Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pink Floyd's Meddle at 45

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    That is commonly referred to as the "Piltdown Man" (of Scottish influence) section or solo.
    "Commonly"? I've heard the grunting section of "Tubular Bells" called that, but never heard it applied to "Echoes."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^Me neither.

It was great that Rick Wright got to play that track again on his final tour with Gilmour, and indeed the Royal Albert Hall show also had one of David Bowie's last live performances too. Those were wonderful shows, thankfully caught for posterity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Me neither.

It was great that Rick Wright got to play that track again on his final tour with Gilmour, and indeed the Royal Albert Hall show also had one of David Bowie's last live performances too. Those were wonderful shows, thankfully caught for posterity.
    I was at the show at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was great to see Rick play/sing that night. The highlight was Echoes.

First time I heard Meddle, or more specifically Echoes, was when a local radio station was playing a weekend of British powerhouses. Usually it was The Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones and The Who. This time they also include Pink Floyd. After being out all night, I came in and settled in the basement for a late night snack which I shared with my dog. Being a PF fan with my introduction to PF was Dark Side from my older brother. I had got the next four albums. Knew nothing about the band before Dark Side. Anyway, on came 'Echoes'. I was completely amazed and stunned at this piece of work. After it was over, I was shocked and just said 'Wow'. I had never heard anything like it before. The DJ left a pause and then said the same thing. I guess we are both not literary giants. Luckily and eventually he got around to announcing what album it came from and the name of the track. I went out and bought the album the next day and worked backwards thru their catalog in short order.

I originally didn't care for 'One of These Days' but I love that track now. 'Pillow' and 'Fearless' were never more than OK for me, but I always enjoyed Seamus and San Tropez a lot. I little bit of fun that PF never really displayed. BTW, my dog passed away about 6 months later and my family got another dog. His name, 'Seamus'!

The reason I love Meddle is that it's the most (and only?) emotionally "up" Pink Floyd album. It starts off menacing with One of these Days but then you have Pillow Of Winds (blissful), Fearless (grand, inspiring), San Tropez (romantic, whimsical), Seamus (funny) and Echoes (all of the above, minus funny but with menacing added back in). Most of those just aren't moods you find on a Floyd album. It was the one that converted me to them and in a lot of ways it's still my favorite.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The reason I love Meddle is that it's the most (and only?) emotionally "up" Pink Floyd album. It starts off menacing with One of these Days but then you have Pillow Of Winds (blissful), Fearless (grand, inspiring), San Tropez (romantic, whimsical), Seamus (funny) and Echoes (all of the above, minus funny but with menacing added back in). Most of those just aren't moods you find on a Floyd album. It was the one that converted me to them and in a lot of ways it's still my favorite.
    Yeah, they are hitting lots of highs, but you don't have the darkness and alienation that comes later. Good call.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yep. I think 'A Pillow of Winds' will always be my favorite Floyd tune, just hits close to home

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    AHM was the band's best album (whether with or without Syd) before Meddle came out.
    umm... Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is pure filler waste
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Commonly"? I've heard the grunting section of "Tubular Bells" called that, but never heard it applied to "Echoes."
    Me neither. 'Piltdown Man' doesn't seem particularly Scottish to me, and I'm Scottish.

Maybe he's thinking of 'Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict'? Although, Picts and Scots are not the same thing.