Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins on Jimmy Fallon Live now

Phil Collins on Jimmy Fallon Live now

Prolly a few minutes away, just noticed the listing. NBC-TV, west coasters have a few hours to go.

Edit- Well, Phil sounded great but looked like he could barely move and seemed to be writhing in pain at times. The Roots, with Daryl Steurmer on guitar were his band.
    ?uestlove nailed the classic drum part.
    Last edited by Obscured; 10-26-2016 at 12:39 AM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

which song?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Prolly a few minutes away, just noticed the listing. NBC-TV, west coasters have a few hours to go.

Edit- Well, Phil sounded great but looked like he could barely move and seemed to be writhing in pain at times. The Roots, with Daryl Steurmer on guitar were his band.
    Yea, he really looks stiff. I don't think turning the collar up on his polo shirt was a good idea as it makes him look even stiffer. His voice seems to still be in good shape, but man pulling off a whole concert in the physical shape he appears to be in? Won't be like the old days.......

My god that video was fantastic. He's singing incredibly well.

If it wasn't you I'd think you're being sarcastic. He's singing OK, I mean he's mostly in tune but there's just no power in his voice and none of that raspiness and aggression (for lack of a better word) in the high notes that makes the original recording (and a lot of his other stuff in the 80s) sound so passionate. Though to be fair he lost that at least 15 years ago.

Banned
    The Roots drummer was impressive on that video, actually a lot of focus on him.

Banned

Phil Collins on Jimmy Fallon Live now

On Monday night, Fallon joked with Questlove (drummer) about the fact the camera was going to be on Quest. Quest said he was losing sleep over the performance. He did nail it though.
    Last edited by Firth; 10-26-2016 at 06:54 AM.

After spending time on the ARW thread, this seems to me a bit like Trevor Rabin-esque deja-vu, i.e. an older musician who hasn't played live for a number of years going out to perform the iconic music he's connected with and subjecting himself to the obvious criticisms that are bound to ensue. My take is that he sounds pretty great for a 65-year-old. Admittedly it's kind of a hard proposition for people so familiar with Phil's music to expect these 2016 renditions to match up to the originals from 35 years ago, but in fairness I think he's doing it as well as he can, and it will probably get better once he gets deeper into his 2017 tour. Yes, there isn't nearly the power in his voice that there used to be, and it's slightly pitchy in spots, but once he gets his stage legs back again, the mojo will undoubtedly return in some form. It's never going to be the same as it was in 1981, but I for one appreciate that Phil is out there again. P. Collins is one of my all-time favorite musicians. I love the man!

His book is pretty damn good, too, by the way, and way better than I expected. I just got it on audiobook on its release date of 10/25 (he narrates it himself). Highly recommended for Genesis and Phil fans!
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 10-26-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Not a bad performance at all, but very concerning seeing him when the song was over. I had hope that he could return to performing, in some capacity, but watching that video, I'm not so sure now.

Didn't realize that he narrated the audiobook. Sounds like one to check out. Thanks, KB!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I am happy he is back (if he is happy and enjoying himself - based on the videos I've seen I'm not 100% sure of that) and hope he will enjoy the tour and having his son along.

I understand jumping back into playing live will not be easy after taking several years off, especially as he's had health issues. Age in itself is not good enough as an excuse - just look at Jon Anderson (72 with his own fair share of health issues) or Peter Gabriel (66). I'm not even comparing their energy level or stage performance, just purely the singing. To me JA and PG have lost a lot less of what made them great singers and I can listen to them sing their classic material without cringing.

Anyway, I hope Phil gets better vocally and physically, though for me even if he gets back to say his First Final Farewell tour shape that's still not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    If it wasn't you I'd think you're being sarcastic. He's singing OK, I mean he's mostly in tune but there's just no power in his voice
    Wow, I really disagree - I think he's sounding incredibly strong, but I'm responding more to the emotion he's conveying - to me this rendition feels really connected to the lyric, and his phrasing is beautiful. Agreed that he's clearly not as physically strong as in his heyday but he's compensating for that really smartly, and I didn't hear anything out of tune - I thought he was in control, and generally just singing great here.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yeah, I came for Phil Collins, but I stayed for ?uestlove.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not a bad performance at all, but very concerning seeing him when the song was over. I had hope that he could return to performing, in some capacity, but watching that video, I'm not so sure now.

Didn't realize that he narrated the audiobook. Sounds like one to check out. Thanks, KB!
    I decided to pick up the audiobook for this reason. If anyone wants to listen to something EXTREMELY entertaining pick up Paul Stanley's autobio audiobook. I've never been a massive Kiss fan at all and his audiobook blew me away! Totally looking forward to Phil's audiobook!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Terrific video, thanks for sharing.

And I enjoyed the performance as well. PC sounded just fine given his age (he certainly didn't embarrass himself). And although he may have appeared a bit stiff early on, I'm not sure I'd read too much into that. It fit the with theatrical image being presented (i.e. - the non-performing musicians were also quite still although I was thinking PC might choke that mic stand with his left hand). Whether he has/had any aches & pains that might plague him isn't for any of us to say.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yea, he really looks stiff. I don't think turning the collar up on his polo shirt was a good idea as it makes him look even stiffer...
    perhaps that was a nod to Patrick Bateman (or maybe just the '1980s casual Yuppie look' in general)

You wanna talk about stiff: Questlove's drumming! Phil's (original) playing had such swing; and doing the iconic drum fill with just his right hand/single stick on the toms = lame! (But at least he had [to use] a set with single-headed toms to *approximate* the "sound" if not the actual playing style! )

I thought Questlove's version really took it to a new level, not unlike Trevor Rabin's reworking of Steve Howe's parts on the current ARW tour.

Really good performance from phil, the band and especially Questlove.
    Obviously a bit stiff, but then again who wouldn't be after the ordeals of the last few years.
    Hopefully PC's oeuvre will be revaluated to the degree it deserves

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    but I'm responding more to the emotion he's conveying - to me this rendition feels really connected to the lyric, and his phrasing is beautiful.
    IKR, it's like he's singing directly to Paul McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    If it wasn't you I'd think you're being sarcastic. He's singing OK, I mean he's mostly in tune but there's just no power in his voice and none of that raspiness and aggression (for lack of a better word) in the high notes that makes the original recording (and a lot of his other stuff in the 80s) sound so passionate. Though to be fair he lost that at least 15 years ago.
    Yeah, here's another recent .dodgy vocal performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX83OdqlY0E

I thought the band were terrific, Stuermer especially, and the drummer made a very good fist of the crucial bits.

Phil, though, sounds shot to pieces vocally. One thing for sure, he would struggle like hell to manage Genesis vocals now. A shame.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought Phil's vocals were fine.

Banned
    his book is pretty damn good, too, by the way, and way better than I expected. I just got it on audiobook on its release date of 10/25 (he narrates it himself). Highly recommended for Genesis and Phil fans!
    Thanks for the tip Bruce I'll be dl that tonight.

Here's hoping Phil gets back in the groove. I thought it was a labored performance and he wasn't enjoying himself out there... He has my admiration for giving it a go though.

I never liked Genesis after Hackett left, or Phil's solo material, but I think he sounded great here. Glad he can still belt it out!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.