Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: RUSH - Time Stand Still Documentary

SCTV was shown on NBC late at night.[I seem to remember it was after Saturday Night Live]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw them on the Signals tour as well and thought it was a spectacular set list. Plus, Count Floyd!

I should try and find a good boot of that tour.
    Amazing. Here's the best boot I've heard from the tour, Nassau Coliseum, 12/9/82:

https://youtu.be/PK0YnmZ9-Ow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Another of my favourite albums but I was too young to see that tour! Nine or ten years old at the time. Speaking of Count Floyd (Joe Flaherty), was SCTV shown in the States? I'm never sure what aspects of Canadian culture/entertainment makes it beyond the border.
    Back when I was living in SoCal and a freshman in college a roommate and I would always catch SCTV after we got home from night classes (I think our fave for a long time was John Candy and Dr. Tongue's House of Beef). This was back around 1983, and I think it came on after Letterman (when HE was just getting started). So I definitely got a huge kick when Rush used Count Floyd on that song (I didn't see the Signals tour but they used that clip every time they played "The Weapon" for years afterwards.)

(From the Grace Under Pressure concert video)
    Last edited by Paulrus; 12-19-2016 at 01:45 AM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Got this for Christmas and watched it tonight. It started off amazingly, with Geddy, Alex and Neil talking about the music, and the early tour days. Then, I have to agree with some others, who have said that there is just too much fan footage here, and the focus is lost. A section on the fans would have been nice, but having extensive interviews and almost having it take over the movie at times, was not what I wanted to see. I'd rather hear more from the guys who created that fan base.

Still, it is nice to have this around, and great to document the final tour. Some heart-warming and heart-wrenching moments, make it a must see for Rush fans (like me!). And it was wonderful to see Neil come out on the last show, for an upfront bow to the fans. You know that is not his comfort zone, and it obviously surprised Geddy quite a bit! And no, I haven't seen them 140 times, but probably at least 10, and they were the very first concert that I went to, without my parents, for the A Farewell to Kings tour!

I think that they have way too much passion towards doing things at the highest level to do any kind of one-off reunion type shows, or release music together, and not play it live, but you never know, I suppose. A spectacular career, for sure, and it is very hard to think of another rock band, that has had that long a run, at such a high level, of execution.

neil

Finally got to watch this yesterday. Really sad to see this as a swansong, but we've had these guys touring and recording for 40+ years, so it's been a great run. The interviews were really good I thought. Finally getting some output from Neil was long overdue. And the Rush fanatic that's in the whitehouse (for another couple weeks I presume) was a treat seeing her with the pres. I thought that this video makes a a really good compliment to Behind the Lighted Stage. Very different video so that they both stand on their own.
    I'll miss these guys, but you can't punish yourself forever. Their routine is even much for young artists. Intense!
    So rest easy guys, get together once in a while for the hell of it and enjoy a well deserved break. Pretty good run for a bunch of Hosers, eh?
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I've just started reading Neil's new book Far And Wide. Part travelogue, part auto biography and part story of Rush's final tour, really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've just started reading Neil's new book Far And Wide. Part travelogue, part auto biography and part story of Rush's final tour, really enjoying it.
    Does he spend any time talking about the earlier days with Rush, tour stories, etc., anything like that?

neil

Finally got around to watching this tonight. I really enjoyed it. As others have stated, it's a nice love letter to the fans. If they do indeed call it a day, I will miss them but thank goodness I have all the albums to refer back to and enjoy over and over again. I do regret not seeing them on the final tour but at least I saw them on 4 occasions previously.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Does he spend any time talking about the earlier days with Rush, tour stories, etc., anything like that?

neil
    Yes, he touches on it. This book is more about his life with Rush than some of the others

Well I finally got the DVD and watched the main doc. It was very entertaining and sad at the same time. Geddy seems pretty bitter at the ending of the band. The thing is, Neil has not been wanting to tour for years and he has finally put his foot down. As he said he could play Charlie Watts drum parts when he's 71 but he cant play Neil Pearts drum parts!

The answer is simple = Lee-Lifeson-Portnoy plays Rush 2017 World Tour.

Surely Peart should be ok with that?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I saw Rush twice at the Forum (followed by the San Diego show) on the Presto tour, and we were 8th row. I wasn't familiar with "Addicted," but while the songs were okay, the talent onstage was undeniably monstrous, especially Sheehan's. I don't remember anybody booing. A lot of people liked them.

That, he did!
    I love Gilbert and Sheehan. Just not their work in that band save for "Green Tinted Sixties Mind." which they did AFTER their gigs with Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Yeah, certainly wasn't the best tour I saw - that honor goes to the Signals tour, to this day the best show I've ever seen by any band, with 83 radio city a close 2nd.

My affinity for the Presto tour was the impression/excitement that they were starting to go back to a guitar oriented sound. They also brought back part of Xanadu, which was exciting, and while not a top 10 album, presto is underrated, imo.

In hindsight, I can agree that they were in a mid life crisis of sorts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What sucked for me was that I noticed at the time. (Though I was heavily into Dream theater's first album at that time which has to made an impact.)

Wasn't into Rush for the Signals tour (missed a another great on based on the evidence.) but what I love about it was the only '70s songs they played in the roughly 100 minute set were The Trees and and ending set medley of Overture/Temples/Xanadu/La Villa Strangiato/In The Mood.

My guess is that pissed quite a few long-time fans off.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interesting.... why do you say that?

I also didn't know they've said it's one of the best tours they ever had. Also interesting! It will always have a place in my heart and mind, being the first one I saw as a wide-eyed teenager. Looking back on it now, the setlist isn't that spectacular, but at the time there were a couple of surprises. I'll always love Presto.
    I love the Presto songs they did, but (to me) much of the time they looked and sounded like they were on auto-pilot (which is still a good thing to be if you are Rush) The Detroit show that was just released is one of the better performances (Mountain View later in the tour is better still.) But the other shows I went to or have seen didn't seem very inspiring. One of my lasting impressions was that Neil looked "slower" than usual and not very fluid (though he was never really very fluid back then.) He seemed more mechanical than usual. Something...really don't know what..seemed off.

My guess is that they were happier as they weren't trapped behind the equipment for long periods of time and could just play without having to worry about a lot of triggering.

I think their retrospective comments were from the Contents Under Pressure book with has them reminisce about their past, but I could be wrong about that.

Have to admit that the end of Superconductor is a highlight for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yes, he touches on it. This book is more about his life with Rush than some of the others
    It's not a "rock and roll" stories book at all really. It does have more about Rush than most of his books do and I thought his writing has improved on this one too.