Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anglagard Live DVD/Blu-Ray Coming

My blu ray won't play either, but I assume it is because my player is an older machine. I had issues with some non-US discs before; the Radiohead King of Limbs from the Basement blu-ray loads but the actual video is blacked out. When I spoke to their support, it was apparently some sort of frame rate issue that they knew about.

The DVD is either PAL or a non-US region...it plays fine in my region-free/PAL-to-NTSC player without issue.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I can watch the DVD on my computer. At least that's something, but hardly ideal, and hardly worth the price I paid for this thing...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is the BD ONLY sold packaged with a DVD? I'm not exactly sure what I bought on CTTE, as I haven't opened it, but it's in a Blu-Ray case and it feels like there's just one disk in it.

Same issue as the IQ and Big Big Train blu-ray discs. Filmed at 25fps. Sony won't play it. Oppo will.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is the BD ONLY sold packaged with a DVD? I'm not exactly sure what I bought on CTTE, as I haven't opened it, but it's in a Blu-Ray case and it feels like there's just one disk in it.
    As far as I know, they're all DVD/Blu Ray sets. Of course, you could always open it and find out...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Same issue as the IQ and Big Big Train blu-ray discs. Filmed at 25fps. Sony won't play it. Oppo will.
    My Panasonic won't either. Well, now I know not to order that IQ one. Maybe next time I'll get an Oppo.

Ahhh well, things could be worse. I still got to see the thing, just had to watch it on the computer instead.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Can't afford on Oppo. Anything else that will play these?

People who ordered directly from the band have received this mail, which might answer some questions:

Dear Änglagård fan:

We (The band and myself) have been made aware of some rumors circulating and spreading over social media, claiming that some discs shipped have been defective, or that the street date is unknown because of discs being defective. We want to address this and put the confusion to rest.

Änglagård has a history of ALWAYS stand behind its fans, and this isn’t going to change now. Truth is we faced issues with the manufacturing, due to TIME CONSTRAINTS and the band's inherent aim for the best quality. Due to that the street date was never made, but I have been shipping discs to every corner of the world for the past 8 days, and MANY have received their orders already.

NONE and I mean NONE of the discs in our hands is defective. They have being thoroughly tested to ensure that. The rumors are being spread around by wholesale people who have promised their customers with shipping dates they cannot commit with, simply because they HAVEN'T PAID us yet even when they listed the discs in their online shops already. And since we haven't received their payment they have nothing to ship to those placing the order with them. It's always easier to lie and blame someone else for you own wrongdoings.

I want to also include a couple of noteworthy details:

1. The menu in the DVD and the Blu Ray are DIFFERENT. Don't believe there's something wrong with your Blu Ray because they don't look alike. In the Blu Ray you can use the pop-up menu button on your remote to access the audio and song-list while you press PLAY CONCERT.

2. While this set was authored and manufactured in the US, it was filmed at 1080p and 25fps (frames per second). The DVD were authored in NTSC and 25 fps. For the Blu Ray there's no NTSC or PAL, it is simply high definition content, but it is also 25 fps. For all the customers outside US and Canada this has absolutely no importance. Most of the US Blu Ray machines can handle the conversion to the US standard 24fps perfectly fine. A small group will not, so if want to be extra careful, just make sure your machine can handle the conversion before placing the order. A quick Internet search will give you the precise answer. In case your Blu Ray machine encounter issues while playing the Blu Ray disc, you can contact me at joe@anglagardfanclub.com and we'll take it from there.

PLEASE, spread this information around to shut down the panic all the incorrect statements is generating...

Thanks to all of you for your continuous support!

Joel

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My blu-ray disc will not play. Shows the legal warning at the beginning, then gets all static-y and freezes up. Never had this happen before. Guess I'll just play the DVD.

EDIT: Scratch that, the DVD also won't play. Great.
    I'm expecting mine soon. I can't believe they can't produce a DVD that plays on North American DVD players. This is a HUGE disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm expecting mine soon. I can't believe they can't produce a DVD that plays on North American DVD players. This is a HUGE disappointment.
    I think the DVDs work ok, it's the Blu-Ray that some can't play.

Well, the DVDs work as long as you have a region-free/PAL playable device. So it wasn't exactly produced primarily for the North American market.

On the flip side...I can't imagine that demand for an "Anglagard Live 2015" release is sufficiently high to warrant manufacturing two different versions. Not intended as a slam, just acknowledging the very, very reduced audience for physical releases of this sort.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Like I said, the DVD didn't work for me. Normally I can watch the different region discs by using a 'hack' of hitting STOP and then TOP MENU, which bypasses the menu altogether and starts playing the main content, but in this case it just kept spinning and not allowing me to do anything. But by inserting the disc in the computer and double-clicking the actual .VOB files, I was able to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Like I said, the DVD didn't work for me. Normally I can watch the different region discs by using a 'hack' of hitting STOP and then TOP MENU, which bypasses the menu altogether and starts playing the main content, but in this case it just kept spinning and not allowing me to do anything. But by inserting the disc in the computer and double-clicking the actual .VOB files, I was able to watch it.
    I wish the seller put a warning for NA users that the DVD does not play. I never would have paid good money for something I can only watch on my laptop. Very disappointing.

You can try putting the disc into your computer, and then copying the VOB files onto the computer. Then, a simple, free and legal program like Handbrake, can convert them to mp4 format, and if you have a new enough TV, you could put the files onto a USB key and play it that way. You could also use something like Nero, to burn your own DVD with the mp4's, also.

neil

Thanks Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well, the DVDs work as long as you have a region-free/PAL playable device. So it wasn't exactly produced primarily for the North American market.
    When you say a "region free device," do you mean that the DVDs are made to only play in specific regions, and that they are not Region 0 (all regions)? Or can some DVD players not handle Region 0 DVDs? I understand about the PAL playable part, just asking about the region coding.

Sorry some people are having trouble with recent releases - you'd think since the countries and manufacturers involved couldn't standardize, that at least the prog community would have standardized!

I know that OPPO players are kind of pricy compared to a lot of others. Anyone know what's the least expensive DVD player that can do PAL conversion and play reqion 0 DVDs AND BDs? Maybe we, the prog community, should try to let people know so if they don't want to spring for an OPPO they can still buy a player that will play all these releases.

I have an OPPO, which is good because I bought the Anglagard release on CTTE so it's an "undocumented" purchase!

Yeah, I plunked down 30 bucks on the Cruise. Wish I'd known it would be for a couple coasters!

I have an LG BluRay player, cost less than the Oppo and it plays PAL Dvds, as well as every BluRay, DVD, or CD I've thrown at it so far. But I don't know if it will play a BluRay shot at 25 fps. Will look into it.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

When you say a "region free device," do you mean that the DVDs are made to only play in specific regions, and that they are not Region 0 (all regions)? Or can some DVD players not handle Region 0 DVDs? I understand about the PAL playable part, just asking about the region coding.

Sorry some people are having trouble with recent releases - you'd think since the countries and manufacturers involved couldn't standardize, that at least the prog community would have standardized!

I know that OPPO players are kind of pricy compared to a lot of others. Anyone know what's the least expensive DVD player that can do PAL conversion and play reqion 0 DVDs AND BDs? Maybe we, the prog community, should try to let people know so if they don't want to spring for an OPPO they can still buy a player that will play all these releases.

I have an OPPO, which is good because I bought the Anglagard release on CTTE so it's an "undocumented" purchase!
    Honestly, I'm not sure what scenario is in play here, whether it is Region 2/0/anything but 1. I tried to play the DVD on my Blu Ray player and got the obligatory "cannot play" message promptly. I switched to my "plays most anything from around the world" Panasonic DVD player and boom, it worked without an issue.

According to my research, so far, it looks like for a BluRay disc there are two potential issues: Region compatability, and the 50 hz vs 60hz / 24 fpi/25fpi differences.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Guess I'm going to need to research my Blue Ray players capabilities before ordering this. Hopefully one of them can do it. My PC will certainly be able to play the DVD, but that's not really ideal.

Why are there different regions/etc with BR and DVDs anyway?

From the fan-club:

Yes, some US Blu Ray are very picky and will refuse to play the discs… That’s one of the reasons why I want to film their RoSfest performance this year in the US, it’ll be a 29.97 fps discs.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Why are there different regions/etc with BR and DVDs anyway?
    When DVDs first appeared, and dating back to the pre-digital era with the added charm of Pal/Secam/NTSC video standards, us here in the "old world" used to have (mostly US) films a few months after the US. Zone 1 (North America) DVDs tended to appear as imports while or before films were coming out, and making Zone 1 DVDs unplayable on DVD players ensured that they had little sales potential, and that the eventual European (Zone 2) versions wouldn't lose too many sales.

Nowadays, releases are often simultaneous in all parts of the world, as things like dubbing/sub-titling for the non-English-speaking markets are undertaken ahead of the release, so the very existence of Zone 1/2/etc. DVDs no longer makes much sense.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

No luck on my ten year old Sony DVD Blu-Ray player.
    Why would my computer DVD player refuse to read the disk?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    No luck on my ten year old Sony DVD Blu-Ray player.
    Why would my computer DVD player refuse to read the disk?
    Your PC won't play the DVD?

Tried the BD on my OPPO last night and it worked fine. As I expected.