Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage receivers/amps/separates

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I live in Richmond Annex. We're practically neighbors.
    Well, I’m in Marin Co. right now, but we’re still pretty close.

Here’s a re-up of that Tascam cassette deck picture. I can only imagine how much this would have run me if I actually paid money for it!

IMG_20170106_145815.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I bought an old Pioneer amp/tuner a few months ago. This friend found it for me with a couple of Bose speakers. Have no idea how old this setup is but I'd guess from the late 80s or early 90s. All I need is an old, standalone CD system. I'm currently using a cheap DVD player as my CD player. Um, it's loud and punchy. The house vibrates when I crank it. I paid a hunnert dollars for the whole shebang. I'm sure with a good turntable it would sound even better but I'm not about to start buying vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I bought an old Pioneer amp/tuner a few months ago. This friend found it for me with a couple of Bose speakers. Have no idea how old this setup is but I'd guess from the late 80s or early 90s. All I need is an old, standalone CD system. I'm currently using a cheap DVD player as my CD player. Um, it's loud and punchy. The house vibrates when I crank it. I paid a hunnert dollars for the whole shebang. I'm sure with a good turntable it would sound even better but I'm not about to start buying vinyl.
    Not to worry.

Most thrift stores have bins and bins of vinyl.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I loved my Revox A77 back then too (BOTH of them). And my TEAC A-3340S.

But that was back then. Today newer technology has totally made reel machines obsolete. Digital is exponentially better in every regard.
    But wasn't there a scientific test conducted by a PE member that proved the sound of an analog tape was superior to even a hi-rez digital recording? I thought I remembered reading a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I keed, I keed

I remembered my brother's R2R sounding great but yeah, a tedious format. I remember that there was a few different versions as well. Did they ever make an R2R that was compatible to all the different tape speeds? A few years ago I did spend some time playing with a R2R player from the early '70s. It sounded ok - it was a 3.75 IPS speed; it didn't sound any better than my cassettes, to me anyway. I've heard 7.5 IPS that sounded good but never thought it sounded better than CD. As an archival device to save wear and tear on vinyl before the advent of digital recording it was probably better than cassettes but as you mentioned, fidgety, and if I wanted something portable I'd still need a good home cassette deck and quality cassettes.

Still, I like to tinker with older technology just out nostalgia. People are always so surprised at how good older technology sounds, when it's properly implemented. The problem with a lot of older formats was usually execution, equipment and care more than the medium itself. Not that I'm suggesting a price point or anything. I'll never spend a bunch of money on audio or video systems; I'd rather use the money for more music.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    if you could find some excellent deals on vinyl and a decent rig then why not, if it's what you want to do. As far as sound quality goes, that's subjective. I'm not clannish or tribal when comes to formats. In audio, it's OK to keep a harem. It's OK to own and play vinyl or CD or both, just cuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Well, I’m in Marin Co. right now, but we’re still pretty close.

Here’s a re-up of that Tascam cassette deck picture. I can only imagine how much this would have run me if I actually paid money for it!

IMG_20170106_145815.jpg
    Maybe it wouldn't be as expensive as you think, but try doing a search for your favorite premium quality blank cassettes. Go ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Maybe it wouldn't be as expensive as you think, but try doing a search for your favorite premium quality blank cassettes. Go ahead...
    All I really need it for is so that I have something to play my existing cassettes on, should I need to transfer them. My days of recording to cassette are long gone. I have no idea if the record function on this works at all. It plays. That is all I care about.

I am rather curious about reel-to-reel tapes, but as I understand it, it’s a very expensive format (between the cost of the tapes, maintenance on the decks, etc.) and probably not worth the headache.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...