Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand X What To Buy?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Percy sounds particularly good throughout, very clear and punchy tone.
    Might wanna take a look at the liner notes.

^ He plays on half the tunes, John Giblin the other half - both on Wall basses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Might wanna take a look at the liner notes.
    Yeah, I was aware Giblin was on about half the tracks. But you're right, I was surprised it wasn't Jones on Algon. So it's a bit less Percy than I thought. Still sounds good though. Seems to be more Percy on Do They Hurt, so it will be interesting to hear that.

I think Giblin switched to a Precision Bass for And So to F, it doesn't sound like the Wal on that one.

Bill

I was a bit surprised to hear them pull out a Giblin-associated piece for the tour, but then it dawned on me that Percy was already playing some of that material on tour 37 years ago.

Did the band split into two factions back then, or was it just a matter of who was around for the recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So Product arrived a few days ago and I've given it two spins. I must say, pretty good album.
    Bill
    Revisiting this one based on your comments. Love the 4th track, Not Good Enough-See Me! The drumming is phenomenal. And Aliens is another good one!

So Do They Hurt arrived the other day and I gave it a first spin last night. Got to say, I pretty much enjoyed it. There's that one song with the silly vocal effect that I could have lived without, but otherwise I think this is a pretty solid release. I'd definitely add these two to the Brand X albums worth investigating.

In fact, it's probably sacrilege, but I've bonded with these albums more quickly than their highly touted earlier work, which as I've said I find sometimes drift into unfocused and somewhat boring territory (to me). Product and Do They Hurt seem more consistent overall, though I readily admit the band's best material is on those earlier records.

Bill

^ For me that song reminds of King Crimson's 'Man with an open heart".

I was a bit surprised to hear them pull out a Giblin-associated piece for the tour, but then it dawned on me that Percy was already playing some of that material on tour 37 years ago.

Did the band split into two factions back then, or was it just a matter of who was around for the recordings?
    It was a logistical choice. They were able to record more material with two bands alternating on recording sessions. That's why they paired up the veteran rhythm section of Collins and Jones with Clark and Giblin. From Wikipedia:

In 1979, following the departure of Burgi, both Lumley and Collins returned to the group, along with bassist John Giblin and drummer Mike Clark. The band then commenced a series of recording sessions in April 1979, which would generate enough material for two albums, 1979's Product and 1980's Do They Hurt?. These took place at Startling Studios, located in Ringo Starr's countryside home (formerly owned by John Lennon), with two distinct line-ups made up of the eight band members operating in alternation. As Percy Jones later explained: "Our record and management companies were both complaining about poor record sales and telling us we had to make the music more accessible. Some of the guys agreed to go along with this, but I felt, that to do this would not generate a new audience but would probably just alienate the one that we already had. The only solution was to have two bands, one being more accessible and the other being more experimental. For my stuff the lineup was Robinson, Clark, Goodsall and me; for the other direction it was Lumley, Collins and Goodsall with John Giblin on bass. We recorded in shifts, ours was 8pm to 4am and the others, 10am to 6pm".
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

well after a bit of a long wait the trilogy set has arrived to my door.

have to say for the price the packaging is kinda cheap and does not recreate any of the original art (or notes as far as I know though I am not sure what was originally included).

also manifest destiny is lacking the hidden bonus tracks that I know many of the CDs had.

so while the live show is pretty great I don't think it has anything outrageously rare so you may be better off saving some money and grabbing those two albums separately.

still waiting for them to announce a west coast show come on brand X!

Missing out on the Manifest Destiny hidden tracks isn't missing out on a whole lot.

Missing out on the Manifest Destiny hidden tracks isn't missing out on a whole lot.
    not up to snuff? they are live tracks according to discogs so since I bought the box to get a bonus live disc somewhat lame to lose some live stuff (although I certainly prefer a vintage live recording to a newer lineup in most cases)

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    not up to snuff?
    No, they're fine, just not worth worrying about if you didn't get them.

Brand X – Nuclear Burn is a bargain!

The first 6 albums + bonus, and the remastered sound is very good!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Holy crap, Amazon has it now for $17.04!

I'd call that a bargain...

But is it authorized? Goodsall and Jones have been sold down the river numerous times....

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    But is it authorized?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Holy crap, Amazon has it now for $17.04!

I'd call that a bargain...

Link, please??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yes
    They were complaining about it when it came out, but I think I recall hearing that they were getting paid after all.

They were complaining about it when it came out, but I think I recall hearing that they were getting paid after all.
    Well, then I guessed right

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Link, please??
    Just search Amazon, although the $17.04 USD price is from a guy called oxfordshireEngland. The link provided is for $26 USD but that's still cheap for a 4-CD set

I swear when I searched yesterday the main price was $17.04 and there were 8 in stock.

Brand X is one of those bands from the 70s that i loved back then, (even saw them with Collins on drums), but doesn't do anything at all for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Brand X is one of those bands from the 70s that i loved back then, (even saw them with Collins on drums), but doesn't do anything at all for me now.
    The recent tours were excellent. Kenny G on drums and Chris Clark on keys were terrific with John and Percy. RIP John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I'm seeing for cheaper on the Amazon

Nuclear Burn https://a.co/d/9ZiHXqh