreciate it. Laura Nyro never really received the credit she deserved. When she first hit the music scene with her debut and Eli and the Thirteenth Confession...musicians where like...."Oh you mean it's possible to use dissonant sounding chords to write a hit song?" "Who is is girl and where did she come from?"". Just one profound pathetic emotionally charged reaction from one musician to the next. Everybody flipped out and wanted to figure out if they could write a song like she did. Write it with a more involved structure. Be able to sing totally melodic over top of some inverted dis-chorded triad passages like she did. She was very unusual and held the hundred percent interest of other great songwriters around her. Todd Rundgren being the most evident .

Miles Davis seemed to have a lot of respect for her. She gained the commonly known reputation of existing genius songwriter whose songs are covered by other's and produced hit records. So aside from the musicians and hardcore supporters she was not acknowledged by a mass of people...when really she should have been long ago and I say that because she completely changed the way a Pop song could be written. Her ear worked much differently than most songwriters and musicians. She was tapped into a completely different way of forming ideas from what she heard. If she heard an idea that was not heard by too many other's...she built on it and formed a kind of Broadway style or Folk and Jazz influences to give the song and it's odd chord progression somewhat appeal to Pop music fans. Although they recognized her songs through others artists...she as a person was humble and remained the underdog for decades. She remains to be one of the most unique innovators of the 60's. Even if her music is not remotely interesting to you..she helped other people to write more Progressive and left her ideas for the rest of the music world to pursue. She definitely wasn't a stay at home Brian Wilson because regardless of her breaks between she always went back to performing. Her first 6 albums are dark and depressing. She often speaks of misfortune and death in her lyrics. She was a unique individual.