Thread: Chicago Replace Longtime Singer and Bassist Jason Scheff

Chicago Replace Longtime Singer and Bassist Jason Scheff

Chicago singer and bassist Jason Scheff, who took over for Peter Cetera before 1986’s Chicago 18, has apparently left the band. He had been on a leave of absence from the band for a few months for "family health reasons". Singer/Songwriter Jeff Coffey who had been touring in Jason's place was announced as his permanent replacement:

Chicago would like to officially welcome bassist / vocalist Jeff Coffey to the band! Jeff has been touring with Chicago in recent months, filling in for long-time member Jason Scheff.

We are so grateful to Jason for the enormous contribution he has made to Chicago over the last 30 plus years. Everyone wishes him and his family all the best as he continues his musical journey.

I don't follow the band closely, but it seems that back in May 2016, Jason Scheff posted: "Hello dear friends, I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your understanding and respectfulness of my privacy during these challenging times due to family health reasons. And to address any of the rumors floating around, I make it a personal policy to not respond to silly and crazy things. Just to make things clear, I'm not leaving the band. We're in the middle of a pretty great run and I'm having the time of my life. Other than that we're all hanging in there. Thank you again for your respectfulness."

Shortly thereafter, it was announced that Jason would be a judge on a new music competition TV series called American Supergroup.

Jason did a great job in Chicago with big shoes to fill. He was a fine bassist and singer. He was involved on a couple of Billy Sherwood's projects. He took on Cetera's role and nailed it. All the while putting his own stamp on the band. I hope the new guy is of the same caliber.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

What is the shelf life of a high tenor anyway? Sorta saw this coming....

always hated chicago, 25 or 6 to 4 was cool the first 53 times I heard it, after that it was boring, not a fan of horn bands at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    always hated chicago, 25 or 6 to 4 was cool the first 53 times I heard it, after that it was boring, not a fan of horn bands at all!
    Well, thank you for your contribution.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, thank you for your contribution.
    you know what they say about assholes and opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    you know what they say about assholes and opinions
    ...and too bad about Jason, he had a great run with the band.

Interesting that he was in the band about twice as long as Peter Cetera was. I think he was in the band longer than Bill Champlin, too, and certainly longer than of the guitarists.

His replacement is really impressive. Check out the YouTube videos.
    Last edited by the winter tree; 10-31-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Chicago were great in the early years with Terry Kath. Saw them on tour with Earth, Wind and Fire ten+ years ago. All the hits. Very boring. Not for me, but it is for lots of other folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent heard anything from Chicago for probably 30 years. I still love the early albums (up through 10), but anything after that? I think its just a bandwidth issue. Chicago was in a class all by itself. Oh - just thought of Tower of Power - I Love all their early albums too. I havent heard anything from the later Chicago. I listened to about 10 seconds of the remake of 25 or 6 to 4 - I had to laugh.

If I get the chance, perhaps I'll listen to a later Chicago album, but I doubt its anything like the original.

Chicago died the same exact day Terry Kath did.
    The Prog Corner

The most recent album which came out a couple of years ago was at least aiming at a vintage Chicago sound. There were a couple of poppier tunes but they came close to hitting the vibe on a few tracks that recalled the classic sound.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Interesting that he was in the band about twice as long as Peter Cetera was. I think he was in the band longer than Bill Champlin, too, and certainly longer than of the guitarists.
    Champlin was in the band with Cetera. Schaffer replaced Cetera. Nice run, they both were very good.

Champlin was in the band approximately 1982 to 2008, Scheff 1986 to 2016, so Scheff was there a bit longer.

I just looked on Wiki to see if all the original horn players were still in the band (they are)--but I noticed that they also have a trio of horn players listed as "touring musicians." Does that mean they replace the originals for live work, or do they expand the horn section?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I think each horn player has a backup. The sax player uses his the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    The most recent album which came out a couple of years ago was at least aiming at a vintage Chicago sound. There were a couple of poppier tunes but they came close to hitting the vibe on a few tracks that recalled the classic sound.

Bill
    The album Now Chicago XXXVI was definitely a welcome surprise. There are more Robert Lamm tracks then there has been in a long time. The horn section is prominent on a bunch of tracks too. It won't make you forget the albums from the 70's but it is a very good album.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I havent heard anything from Chicago for probably 30 years. I still love the early albums (up through 10), but anything after that? I think its just a bandwidth issue. Chicago was in a class all by itself. Oh - just thought of Tower of Power - I Love all their early albums too. I havent heard anything from the later Chicago. I listened to about 10 seconds of the remake of 25 or 6 to 4 - I had to laugh.

If I get the chance, perhaps I'll listen to a later Chicago album, but I doubt its anything like the original.
    Like the 80s versions of Yes, Genesis, Kansas if you are expecting it to sound anything like their 70s heydays, you are going to be disappointed. But more so with Chicago, which became a vehicle for Cetera. Very little ensemble work, guitar very low in the mix. Heck, they even replaced Seraphine with a drum machine.