Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kinks Will Reunite In 2017

The Kinks Will Reunite In 2017

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great news! 40 years after the last time I saw them in concert, I would be willing and happy to see them again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

This is SO WEIRD: Ive been listening to The Kinks all week....got on a kick over the weekend (even watched the "Biography Channel" episode again)......I wonder whos going to play bass? (John Dalton was an excellent bass player, but Pete Quaife (RIP) - to me - was the personality of that band during his tenure)

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    40 years after the last time I saw them in concert, I would be willing and happy to see them again.
    I saw them in 1970, and they were so loaded they could barely stand. Can't wait to see them again!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wonder if Ray and Dave will be pronouncing their last name the same way for the reunion.

The list of bands I would go out of my way to see is shrinking very quickly as the bones start creaking more & more.

I'll rent a wheelchair & hire an aide if they come close to Madcity.

Saw them twice (1st time they did only the first 3 hits (You Really, All Day & Tired) at a Murray the K all-star show at the Brooklyn Fox in '67 or '68 & the 2nd time they did all of Arthur plus more) & Ray solo once. Hence the wheelchair and aide.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I saw them in 1970, and they were so loaded they could barely stand. Can't wait to see them again!

They did a truly infamous gig here in Wales (Cardiff) in the mid 60s where Mick Avory whacked Dave Davies over the head with a drum pedal!

I'm glad that Dave Davies is healthy enough to be able to play live. That means he has recovered.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Would love to see them live again, but I'm betting tickets will be beyond my budget.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

So does this make the elusive "Do It Again" documentary irrelevant??

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    ......I wonder whos going to play bass? (John Dalton was an excellent bass player, but Pete Quaife (RIP) - to me - was the personality of that band during his tenure)
    How about Jim Rodford?? I would imagine he could squeeze it in between Zombies tours, or better yet, the can all go out together.
    Last edited by progholio; 11-10-2016 at 05:11 PM.

I had a chance to see Sunny Afternoon in London last summer. A Ray Davies written musical on the history of the band. It was nothing short of fantastic. I took the family and they went in not all that excited, by the end we were all standing up and singing. Well written and terrific performances. I highly recommend it to anyone the goes to (or is in) London.

Better yet who is the drummer? Mick Avory?

Good news. I had heard the reason why they split and haven't reunited is because the two Davies brothers don't get a long. I wonder if both Dave and Ray are involved in this reunion.

I only saw them live once and it was one of my first concerts(actually part of a festival).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Good news. I had heard the reason why they split and haven't reunited is because the two Davies brothers don't get a long.
    geez...that pretty much sums up their career, doesn't it? I'm sure thats the given reason but splitting up over that reason seems more like an after-thought.......I am hoping Mick Avory will play drums ( I was assuming that he would for the reunion) -- Hes in his early 70s but he looks to be in decent physical shape....Would be awesome if he were and would give me that much more of a reason to go see them

As far as Mick Avory is concerned, it was him and Dave Davies that clashed for decades until the former could stand it no longer- I believe he was much closer with Ray. He is still active in bands...I was surprised to note he was in that project that Bruce Foxton is doing called From The Jam, he replaced Rick Buckler.

Sadly Pete Quaife died a few years back, I recall Ray Davies paying tribute at the time. Jim Rodford is still gigging regularly, as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    As far as Mick Avory is concerned, it was him and Dave Davies that clashed for decades until the former could stand it no longer- I believe he was much closer with Ray. He is still active in bands...I was surprised to note he was in that project that Bruce Foxton is doing called From The Jam, he replaced Rick Buckler.

Sadly Pete Quaife died a few years back, I recall Ray Davies paying tribute at the time. Jim Rodford is still gigging regularly, as noted.
    thanks for the Avory note --- yeah, very sad about Quaife -- he was always the funny one with the quick wit in interviews....in a public relations regard, he was their John Lennon ( he even looked a little like Lennon---kinda like a cross between Lennon and Jack Soo)

that pretty much sums up their career, doesn't it?
    Being banned from touring the US for four years during their prime didn't help.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The Kinks were so contentious they made the Who's look peaceful (though I'm not sure if Dave ever hit Ray so hard his feet left the floor). But yeah, for decades Dave and Ray did not get along and neither did Mick and Dave.

I hope that whatever they do, it's released on DVD because any tour will never get anywhere near where I live.

I'm still a big fan of the To The Bone live collection from the 90s. It jumps back and forth between an acoustic set and a full arena show too much but damn, there's some definitive versions on it, especially "Days" and my personal anthem, "I'm Not Like Everybody Else".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Being banned from touring the US for four years during their prime didn't help.
    yup --- that one altercation is the pivotal thing that kept them from SuperGroup status that the Stones, Beatles, and The Who currently enjoy..... everything that ive read and seen about it suggests that they cant even remember the details about it ( or are so embarressed by it, that they refuse to disclose any details)

by the way, love it or hate it, I think Misfits is a good album

I love "Hay Fever." It's such a nice, happy, upbeat, catchy song... about being sick! The title song is really sweet, too. I just think "Black Messiah" is really an ill-advised song, and it doesn't get any better over time.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

From The Kinks Facebook page:

"Ray Davies was misquoted at the recent Q awards. Both Ray and Dave have solo albums coming out next year and have no plans to re-unite in the immediate future."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm still a big fan of the To The Bone live collection from the 90s. It jumps back and forth between an acoustic set and a full arena show too much but damn, there's some definitive versions on it, especially "Days" and my personal anthem, "I'm Not Like Everybody Else".
    That's the Kinks album I pull out most too...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

yup --- that one altercation is the pivotal thing that kept them from SuperGroup status that the Stones, Beatles, and The Who currently enjoy..... everything that ive read and seen about it suggests that they cant even remember the details about it ( or are so embarressed by it, that they refuse to disclose any details)

I totally agree. Their ban from playing live in the US from 66-69 certainly hurt them and I agree they would be up there with the Who(at least) if that didn't happen. From what I understand there was no specific incident that led to the ban but in general it was attributed to "rowdy behavior."

It's interesting that both Ray and Dave pronounce their last name "Davis" and not "day vees." I only learned that in the past ten years or so after hearing them interviewed on satellite radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I totally agree. Their ban from playing live in the US from 66-69 certainly hurt them and I agree they would be up there with the Who(at least) if that didn't happen. From what I understand there was no specific incident that led to the ban but in general it was attributed to "rowdy behavior."
    The story I remember is that their manager quit them while they were in the middle of a US tour and were left under their own teenage devices....they were touring and booking hotels, dealing business with the promoters, and chasing down their luggage on their own....... a representative from the American Musicians Union (the AFM) had personally got into contact with them and, without a manager to diffuse the situation, Dave Davies cold-cocked him over some trivial dispute that could have been easily settled by a professional