Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yessongs - 40th Anniversary Blu-ray

Yessongs - 40th Anniversary Blu-ray

I vaguely remember some discussions at the time, but a 40th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Yessongs came out back in 2012 but for whatever Yes-like reasons it was never offered in an encoded version that could be enjoyed by about half the planet (including the US). Lo and behold Amazon is taking pre-orders for a re-release on November 18th, this time encoded so that everyone can actually watch it.

I learned about this after stumbling on a YT video of the 1-hour documentary that was included with the original version and then following up to find out what the heck happened with that release. I can't remember if any effort was made to improve the quality of the visuals or the sound, but I'll probably add this to my shopping list when those Xmas Amazon gift cards come my way this year.

Here's the video. It's good, but sadly just Steve, Chris and Roger Dean are interviewed. But I'm one of those people who discovered Yes through Yessongs, and Roger Dean was my original inspiration to become a graphic designer so it's fantastic just for his involvement alone IMO.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The audio on the DVD is horrid. I don't know about sync problems, but it's muddy and un-enjoyable.

The only decent version I've heard is the "Original" VHS release from the 80's. WAY more dynamic and doesn't sound like your speakers have a pillow on top of it. I tossed my DVD copy in the trash, and dubbed my VHS to DVD myself.

I have the blu-ray, bought it on the merits of the 5.1 surround (what a poor joke), seen it once, poor sound and also very poor picture if I remember correctly (wouldnt waste a DVD on it, let alone a BD)

First I've seen this.. thanks for posting.. Amazing how animated Steve was during this era..

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have the blu-ray, bought it on the merits of the 5.1 surround (what a poor joke), seen it once, poor sound and also very poor picture if I remember correctly (wouldnt waste a DVD on it, let alone a BD)
    The picture quality is ok for what it is, but the audio is still horrible. It really should have been remixed from the multitracks for a new 2.0 and 5.1. For some reason, not even the original quad soundtrack was included.

I had the early 90s VHS release of this, and thought that the sound quality was indeed appalling, and the audio sync issues made it almost unwatchable. This was such a shame as the performance was utterly fantastic. If these issues have been fixed on the new dvd version then I'll have to very seriously consider buying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    The picture quality is ok for what it is, but the audio is still horrible. It really should have been remixed from the multitracks for a new 2.0 and 5.1. For some reason, not even the original quad soundtrack was included.
    Do we know multi-tracks even exist? I'd guess they don't. Otherwise, we'd have had a proper remix years ago.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Do we know multi-tracks even exist? I'd guess they don't. Otherwise, we'd have had a proper remix years ago.
    We don't know, that's true. But it might also be that nobody tried to find them. The 1972 live recordings used for Progeny were considered "lost", just because nobody had tried to locate them until a few years ago. Most likely the multitracks for the Rainbow shows still exist, but they might not be in the same vault the Progeny tapes were, if the movie soundtrack was done later. Also, there were some legal issues involved with the film.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I had the early 90s VHS release of this, and thought that the sound quality was indeed appalling, and the audio sync issues made it almost unwatchable.
    The one to have is the 1984 VHS release, the one with this box:

There have been 1 or 2 more re-issues on VHS before the DVD... none sounded like the original VHS. I still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

There have been 1 or 2 more re-issues on VHS before the DVD... none sounded like the original VHS. I still have it.
    Interesting. I also transferred my VHS to DVD-r but it is a later Rhino release. Sounds pretty good when I back the treble way off and boost the bass on my amp. Would be neat to hear the difference on the original you have.

i have the VHS release, and the sync is horrible. It gets worse as it goes along, too.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

That's the one I have, and it's vastly superior to the DVD, which suffers from film scratches and other source damage.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's the one I have, and it's vastly superior to the DVD, which suffers from film scratches and other source damage.
    Yup indeed. And it does not have any sync problems either that other people are mentioning. This like the first or 2nd VHS I ever bought in the early 80's. It was this and ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition.

I have a VHS from way back and nothing to play it on now, plus a DVD release. The DVD is far from perfect but I put that down to the limitations of the aged source material. I saw this at the cinema back in the day, I wasn't discerning enough to comment on sound and picture quality then, it was the first "live" Yes I had seen so I was thrilled.

The one that disappoints the most is the Live in Philadelphia '79 DVD, what a missed opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    i have the VHS release, and the sync is horrible. It gets worse as it goes along, too.
    Maybe they were lip syncing to it all along.

Is that the one with the advert for some B-movie at the beginning of the tape? I remember renting that circa 1986, I think at the old Erol's (that eventually became a Blockbuster and which is now a bank, I think) that used to be up at Cedar Center. i remember being disappointed that they only use Wurm, during the closing credits, then cutting to the band performing as they go into Howe's solo, I think. I was also disappointed The Fish wasn't in the film, but at the time, I didn't know they didn't actually play it on that tour and that the version that was on the album was actually from the previous tour.

I think since that time, I've watched the version of Close To The Edge on Youtube, that might be about all I've seen. I imagine a lot of people don't like it, but i Rather like the nature footage during the first part of Close To The Edge, during Howe's opening solo. I also recall Rick playing a bit of Jingle Bells during his keyboard cadenza, and Howe is shown playing Clap (versus Mood For A Day on the album).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

The one that disappoints the most is the Live in Philadelphia '79 DVD, what a missed opportunity.
    I'd still like to know what that was done for. It looks like a TV broadcast, because it fades in and out periodically, as if to suggest that was were ad breaks were supposed to be. The thing that gets me is the exclusion of Awaken, or any of the better songs from Tormato. I like Circle Of Heaven, but I think Future Times/Rejoice or Silent Wings would have been a better choice, if you could only use one song from that album. It might have been interesting if they had included the medley, as well.

It's just such a damn shame the band broke up before that could be used for whatever project it was meant for. All the iterations I've seen of that footage are super grainy with, I believe, mono sound. That's probably all they have, as I imagine the masters were wiped or thrown out decades before that DVD came out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is that the one with the advert for some B-movie at the beginning of the tape?
    It is indeed.

...i remember being disappointed that they only use Wurm, during the closing credits, then cutting to the band performing as they go into Howe's solo, I think. I was also disappointed The Fish wasn't in the film.....
    Yeah, it's a short film, but this is YES in 1972. It's the best document we have of that time & tour. I was never really disappointed with the film, I watched it a hundred times when I bought the VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Yeah. This is a disappointment. The one on DVD looks exactly the same as the bootleg that circulated for years in the trades. I image the masters are lost because you would think the band would have been all over this for a good release.

It's just such a damn shame the band broke up before that could be used for whatever project it was meant for.
    Been a while since I watched this show but yeah in hindsight it's interesting how Jon is telling the crowd of their future plans and how he's looking forward to seeing them on the next tour etc. given how the next 12 months played out..

I suspect that the audio tapes were previously used before the audio was recorded. Some of this is the Rainbow show, but there are definitely parts from other shows as well. I asked several people in the music biz back then why there weren't more video concerts. The most common reply is that some people would just watch the tape and not bother going to the concert. The record company exec from RCA said that they just don't sell well enough to justify the production costs unless it was a huge name like Elvis or the Beatles or the Stones.

The 1979 Philadelphia DVD is a curious story. An edited TV broadcast was indeed broadcast back in the day. This straight cut was released on VHS and on DVD in the 90s. This version can also be found as a bonus feature on one of the DVD releases of Keys To Ascension.
    Then in the mid-2000s, Sanctuary announced a DVD release. Interestingly, an insider revealed that the original plan was to include much more unreleased material they had. Individual camera angles, backstage interviews and extra songs! However, what came out was exactly the same as the original broadcast as far as song selection goes. However, many of the camera angles are different, so it does mean that the footage exists! Unfortunately, the sound was much worse than the 90s release with added audience noise and generally sounding extremely tinny.
    The last I heard, Yes's management were looking a for the complete show. I do believe that, sooner or later, we will see at least what they have. If I had to go out on a limb as to what else they have, I'd say Arriving UFO, the Big Medley and Clap are defos.

I haven't seen the Philadelphia show in many years, as I bought it on laserdisc back in the day and now have nothing to play it on. But didn't it also have sync issues? I remember it being a bit frustrating to sit through.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That late 70s period is poorly represented on CD as well. The Word Is Live has quite a bit from that time (most of the new songs of that period and 'The Big Medley', so it covers the gaps left on Yesshows) but the sound is very dry, as far as I recall. And the problems are the same as with Yesshows...too long a time period in one package so it doesn't hold up well as a listening experience. Yessongs was all the same year, even with the two drummers.

The Yessongs film is from the Rainbow. Most of the album was from the US, which has been covered by the Progeny box. This accounts for the differences between the film and the album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That late 70s period is poorly represented on CD as well.
    Wembley '78 would fix that nicely.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That late 70s period is poorly represented on CD as well. The Word Is Live has quite a bit from that time (most of the new songs of that period and 'The Big Medley', so it covers the gaps left on Yesshows) but the sound is very dry, as far as I recall. And the problems are the same as with Yesshows...too long a time period in one package so it doesn't hold up well as a listening experience. .
    Someone out "there" put together a different package titled The Word is Share which does a pretty good job of filling in some of the gaps you refer to..