Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Title songs that you don't like

Dylan - John Wesley Harding
    ELP - Love Beach
    Genesis - Abacab, Invisible Touch
    Tull - Too Old
    Yes - Time and a Word, Big Generator
    Last edited by llanwydd; 11-06-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Atom Heart Mother. Not only does the track suck, but it takes up half the album. Which, when you throw in "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", makes this not only Pink Floyd's worst album, but perhaps one of the worst albums by a major classic prog group.
    I couldn't disagree more with pretty much the whole paragraph. In my mind it's a perfect bridge between late psych and early prog. I think the title track is great. It's instrumental so it gets some points right there but it also has an eeriness to it that predates "echoes" on Meddle. I always enjoyed looking at the back cover with the three cows staring at me while listening to it too. Alan's psychedelic breakfast is cool too. I like the whole album. It might be tied with Wish you here for my favorite PF album in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Going for the One. I used to call it Going for the Bass Control Knob. That album is way to screechy and trebly. Now it does have just about THE BEST song Yes has ever done on it but they could tone down on the fingernails on the chalkboard treble.

Maybe Steven Wilson will remix GFTO. I'd buy that in a minute.
    Sadly true. And in the spirit of this thread, I think it's mostly apparent on the title track. Secondly, the big ending to "Turn of the Century" and then "Parallels". "Wondrous Stories" and "Awaken" seem better, IMO.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

"Breathless" by Camel

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Alan's psychedelic breakfast is cool too.
    There are some nice bits in this song.. Love Rick's piano playing

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    First one that came to mind for me.
    Same here. Jethro Tull is pretty good at this:

War Child
    Too Old
    Heavy Horses (the only duff track on an otherwise great album, IMO)
    Under Wraps
    Dot Com

I was never sold on Uriah Heep's The Magician's Birthday. It's an attempt to recapture the magic of the previous album's 'Paradise/The Spell' but falls short, relying on daft showboating (a long and tedious guitar solo from Mick Box) and gimmickery. The album was rushed after the success of Demons And Wizards- it even came out in the same year- and I think this title track and 'Spider Woman' are below-par. The rest holds up, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Same here. Jethro Tull is pretty good at this:

War Child
    Too Old
    Heavy Horses (the only duff track on an otherwise great album, IMO)
    Under Wraps
    Dot Com
    I don't like Too Old, but I love War Child, and Heavy Horses is very good. Haven't heard the other two (the acoustic Under Wraps is pretty nice).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Going For The One kind of sucks
    Yeah, it's one of the weaker songs on the album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I do like G4the1 because i like the vocal melody and Jon's "they actual make-sense" lyrics. The end of the song with the "tender timing" part does go on a little too long for me (just when you think it will resolve, nope, another round), but you can feel the tension because of Howe's table steel. The release at the end of the song, where Howe's table steel actually sounds good is great. But i find the song just very cluttered. Just a lot of frequencies competiting against each other. I have a lot of difficulty hearing Wakeman (and his piano) sometimes. I would to get the master and do my own mix.

I'm hoping eventually, artists or record companies will sell the multi-tracks so you can make your own versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I do like G4the1 because i like the vocal melody and Jon's "they actual make-sense" lyrics. The end of the song with the "tender timing" part does go on a little too long for me (just when you think it will resolve, nope, another round), but you can feel the tension because of Howe's table steel. The release at the end of the song, where Howe's table steel actually sounds good is great. But i find the song just very cluttered. Just a lot of frequencies competiting against each other. I have a lot of difficulty hearing Wakeman (and his piano) sometimes. I would to get the master and do my own mix.

I'm hoping eventually, artists or record companies will sell the multi-tracks so you can make your own versions.
    Yeah, the busyness of the keys and table steel competing against each other is a bit of a sign of what was to come on the following album.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Interesting... I had no idea that "Going For The One" (the song) was so controversial. I've always really liked it, even if the outro goes on a little too long. I just assumed (mistakenly) that it was widely considered a classic great Yes track, but it seems it's not a simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting... I had no idea that "Going For The One" (the song) was so controversial. I've always really liked it, even if the outro goes on a little too long. I just assumed (mistakenly) that it was widely considered a classic great Yes track, but it seems it's not a simple as that.
    That's news to me as well. I also like it and didn't know it's controversial. I always thought Tormato was the controversial album.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
     I always thought Tormato was the controversial album.
    There is nothing contraversial about Tormato.

We unanimously dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's news to me as well. I also like it and didn't know it's controversial. I always thought Tormato was the controversial album.

Well, I'm too lazy to re-read my posts, but all I've got against the GFTO track is mainly Steve Howe's annoying steel thing, mainly because it's overly present. I kind of like Jon's tirade at the end (Touching Touch Tile, etc....), but it's over)riden by Howe's choice of "guitar" sonics. It's also another tune on the album that has that same cringe-inducing sound, but I can't say whether it's TofC or Parallels, neither of which do anything to me, anyways. I guess I grew sick of Wonderous Stories (which sounds like a wanker kid melody to my ears) because I had to play it with the album's only stunning track Awaken.
    I'd even say that the track GFTO could be my second fave on the album, and if the album sounds so weak to me, it's partly because when I played the CD (it was a gift, I'd probably not own the album if I hadn't received it), it's because I tend to wait (mostly bored) until Awaken finally comes up (at frigging last). I'd probably have liked the album more if Awaken had been on the A-side, though I suspect I'd have popped the album out of my deck after Awaken a lot.

As for Tormato, I don't think it's any lesser or better than Awaken. I'd even say that there are more tracks that do something to me than on GFTO (I really like Don't Kill The Whale) but it lacks a stunner like Awaken (and of course that horrible artwork). Soooo I always thought that Tormato was unfairly maligned, especially compared to GFTO's relative weakness. As if Yesheads had to signify or accentuate the band's slide out of greatness by judging Tormato even more severily than GFTO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Going for the One (the song) is tremendous. The way it builds to the final line ("Talk about sending love....") and the steel guitar comes in and soars of into the stratosphere does it for me every time.

However I agree with whoever mentioned Trick of the Tail. Plodding tune with ridiculous lyrics...lets down the album badly.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    There is nothing contraversial about Tormato.

We unanimously dislike it.
    Yep. Gotta go with the crowd on this one. I remember looking at the cover and thinking "This is a YES album?"