Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson NA tour

Steven Wilson NA tour

I'm off to SF to see the bare-footed one. The Masonic is a very nice venue, probably a 1500-2000 seater. I don't think it's close to sold out but I see that some other shows are either sold out or close to.

Bruce Soord will hopefully oblige us with an entertaining set. And I see that LA is the only stop to get Ninet on this leg. Bastards.

Anyways, should be interesting. Hopefully he'll be road testing some new tunes.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Soord never got his visa

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Soord never got his visa
    Just got home. SW and band were their usual amazingness. Tributes to both Bowie and Prince, plus a couple 4 1/2 tracks in the second set. No new songs, though SW said he has them.

The only downer of the night was that we got to the venue at around 8:30 only to learn that Wilson and crew were already getting started cuz Soord was a no-show.

Editorial: I find it hard to believe that in 2016 it hasn't become common knowledge that making arrangements to travel to the U.S. as a professional musician is a monumental pain in the ass that takes eons to sort out. I feel bad for Bruce Soord and all, but to quote Barack Obama, "C'mon, man!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thanks for posting. I'm going to the LA show tonight and am thrilled to hear that Ninet will be there. It certainly validates my last-minute decision to attend. I have a friend who was already going and am hitching a ride with his crew. Bought my ticket last Sunday and the show apparently sold out soon thereafter.

Anything interesting on the swag table?

Not being an experienced traveller I haven't got a clue what the project is for getting a visa and how long it takes.

At the same time I felt for Bruce Soord as this tour was a big deal for him.

I have just read on his FB page that he now has the visa and will make the Phoenix gig onwards.

I would say though that if this was Bruce's fault I am guessing SW, being the professional that he is, would not take fools lightly.

So the fact that Bruce is still on the tour speaks volumes

For project read process

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm off to SF to see the bare-footed one. The Masonic is a very nice venue, probably a 1500-2000 seater. I don't think it's close to sold out but I see that some other shows are either sold out or close to.

Bruce Soord will hopefully oblige us with an entertaining set. And I see that LA is the only stop to get Ninet on this leg. Bastards.

Anyways, should be interesting. Hopefully he'll be road testing some new tunes.
    He wont.

The weird little fucker isn't coming anywhere near here. Curse his oily-hide. All the stuff I have of his and money I spent on his shows... lousy no-good son of a.....

Saw the SF show at the Masonic.

Having to look at the backside of an Apple Laptop right at the front center of the stage was disgraceful in my opinion.
    Is this a Radiohead show or the best contemporary progressive rock has to offer? The fans were generally the older set with a few younger faces here and there. Drove by the Regency Ballroom on the way home and it was all the younger set packed in there for God knows what. If this genre has any chance of winning the ears of this generation, it better make some changes.

I'm worried for the future of progressive rock more than ever.

Wilson is certainly catering to the ears of "The Prog World" and doing a fine job across the boards. But if he is claiming the flagship of this third generation of sophisticated rock music, he better figure out a way to embrace the consciousness of the human condition in a way that truly reflects our times at a much deeper level.... and guess what? our times are not that much different than they were 40 years ago. Just look at what Tuesday will bring.

Steven Wilson, think on these things.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    figure out a way to embrace the consciousness of the human condition
    I blew off the LA show last night, I wasn't up to making the 160 mile drive round trip to downtown for an artist who admittedly has not engaged me musically. I do regret (#9) not being able to see a bunch of friends who were there but when I moved here a year ago I knew I'd lose touch with some folks as a result.

Skullhead's quote summarizes what it is about SW's music that leaves me feeling a little less like laughing: the uniformly dark lyrics seem contrived and maudlin. I can't connect emotionally with the pain, the precipices we all miraculously pull back from, the mundane torture of daily existence, the unbearable loneliness, or the cold rain always falling from the ever-gray sky.

I think if I were, like, 25 I'd be into it but at 54 I can't relate.
    Last edited by Jefferson James; 11-06-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Saw the SF show at the Masonic. Having to look at the backside of an Apple Laptop right at the front center of the stage was disgraceful in my opinion.
    Because it should have been facing the other way? Because it should have been hidden? Or because it has no place being there at all due to some rule or law (of the genre?) that states computers are forbidden? Or some other reason? "Disgraceful" is pretty powerful language.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Because it should have been facing the other way? Because it should have been hidden? Or because it has no place being there at all due to some rule or law (of the genre?) that states computers are forbidden? Or some other reason? "Disgraceful" is pretty powerful language.
    Putting the Apple computer at the front of the stage, in front of all the instruments, musicians, even blocking the view of front or near front row audience patrons. It felt like an advertisement for Apple. For someone who is constantly praising the old way of doing things, the message is more than conflicting.

What is it there for? A teleprompter? Prerecorded samples? Sorry, rather not see it, and not on display as if I am in the Apple store or Genius desk.

Wilson is leading the way, and with that comes a special responsibility. I hope he understands this completely.

With regard to Bruce Soord and visas, I'm not sure about musicians from the UK, but I came across an interesting item from Brian Vollmer of Helix this weekend

http://sleazeroxx.com/brian-vollmer-...oss-us-border/

Putting the Apple computer at the front of the stage, in front of all the instruments, musicians, even blocking the view of front or near front row audience patrons. It felt like an advertisement for Apple. For someone who is constantly praising the old way of doing things, the message is more than conflicting.

What is it there for? A teleprompter? Prerecorded samples? Sorry, rather not see it, and not on display as if I am in the Apple store or Genius desk.

Wilson is leading the way, and with that comes a special responsibility. I hope he understands this completely.
    Your Cheerios suck this weekend? By your reasoning, any stage gear that has a corporate logo should be abolished from view of the stage. Away with Marshall labels on amps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Your Cheerios suck this weekend? By your reasoning, any stage gear that has a corporate logo should be abolished from view of the stage. Away with Marshall labels on amps!!!
    No, he's just crabby cuz from his seat the laptop blocked his view of SW when he was sitting at the keyboard. I'd probably be a bit annoyed as well, but then again I'd realize that's just the luck of the draw and that the other 99.5% of audience patrons didn't have that problem.

And as for SW "constantly praising the old ways of doing things" I don't recall him ever disavowing computer technology. In fact at that very show he praised the wonders of Apple technology for allowing us to hear Ninet's contributions to some songs even though she wasn't there in person.

No, he's just crabby cuz from his seat the laptop blocked his view of SW when he was sitting at the keyboard.
    Ahhh, makes sense. I thought it was also because he is signed up here at PE with 2 different user names so I was unsure which personality he was portraying with this recent posting.

No, he's just crabby cuz from his seat the laptop blocked his view of SW when he was sitting at the keyboard. I'd probably be a bit annoyed as well, but then again I'd realize that's just the luck of the draw and that the other 99.5% of audience patrons didn't have that problem.
    I caught the Portland show on Nov. 3 and was impressed by the performance and sound mix, particularly the latter, as it was a fairly small venue (it seats about 1,500). I was lucky enough to have a balcony seat so avoided any sight line issues associated with the stage setup. I can see, however, where the laptop placement could've been annoying to anyone seated on the floor in direct line with Steven's keys. Overall, the show was a great value as Steven & co. performed for nearly three hours (excepting a short break after doing Hands. Will. Not. Erase. in its entirety).

It happened to be Steven's birthday that night and the crowd burst into a rendition of "Happy Birthday" following the opening tune

Musicians now often use software for effects processing rather than stomp boxs (tough they still have a pedal board to activate patches on the computer. So there was likely a very good reason for that Apple device to be right where it was. Computers have now become instruments and, thus, are no more offensive p, front of stage, then seeing a piano with "Fender Rhodes' on it, or any other instrument with a brand name.

Better get with it...join the 21st century.

It may also have been used for preprogrammed tracks, but just wanted to offer an alternative reason for it being there. Guitarists like Eivind Aarset and trumpeters like Nils Petter Molvær rely heavily on MacBooks and software contained on them, to get their sounds.

Just an. FYI.

And as for SW "constantly praising the old ways of doing things" I don't recall him ever disavowing computer technology. In fact at that very show he praised the wonders of Apple technology for allowing us to hear Ninet's contributions to some songs even though she wasn't there in person.
    Not to mention that all those wonderful remixes he does are done digitally, most likely on some Apple computer (probably a higher powered home model, though, as the resources required to load and mix 24+ tracks is not insignificant)....

I certainly am looking forward to the PHX show manana.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I blew off the LA show last night, I wasn't up to making the 160 mile drive round trip to downtown for an artist who admittedly has not engaged me musically. I do regret (#9) not being able to see a bunch of friends who were there but when I moved here a year ago I knew I'd lose touch with some folks as a result.

Skullhead's quote summarizes what it is about SW's music that leaves me feeling a little less like laughing: the uniformly dark lyrics seem contrived and maudlin. I can't connect emotionally with the pain, the precipices we all miraculously pull back from, the mundane torture of daily existence, the unbearable loneliness, or the cold rain always falling from the ever-gray sky.

Wait until you are 57 like me, those lyrics sound like real life to me!

I can definitely understand not being able to relate to Wilson's lyrical imagery, and even some of his music. In general, I don't listen to his music to feel uplifted. But I am curious whether you've heard his last couple of solo efforts, The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand. Cannot. Erase. The former is a very dark record, but feels like a classic album from yesteryear in a lot of ways. The latter actually has some very upbeat and almost uplifting musical passages, and is maybe his most interesting work to date IMO.

Just wondering is all. They're a very different beast compared to Porcupine Tree.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Wait until you are 57 like me, those lyrics sound like real life to me!
    Ok man, I'll touch base in 2019 and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I am curious whether you've heard his last couple of solo efforts, The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    I have indeed heard both.

I have indeed heard both.
    Gotcha. I think we both tend to like more "positive" sounding music, so I can definitely empathize with those who don't take to Steven Wilson's output as much.

The tone of his 4 1/2 album was so upbeat a friend of mine was surprised to hear it was SW.

He's not always a maudlin downer....