Thread: Fish remasters

Fish remasters

Has anyone heard the recent Fish remasters (Sunsets, Raingods, Fellini)? I'm curious if they are worth it. To be honest I think the originals sound pretty decent, but the expanded booklets and artwork is tempting.

Any reviews?

Thanks!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Has anyone heard the recent Fish remasters (Sunsets, Raingods, Fellini)? I'm curious if they are worth it. To be honest I think the originals sound pretty decent, but the expanded booklets and artwork is tempting.

Any reviews?

Thanks!
    To be honest, I haven't really assessed the quality of the remasters. But the packages themselves are very nice, with new liner notes, expanded artwork, and the extra tracks, which range from very interesting to nice to have gathered all in one place.

Fish just posted on FB that he finished the notes for A Field of Crows, so that one should be out soonish, and maybe another one? Or is that the last? I forget.

You might want to read this thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...t=fish+reissue

Ah thanks! I was looking for a thread like that.

This is timely, I just got in the mood for Fish and pulled Vigil from the CD rack. Next time I'm flush I'll have to get some of the reissues.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I haven't gone down that road yet and when I do it will be the 4th time. I'm in it for the bonus material and the artwork. At this point, I don't care if it sounds better because I'll have the other versions to fall back on.

The eons are closing
    I saw the Sunsets package and I am reaaaaally having a difficult time not purchasing. The original in QSound (like Waters' Amused to Death) sounds awesome. Its the xtra anoraky goodies that call to me.....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I saw the Sunsets package and I am reaaaaally having a difficult time not purchasing. The original in QSound (like Waters' Amused to Death) sounds awesome. Its the xtra anoraky goodies that call to me.....
    I bought Sunsets remaster and am disappointed with the sound quality. The live material is nice to have but
    the studio album itself is more compressed than the originals. Hearing the demos with Wilson is cool but
    after a couple listens I've shelved that. But the original studio master trumps this remaster IMO.

The eons are closing
    Thank you!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromscene24 View Post
    I bought Sunsets remaster and am disappointed with the sound quality. The live material is nice to have but
    the studio album itself is more compressed than the originals. Hearing the demos with Wilson is cool but
    after a couple listens I've shelved that. But the original studio master trumps this remaster IMO.
    Good to know. The artwork, demos and live stuff will have to be enough then since I've already got the previous releases.

Orcopian
    I've got raingods it's a really nice package with some excellent live and demo versions of the plague of ghosts cycle, also the sleeve notes are a good read overall it was well worth the money. I have looked at all the re-releases and I thought that the extras on this one were better overall than the others.

Does anyone else concur with guyfromscene24 about the sound on the remaster of Raingods? Would like the new package but wouldn't be happy with worse sound...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "