Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD: Art Zoyd - Phase IV

Hate to interrupt the love-fest for this album, but it's no secret that I found it (and the following, "Les espaces inquiets") a huge let-down, after the first 3 proper albums. To my ears , they were on their way to a different sound and approach, but wouldn't perfect it until the very excellent albums, "Marriage of Heaven & Hell" (especially) and "Berlin".

Page 3!
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Hate to interrupt the love-fest for this album, but it's no secret that I found it (and the following, "Les espaces inquiets") a huge let-down, after the first 3 proper albums. To my ears , they were on their way to a different sound and approach, but wouldn't perfect it until the very excellent albums, "Marriage of Heaven & Hell" (especially) and "Berlin".
    I prefer Les Espaces and Phase IV, personally to Symphonie. *Especially* compositionally, as the playing on Symphonie is amazing, but the compositions aren't what they would be able to do later.

imo.

so take *that*, Mr Pencil.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 11-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    mmm.. yes we all know you need to be controversial
    Phase IV a huge let down

But seriously For me both Les espaces inquiets and Berlin couldn't follow the towering achievements of Phase IV and Marriage of Heaven & Hell

Here's how I would rank the first eight (including both versions of Symphonie...):

1. Generation...
    2. Les espaces...
    3. Phase IV
    4. Marriage...
    5. Symphonie...(1980)
    6. Musique...
    7. Symphonie...(1976)
    8. Berlin
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

^Compared to just about every other band or ensemble I can think of, that's either way a pretty darn impressive string to show for in the span of a decade - or, indeed, a mere eight years (between Musique and Berlin).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I’m a big fan of this album, it is probably my favorite one together with “Generation Sans Futur”. I’m happy that years ago I’ve managed to spend some serious bucks on the Japanese cd editions of their first five albums (via ReR, in this case). They are beautiful editions boasting excellent sound. Then later I’ve also picked up the Japanese versions of the two albums that follow Phase IV, “Les Spaces Inquiets” and “Marriage etc.”, which are also very good. Somehow I’ve never managed to listen to Berlin and the following albums released under their name.