Thread: FEATURED CD : Daniele Cavallanti Electric Unit feat. Nels Cline - Smoke Inside

FEATURED CD : Daniele Cavallanti Electric Unit feat. Nels Cline - Smoke Inside

Looking for an obscure electric jazz album that throws back to 1971? Try this from Italian saxophonist Daniele Cavallanti from 2007. Of special note, this album features the guitar playing of Nels Cline. This is an extremely well done album in the style that carries fiery electric free jazz to memorable blues laden melodies in the classic style.

Review from Jazz Review

Like many performers of the fusion/free jazz ilk, The Daniele Cavallanti Electric Unit composes music that enables them to indulge in their personalized idioms and individually carved fragments. The Unit recorded the tracks on their latest album Smoke Inside from April 30th, 2006 to May 1st, 2006. It was a 24-hour buzz that they needed to get out of their systems and they did it in one jam session. Their energies expelled music ideas that created contrasting tones, frills and twirls with uneven levels of inertia and polyrhythmic movements that cause many aspects of the music to sound jumbled and radical.

Literally, each player moves to the beat of a different drummer and yet the players still resonate with a common syncopation that engages the listener into the musicians charming play. There are some performers who use their music to express serious moods and then there are those like The Daniele Cavallanti Electric Unit who show a lot of frolicking play and inventive doodling with jazz and blues overtones in their music. The object is not to let the music make you go insane with all the lines streaming chaotically into each other, but to hear where they are coming from and when they come into the picture. The music is like a conversation with multiple voices surrounding you.

The opening number "Cline’s Line" sprouts a bouquet of frilly guitar bows performed by Nels Cline. The guitar is soon combined with cooling saxophone rings played by Daniele Cavallanti and thrusting drum strikes by Tiziano Tononi. Coming into the fold periodically are keyboardist Ivano Borgazzi, bass player Giovanni Maier, guitarist Simone Massaron and percussionist Pacho. The music takes on an eerie, sci-fi dimension on "Lonesome Drive" providing cavernous echoes, then turning the tables and making the music a session of twisted metal pinned by dysfunctional phrasing with "Fabrizio’s Mood." The blues revival of Ahima’s subdivision "Long Song Blues" is shaped from bluesy organs and upright bass tugs barbed by sultry saxophone lines that produce a strip-tease atmospherics.

The track "Moods For Dewey" is a tribute to their beloved friend Dewey Redman. The Unit covers the melody in laid-back urban grooves of the ‘70s pumping out funky bass and percussion lines as the saxophone phrases twirl vivaciously with the beating heart of someone who celebrates the joyful memories of the past. The final track "Go On Moses" is dripping in warm saxophone tones and peaceful keys. It is the most melodic tune on the album and rich in bluesy fibers.

Produced by Fabrizio Perissinotto, Smoke Inside is true to many fusion/free jazz ideals which allows each player to keep his own individual style while being meshed into others. The solos are sparse, but when they are done, the other players pause in reverence. The Unit’s intermingling of electric and acoustic instruments is exceptionally skillful, layering the parts to enhance the multiple dimensions in the music. I dare to say that The Daniele Cavallanti Electric Unit falls into that old cliché "Italians do it better."

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Amazingly, du prog folx aren't only abstaining from replies but apparently stay away from even opening the thread.

I hadn't heard this before at all, but alas Nels Cline is one of the finest electric axemen on the planet (not just IMHO but more or less acknowledged as such) I listened through this - and it's great.

I'll check out further.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Both vids are not avalailable.

I think I still have this one. I remember it being pretty good. Have to dig...

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

For some reasons, the YT that have this kind of presentation are newer playable from either Belgium or Netherlands

This was again the case.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm guessing it's because those are automatically generated YT videos based on some streaming service.

Anyway, I found this track:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm guessing it's because those are automatically generated YT videos based on some streaming service.

Anyway, I found this track:

A nice track.

Recently, I happened to listen to another Nels Cline project: Banyan . It's a jazz/punk/improv band with Mike Watt and ex-Jane's Addiction drummer Stephen Perkins. Very smokin'. His most recent release is called Lovers - mostly very sweet and tasty jazz standards. He is incredibly versatile. But I like his Nels Cline Singers work the best.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Any project featuring either / both of the Cline brothers is of interest to me. The sadly defunct Cryptogramophone label was my main source of such. In addition I'm a big fan of Tiziano Tononi - the drummer here, but also a bandleader and composer with a number of extremely worthwhile (I am tempted to say 'important') projects to his name. So not surprisingly I loved this. Thanks to Poisoned Youth for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    But I like his Nels Cline Singers work the best.
    Besides Hollenbeck's various endeavours and The Necks (whom I'm seeing live here in Oslo next Friday - can't wait!), the NCS is my absolute fave current beyond-jazz project.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This sounds great. I'll pick this up.

Pretty sure this one only got one play and was put into the keeper rack...really dug Cline here, (as expected). The Singers, Crater, Banyan and several other solo discs are consistently high quality poop, also really liked a Tony Williams tribute bootleg disc he was on w/ Alex Cline, (which I guess he isn't all that fond of). It's kind of gritty, but really catches a certain raw quality that makes the early Lifetime stuff work imo. Catching him live on a good night can be an early Rypdal or McLaughlin level experience.
    Last edited by Bake 1; 11-12-2016 at 02:05 AM.

I'll have to check out more of this stuff...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.