Thread: Ken Hensley !

Ken Hensley !

Any Ken Hensley fans who are familiar with his work outside of Uriah Heep ?
    I have Proud Words & Eager to Please. Which other albums & DVD's should I check out ?

Take Running Blind. Some nice stuff there. There's also an anthology, called From Time To Time, some rare old tunes on this one.
    But let me assure you, you have his best 2 albums.

Not familiar with KH's solo work, but a bit of prog trivia for those who don't know. Eirikur Hauksson, who (at least as of 2010) was/is the lead vox and lead guitarist in KH's road band, is also rhythm guitarist and lead vocalist for Magic Pie (replaced Allan Olsen before The Suffering Joy).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

meimjustalawnmower
    Nobody wants to be reminded of this, I'm sure...

Seiously tho, Hensley's first two solo albums are awesome, and there's no denying that he was the leader of Heep back in the day. Used to love reading his liner notes on the album covers. Proud Words On A Dusty Shelf graced my turntable for many an hour.

Get Genesis and To Samuel a Son by The Gods

Reason i posted this was because i recently heard a song called The Last Dance on the radio ...it reminded me of the early classic UH period !

I like his fairly recent album Blood on the Highway. It's something of an autobiography of his career, and has Jorn Lande on a couple of tracks. Good stuff, if you are into AOR.

The first Toe Fat album is good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Nobody wants to be reminded of this, I'm sure...
    Ohhh, that "Teenage Idol" abomination. Still on airplay in classic rock stations locally.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I have Proud Words & Eager to Please. Which other albums & DVD's should I check out ?
    You don't need any other.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Have now the Last Dance & it exceeded my expectations. Better than Prouds Words & Eager to Please !

He was on W.A.S.P.'s The Headless Children album. Also on Inside The Electric Circus (the previous album), the band did a cover of Easy Living on which Ken played organ.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Rufus, the 2 spaces go after a punctuation mark, not before one.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Rufus, the 2 spaces go after a punctuation mark, not before one.
    You try typing on a midget phone keyboard ! I'M doin just fine thank you !

I quite like his recent 'Ken Hensley & Live Wire-Faster' release. Real good melodic hard rock, very Heep-ish. He's got a very solid band with him now.

Ken did not play on Wasp's version of Easy Livin. He did do demos for The Crimson Idol, but did not appear on the finished album.

I like quite a bit on Ken's Free Spirit - his first post-Heep album. From Time To Time is a must -- loads of great old outtakes, demos, and guests like Kossoff. since his comeback, The Last Dance was pretty good, as was Running Blind. Blood On The Highway was outstanding, and his latest 'Trouble' is one of my faves [probably the closest to latter day heavy metal he's done].

Running Blind is good, I agree. But the most valuable input he did for UH. His best music is there, in Heep albums.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    You don't need any other.
    Has anyone here got the 'Weed' album Ken did in 1971? He wrote, sang, and played keyboards and guitar on it. outstanding rarity! Look it up.