Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruined by Steven Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    The thing is-part of Hawkwind's charm is their lack of sounding polished. "Fixing" their sound is not making them sound "better". It makes them sound like Steven "My music tastes are beyond reproach"Wilson masturbated his ego all over the freakin' album.
    I agree, in a sense. I was never a big Hawkwind fan, so I can't comment yay or nay. I'm a big fan of his remixing work, but I think he totally botched Lizard and Islands, while he saved Larks Tongues in Aspic. Not all of them are successful, not all of them are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Simple solution: don't buy any SW remixes. Works every time!
    They shouldn't be allowed to exist, because they do a disservice to and could possibly supplant, the original mix. It's certainly not as simple just not buying them - we should work diligently to obstruct their creation.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It's one of the worst produced albums of all time, IMO. Thin and lifeless. I've never liked the way that record sounds. I hope he's gone and completely reinvented it; that would be killer!
    The MSFL CD sounds great, as does the original vinyl. No need for Steve Wilson to ruin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't expect that you have the MFSL disc, but do you have the original vinyl, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Not to defend Davis, but I think those of us disatisfied with his work have to resign ourselves to the fact that this is the way B, R and C want their music heard.

They could afford anyone to do it but chose Davis - presumably because they were happy with his approach;

They seem to care about their legacy (witness the vast amount of studio doctoring on their live albums).

It's not easy to accept this because I put ATOTT & WaW at the pinnacle of prog and they deserve gold-standard treatment, but there it is. In contrast I don't give a shit about Hawkwind: AFAIAC they could get Melania Trump to remix it. No silk purses from sows ears.
    The tirade I was expecting was from Firth, who usually gives people who don't like those remixes both barrels.

Wilson is at least generally faithful to the spirit of the originals. Those Davis remixes took some massive liberties and- as you say- apparently with the blessing of the band, as the originals have been out of print ever since.

Sorry all. I'm the first one to support criticism in discussion, but the tone used especially by the OP is distasteful and not necessary. And this is going nowhere fast. Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.