Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gösta Berlings Saga ~ Sersophane

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel_GBS View Post
    Great to hear! Out of curiosity - did you order directly from www.gostaberlingssaga.se or from anywhere else?
    I ordered from www.gostaberlingssaga.se ...wanted to support you guys directly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    I ordered from www.gostaberlingssaga.se ...wanted to support you guys directly.
    We appreciate it!

A bit surprised that it took two weeks to get there, but maybe thats normal. I think we shipped it 7:th of december. Anyway, glad that it arrived!

I downloaded it from your bandcamp page, and am really liking the music. Lots of good ideas, and a very....eerie feel, overall. I dig it!

neil

Yeah, this is cool stuff.

Picked this up last week and I've been spinning it a lot since. Excellent album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Awesome album, just way to short....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't consider 39 minutes short, I like 35 to 45 minute albums.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Awesome album, just way to short....
    Agreed.

But even still...At this point, my second favorite, behind their second album.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

VERY solid release!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

one of my top 10 from 2016... perhaps top 5
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Children! Rise Up!
    Throw off the shackles of the oppressor!
    You don't need the man!
    Yes, somehow I can see the hurt in holding up and helping the kids ride a bike or iceskate only to see them drift perpetually onto the horizon once they can stay their own balance! "Hey you! Get back here! Where d'you think you're goin'?!"
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To me, after a couple of spins, it stands out as being unique in comparison to the first three. Texturally it flows differently and appears a bit more subtle and nuanced overall, especially in comparison to Detta. Like Glue Works, however, this one feels like a real grower for me, with a lot to discover over repeated listens.

Another great work by such fantastic guys. I hope to play again with them on the very same stage, in the next future, as happened some years ago: their live act was very impressive.

I've had this for a few weeks now and have spun it about five or six times. It was the first album I played when I got back from Korea on Saturday. I'd say that spin was my most enjoyable. I like the album better than Glue Works, but can't say I love it, though a couple of things hit me on that last spin that hadn't before, so I haven't given up.

Out of curiosity, I spun GBS' first album last night as a point of comparison. That's probably my favorite of theirs, and I was reminded of what really excited me about this band on their first two albums. Those early works just seem to have a lot more development and a lot more melodic content, even in the songs that are more "minimalist" in nature. And a bit more "exuberance," for lack of a better word. The new one seems to be more an exploration of mood, not as many of those catchy interlocking melodies and more developed harmonic content. Not saying it's a bad album, I just prefer the earlier approach.

But as I say, I haven't given up on this one, and am still exploring it.

Bill