Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Fusion of the more Jazzy variety

Kiyomi Otaka - Potos (Third Hand/1999)

Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-26-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: better song
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I just checked out this thread now. I thought the OP was looking for fusion that was more jazz than rock. Nope.

Big fan here of Thundercat, Robert Glasper, Hiatus Kaiyote and BadBadNotGood. Unfamiliar with the rest. Totally into this kind of current fusion stuff.
    I dig this stuff as well, and the Mehliana too. I have the Hiatus Kaiyote CDs, but was unfamiliar with the rest. I don't know if it's jazzier than fusiony fusion, but it has a different aesthetic and vibe that's more ensemble oriented.

I just checked out this thread now. I thought the OP was looking for fusion that was more jazz than rock. Nope.

Big fan here of Thundercat, Robert Glasper, Hiatus Kaiyote and BadBadNotGood. Unfamiliar with the rest. Totally into this kind of current fusion stuff.
    i would say Thundercat, Robert Glasper etc are definitely more jazz than rock? Maybe future jazz is a better way to explain what I'm looking for

^I consider Thundercat more funk/R&B.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

^I consider Thundercat more funk/R&B.
    depends on the track i suppose, he does a variety of stuff, ranging from live jazz fusion to electronic jazz fusion to funk & r&b. a lot of classic fusion bands had funk and r&b stuff as well. his live stuff is particularly fusiony

Last edited by auxfnx; 11-05-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Good band:

this inside//outside album is very good! the bassist from that band actually has a very nice Youtube channel where he discusses a lot of interesting musical theory and such, if anyone is interested! https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5

VDB live

Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-26-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: shhhh...
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Thank you auxfnx for the Hiatus Kaiyote link. Never heard of them, but I love what I hear and want to check out more of this music.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    i would say Thundercat, Robert Glasper etc are definitely more jazz than rock? Maybe future jazz is a better way to explain what I'm looking for
    First off, thank you for starting this thread. I think the Mehliana is excellent and obviously has the well known Brad Mehldau, but that's a nice discovery for me. The thread title/description throws me off a bit as I would not personally think of artists like Thundercat and Robert Glasper based on the description nor mix and match them with something like Mehldau. It feels like the underlying theme to me is an electronic or hip-hop element that seeps into the music. I'll see what I can contribute...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Belgian jazz band with DJ help:

Octurn (also Belgian)

Ben Monder

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

contemporary and jazzier

Tab - Ahoudéoudéboyz (Seahorse/2016)
    Sean Foran - Room with a View (Frame of Reference/2016)
    Diab Quintet - Valse 9 (Seagull Tango/2016)
    The Claudia Quintet - JFK Beagle (Super Petite/2016)
    PJ5 - Scorched Earth (Trees/2016)

The Comet Is Coming (Shabaka Hutchings) - Channel the Spirits (Channel the Spirits/2016)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    as usual, I get carried away. I'll stop altogether if no one is happy with my recs. I think there's at least a couple of good ones in there...cheers
    I'd much rather you carried on, you had some nice suggestions.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Mehliana is just gorgeous.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Another big thumbs up for the Mehliana.Damn, that's good.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Banned

Review by Approgximation
    5 stars Eyot is the 4-man Serbian ensemble crowning a multi-award wining combination that music speaks widely for it's self. Founded as recently as 2008, they have quickly amasses a noble reputation holding a high regard of appraisal. Their third album Similarity from 2014 graciously felt like a transport mechanism to the 'bygone' smoky-bar-room era of sparkly contemporary brass-string Jazz movements, sporting its style in a crisp, rich manner that effectively classifies itself among the overall album content. Though the Jazz aspect dominates the scene as its intended expression, it still gets a fine collaboration of etheric and futuristic sounds from Milenovic to establish almost a Post-Neo modern take. Milenovic seems to get the pacified arena worked up with an array of eerie and spacey measure. Track-2 'Druids' soon makes addition of finely sprinkled Post Rock and 'Mild-Hard Rock' essence in an 'echoy' air, allowing the Jazz to hold its form and that crisp clarity. Even Ilijic's Prog Jazz signature that comes thru on occasion feels contemporary and intentional. Stojiljkovic's bass lines are also a truly classic entwined with signature lines. May bands arrange for a small bass note to vibrate thru, but Stojiljkovic plays a fantastic set clearly audible and well stated stance. Vojvodic's take on the Classic Jazz Drumming scope is something to behold, with fantastic arrangements to simple mood. This fine instrumental album is by no means a complication of matters generally involved with Prog or a unique collection of sound tools which interprets that unique does not necessarily constitute a complex heavy arrangement that can emerge from inventive or improvisational setups. Although Similarity does listen like an arrangement of eight tales in (large) variation, no track complimenting the previous or the next, the emotions are still warm and committed. Ilijic's small nuances with the keys on 10.41 minute track-4 'Similarity' makes the listen personal, like when you have that urge to increase your monitor levels a 'little' more to appreciate the fine technicality. It does sound fantastic louder. All instruments are meticulously (mathematically) played in a variety of styles from classic to contemporary to modern?. Am I feeling a taint of future here, The Chalmun's 'Mos Eisley' Cantina? I'd like to think so. I felt it the four times the album was listened to, evolving with fresh content along side the Jazz. Eyot makes a bold statement about its intent, but does not attempt to barrage or hammer-home its distinctively classy form. Absorbing the rewarding experience of Similarity is one different in the way you would expect normally associated with absorbing high value audio, one is left with a quality reminiscing of classic jazz worked with a modernity. I loved this work. ~Approgximation~ ~ProgNational~

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I'd much rather you carried on, you had some nice suggestions.
    will do!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Senri Kawaguchi playing haphazardly

i.ain't.dead.irock

Last edited by prestonplatform; 11-07-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Banned

One of the best online radio show/podcasts for this is http://www.canvasproductions.net/the-prog-hour

leans heavy

Attention Deficit - The Idiot King (2001) full album

Marbin - Electric Zombieland (Goat Man & The House Of The Dead/2016)
    The Wrong Object - Spanish Fly (After The Exhibition/2013)
    Tyft - Froth (Smell The Difference/2009)
    Tuatara - Afterburner (Trading With The Enemy/1998)
    Logic? - Gavatron (The Hierarchy/2010)
    Red Whale - Sodapop (Queek Egg/1991)

Serious Beak - Huxwhukw (2014) full album...crackin' stuff!

i.ain't.dead.irock

Blue Touch Paper - Attention Seeker (Drawing Breath/2013)

Fabrice Martinez Chut! - P and T (Rebirth/2016)
    Paolo Fresu Devil Quartet - Ambre (Desertico/2013)
    Jean Louis - Zakir (Jean Louis/2008)
    Dotsero - Mission MacGyver (Jubilee/1999)

Ponga - Ponga (1999) full album

i.ain't.dead.irock

if possible, I'd like to keep trudging on here. the topic was somewhat misleading anyways. note to James (auxfnx/Auxiliary Phoenix) and Portuguese guy (Bleak/Amber Foil): if you want to introduce people to your band/music, just try the straight up approach. both of your threads ended up suggesting everyone else. this one prolly should have started out as jazz infused with hip-hop, soul, rock, electronica, funk, etc...it didn't but I wanna keep it going in spite of the topic and hopefully with some suggestions not already mentioned in previous jazz/fusion threads...cheers

Exsimio - Carbono 14 (2005)

Fabrice Martinez Chut ! - Rebirth (Rebirth/2016)...I've gotta pimp this again because it's a fantastic album released earlier this year. it's very much jazzy with an undercurrent of RIO and Avant throughout. it's got a distinct Zeuhlish flavor as well. I can definitely hear it but it's been said before that I have no clue what Zeuhl is. that's cool, we can't all be Christian Vander. regardless, Rebirth will likely be a top 10 for me this year. judge for yourself.

Bad Dog U - Bad Dog U (2004) listen :we should all know by now that Ernie Denov (No Pride) is a fantastic musician. I hope he is getting some well deserved exposure outside of PE touring with Lt. Dan. there might be a few who poke their head in here and not know. Bad Dog U is Ernie's baby and it's a good one. buy it!

Kundalini - Squirrels Nest (Asylum for Astral Travellers/1997)
    The Mystical Why - What About Changes (Owl/2016) video posted above #32
    Karizma - Heavy Resin (Document/2000)
    Dennis Chambers - Nuji (Big City/1991)
    HLMP B - KeefBomb (Won't Give Up/2010)

Schleigho - Sumo (Continent/2000)

Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-13-2016 at 01:27 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    if possible, I'd like to keep trudging on here. the topic was somewhat misleading anyways. note to James (auxfnx/Auxiliary Phoenix) and Portuguese guy (Bleak/Amber Foil): if you want to introduce people to your band/music, just try the straight up approach. both of your threads ended up suggesting everyone else. this one prolly should have started out as jazz infused with hip-hop, soul, rock, electronica, funk, etc...it didn't but I wanna keep it going in spite of the topic and hopefully with some suggestions not already mentioned in previous jazz/fusion threads...cheers

apologies, i tried to describe it as best i could but i guess i am not the best at terminology, hence why i used youtube examples
    no intent of promoting my music in this thread! i have it in my signature but i do that on all the forums i post on.

keep the suggestions coming regardless, it appears this is the kind of fusion most people had imagined on reading the title anyway!